PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Approaches On Non-IFR Aircraft

LH2
4th Jul 2008, 01:05
I have a question, can anybody remember if you can legally fly an instrument approach in VMC with a non-IFR certified plane? Assuming instrument rated pilot.

My recollection is you can't, but I thought I would ask anyway.

IO540
4th Jul 2008, 06:25
Cannot see why not.

Loads of instrument training goes on in planes which would be illegal to fly IFR in the airspace in question, or illegal to fly IFR at all. The training is done as a VFR flight as far as the ATC are concerned.

But this may vary around Europe...

malc4d
4th Jul 2008, 16:44
So Cal

I'm sure it ok.
Most helicopter IR training in the states is done VFR in Robos and 300 s, and they ain't IFR machines.....................:)

When we do it in F/w or Rotor we just ask for a VFR practise approach.........

LH2 are you asking about EU rules or US ?

LH2
4th Jul 2008, 18:37
Simple question. Here I am on my VFR flight with my single donk spamcan fitted with the nav kit (VORx2, DME, ADF, ALTx2, AIx1) but not approved for IFR (non-FM immune, amongst other things), and I'm approaching an airport in Europe, which looks easier to get to by flying the instrument procedure (VORDME) than by joining VFR (reporting points inconveniently located and all that). Now if I were to ask ATC for the instrument approach, a) would they approve it? and b) would it be legal?

Just to make it clear, as this is hypotetical (yes, really) I'm not interested about alternatives to the scenario above other than asked, e.g., asking for a direct join without proceeding to the VRP first, which would be the normal solution in these cases.

Saw one such case the other day and got me wondering, that's all.

mm_flynn
4th Jul 2008, 20:04
I think there are a number of subtleties to the question and the answer will depend a bit on country, airspace, and possibly controller's view of how they manage the airspace.

In principle you can fly the vertical and profile of an instrument approach under VFR. The conversation in any part of Europe other than the UK is probably fairly simple as you will clearly not be IFR (having not arrived on an IFR clearance). I have had comment from some UK controllers that while flying the lateral and vertical profile of an approach may be legal they would not authorise this in Class D unless the flight was conducted under an IFR clearance (on the other hand I have had from the CAA SRG a response of 'why wouldn't you, we do it frequently').

In the UK it is a bit more complex if you are in an aircraft that is definitely not certified for IFR (as compared to simply not being FM immune) in that the controller can not know if you are VFR or IFR in Class G unless you specifically tell them. Hence it would be easy to have controller and pilot not share the same view of the flight rules being used (not good).

So I think the answer is (Aircraft not certified for IFR, pilot with IR rating)
1 - The airspace, country rules, ATC practice allows for aircraft to be cleared VFR via the lateral and vertical profile of an approach - Legal
2 - Something causes the clearance to be given as an IFR clearance (outside UK Class G) - illegal
3 - VMC, UK, Class G - legal (I can't think of any rule that prevents one from choosing to be IFR in VMC during the day - even in a non-IFR certified machine)

IO540
4th Jul 2008, 20:12
I too think the Q has various subtle angles to do with 'popup IFR clearances' more than with the weather prevailing when you are going down the ILS.

In practice, one will get away with non FM Immune avionics every time, IMHO.

BackPacker
4th Jul 2008, 22:29
The conversation in any part of Europe other than the UK is probably fairly simple as you will clearly not be IFR (having not arrived on an IFR clearance).

Even outside the UK the issue may be confusing. Personally, I've been in a situation twice (once as a student, once as a passenger in the back on another instruction flight) where the instructor requested the ILS 24 approach for Rotterdam and gotten it after some coordination with Amsterdam Approach. But the thing is, we were on a VFR flight plan in both cases. We never formally asked for an IFR flight plan to be opened. There was no indication whatsoever that our airplane was fully IFR capable, other than S/C on the FPL. There was no indication to ATC that the instructor was instrument rated. Yet both flights took us through the Amsterdam TMA, which is class A, without a formal declaration of SVFR. And in once case we actually went into IMC.

So to be honest, if you ask for something that's normally understood to be an IFR procedure, I think the controller is leaving it up to you to stay legal, but he will treat you as an IFR arrival, regardless of what's actually on the FPL.

Oh, and I don't think he'd be happy if you deviated from the procedure "due cloud".

(To be fair, the aircraft was IFR capable and the instructor, who was PIC on both flights, was instrument rated and even an instrument rating instructor, so we were legal, but ATC had no way of knowing this.)

englishal
5th Jul 2008, 00:49
I once shot the ILS into L2k...despite being on a VFR FP. Just asked the controller if we could shoot the ILS and he said yep no problem.

M609
5th Jul 2008, 05:27
I've never seen a flight progress strip (the info from the FPL the controller actually see) eighter in paper or electronic format include details from field 10.

In practice the controller don't give a toss is you have an IFR sertified aircraft or not, if you ask for an IFR approach.

It's not the controllers job to second guess the pilot as to his/her credentials AND indeed the aircrafts credentials. If I have a aircraft on an VFR flight plan that asks for an IFR clearence for whatever reason, I see no reason other then traffic not to grant its request. The only reason I've ever had to ask a pilot about his/her IR status, is when aircraft on VFR flights gets stuck VFR on top or run into IMC low level and a climb to MSA is fast becoming one of few options. (I.E ask if IFR flight in IMC is an option for that particular flight)

IO540
5th Jul 2008, 06:26
Even outside the UK the issue may be confusing. Personally, I've been in a situation twice (once as a student, once as a passenger in the back on another instruction flight) where the instructor requested the ILS 24 approach for Rotterdam and gotten it after some coordination with Amsterdam Approach. But the thing is, we were on a VFR flight plan in both cases. We never formally asked for an IFR flight plan to be opened. There was no indication whatsoever that our airplane was fully IFR capable, other than S/C on the FPL. There was no indication to ATC that the instructor was instrument rated. Yet both flights took us through the Amsterdam TMA, which is class A, without a formal declaration of SVFR. And in once case we actually went into IMC.I think that strictly speaking what happened there is that you asked for an IFR clearance, got it, an IFR flight plan got opened (implicitly) and then you proceeded IFR to destination. This can be done anywhere, but can take a bit of time because one may need to hand you over to a higher-up controller. My experience of doing it in France is that it either takes a few mins, or is instant if the controller is the same bloke.

What one cannot ever do, it seems, is an IFR departure without a full IFR flight plan filed via Eurocontrol.

ATC's job does not include asking the pilot if he has the right bits of paper. Sometimes they suspect you don't but even then they don't like to get into this. I could tell a story or two...

In the UK, this whole business is pretty informal because of the large # of pilots who have the IMC Rating and who can and do randomly (and legally) switch from VFR to IFR in Class G. You can just turn up at any airport and ask for an ILS or whatever. The Q of whether you are VFR or IFR is not likely to be even asked. The exception is Cranfield :) who will tell you to go away because they have training traffic - however if you flew there on a Eurocontrol flight plan they would have had to accept you.

In the UK, it gets more involved if you want a clearance into Class A but even those can be done. They have to hand you over to London Control or whatever.

IMHO the Q of whether FM Immunity is required if the conditions are VFR and the VFR/IFR flight status is never formally established on the radio, is a grey area.

Fuji Abound
5th Jul 2008, 08:06
I think that strictly speaking what happened there is that you asked for an IFR clearance, got it, an IFR flight plan got opened (implicitly) and then you proceeded IFR to destination. This can be done anywhere, but can take a bit of time because one may need to hand you over to a higher-up controller. My experience of doing it in France is that it either takes a few mins, or is instant if the controller is the same bloke.

I think this is the key.

As we know in the UK you cant fly an approach in CAS without FM immunity. The ANO does not distinguish between flight conditions it simply refers to IFR. As we also know in the UK you can be IFR in VMC without a IR or IMCr, but in Europe you cannot be IFR without an IR. Consequently the pilots license priviliges gets wrapped up with the aircrafts equipment.

Strictly you could not accept an IFR approach clearance in VMC without the carriage of the correct equipment.

The issue is therefore whether you have or have not been given an IFR clearance.

I dont see because you are flying an approach you MUST be IFR, but of course in the majority of cases you will be and the controller will apply IFR standards. On the other hand I have very rarely heard a controller specifically asking if you are IFR. If you are coming off airways as would be usual or in the UK en route but under an IFR clearance the contract will have already been agreed with approach radar. I guess the usual rules apply for establishing a contract between controller and pilot. A contract cannot be implied - both parties have to consent. Therefore if an aircraft pitches up under a VFR en route "clearance" or FP and asks to fly the approach (he might even say I would like a vectored approach for ILS 25, but will maintain VMC at all times) unless the controller specifically states that he is giving you an IFR clearance and you agree to that contract then the flight remains under VFR. If he does offer you an IFR clearance and you decline then I guess the controller might be entitled to refuse you the approach, but I see no good reason why he should do so. I suppose one possibility is that if he has other aircraft in the approach procedure who are on an IFR clearance he might feel that because you will not / cannot accept an IFR clearance he has no guarantee that either you or the aircraft or both will be able to operate to IFR standards and that this could endanger other traffic. Arguably the fact you are VMC has nothing to do with his assessment because as we know pilots can assess their position totally inaccurately under VMC or exhibit very poor altitude control. As we know their are many fields with some form of approach without any radar feed so the controller is totally reliant on the pilots to guarantee they are where they say they are.

In summary, perhaps the answer is you cannot accept an approach without the corect equipment IF you accept an IFR clearance. If you do not accept an IFR clearance then you are VFR and can fly with only the equipment required for visual flight rules.

Reminds me that an aircraft sometimes does have a mind of its own in the sense that even though the pilot is qualified to do something the aircraft is not. I guess that is why when the pilot announced the aircraft was going around after failing to establish visual the controller asked what the pilots intentions were. The pilot replied "I guess I had better go around with it".

bjornhall
5th Jul 2008, 09:22
I did that just the other day...

Heading home from training (in Class C airspace, as usual around here), instructor called up approach asking if we could be vectored for the ILS approach for traiining purposes. Not a problem, flew the ILS (me under the hood at the time), handed off to tower etc etc, landed from the ILS. But no doubt in anyone's mind that we were VFR and in VMC the whole time.

When it's not busy, people frequently call up asking for a straight in approach (i.e., bypassing the VFR reporting points), or are given an approach clearance from tower before even reaching the CTR. That's how I'd see following an instrument approach VFR in VMC; no different from any other non-standard flightpath when arriving VFR at a controlled airport.

Then again, we don't have that grey zone of aircraft in Class G being VFR/IFR/both?/neither?? without telling anyone...

Fuji Abound
5th Jul 2008, 09:45
When it's not busy, people frequently call up asking for a straight in approach (i.e., bypassing the VFR reporting points),

Of course, a straight in approach is not a procedural approach. There is no doubt it is flown under VFR in the same way as any other approach clearance (such as an overhead join, or join right base etc).

I think this question is only relevant to where a published procedural approach is being requested, not any form of VFR join.

bjornhall
5th Jul 2008, 09:51
I think this question is only relevant to where a published procedural approach is being requested, not any form of VFR join.

My point is that while you are VFR the "instrument approach" is a VFR join.

belowradar
7th Jul 2008, 09:44
In the UK request a "straight in approach" used to do this a lot at EGTE to practice ILS sometimes on a Trial Lesson. Must maintain VFR though.

LH2
7th Jul 2008, 12:17
I've never seen a flight progress strip (the info from the FPL the controller actually see) eighter in paper or electronic format include details from field 10.

Interesting. I've always assumed that when I was getting direct clearances to some obscure reporting point it was because the controller knew I was RNAV capable from the FPL. So they were essentially just banking on me to figure out how to get there one way or another? :)

IO540
7th Jul 2008, 12:36
I've always assumed that when I was getting direct clearances to some obscure reporting point it was because the controller knew I was RNAV capable

I think this one can be argued two ways.

Formally, ATC don't care how you find your way around so long as you are outside CAS. It's not their problem.

If the ATCO does actually care, and many VRPs are seriously hard to find for all other than the locals, especially if you have to circumnavigate a chunk of CAS to get to the VRP which is on the other side of the airport, the only easy way is to have a moving map GPS which shows the VRPs on the map. IOW, I agree with you :)

dont overfil
7th Jul 2008, 13:17
I have been asked if we could accept an SRA for controller training. This was in class D and the controller knew the aircraft was not IFR equipped, (he flew it).
At night we were often offered an ILS if traffic permitted.
DO.

FullyFlapped
7th Jul 2008, 15:17
What one cannot ever do, it seems, is an IFR departure without a full IFR flight plan filed via Eurocontrol.

For SIDs, I'd agree : however on several occasions (in the UK), I've requested a "non-standard IFR departure direct XXX climbing to ... etc" when booking out, and always been given it.

IO540
7th Jul 2008, 15:41
Yes, in the UK you can do that, if disappearing into Class G. Once outside the ATZ they don't care what happens to you.

There are various nooks and crannies in this stuff. I am sure you could fly from Southampton to Bournemouth at FL50 (so remaining within a shared chunk of Class D) but that would work because the two units work closely together.

I don't think you could do an ad hoc (no IFR flight plan filed) departure from say Bournemouth to Manchester, FL100. Maybe one can? Bournemouth would be entitled to say they haven't got a flight plan so hard luck!

However if already airborne, you could - at a stretch - convert a VFR flight into an IFR clearance and continue IFR in Class A for another 100 miles. I don't know the exact process for this; I guess somebody in ATC would have to knock up a basic route for you and type it in so that London Control can see a route on their computer.

Also, in the UK, you can depart "VFR" into OVC002 :) if the airport does not have any published VFR minima, and I think most OCAS (but with ATC) airports don't have these.

Fright Level
7th Jul 2008, 19:43
convert a VFR flight into an IFR clearance and continue IFR in Class A for another 100 miles

Done this a couple of times using Z or Y (VFR>IFR and IFR>VFR) in Item 8 on the flight plan, eg Z then BIG/N0150A050 IFR if planning to enter controlled airspace there. Also seems to remove any slot restriction as you're departing VFR but I have had the case where the controller refused me entry via BIG to go IFR>VFR and (incorrectly) asked that I descend out of controlled airspace over DVR.

Full details in CAP694.

IO540
7th Jul 2008, 20:29
Yes but I was talking about doing it on a popup clearance.

Of course you can do it on a flight plan filed before departure; it's called Z or Y.

If one can do a popup clearance and then fly around IFR for hours, I'd be interested in knowing how it works. Not saying it can't be done, but it won't make one very popular :)

LH2
7th Jul 2008, 21:38
Formally, ATC don't care how you find your way around so long as you are outside CAS. It's not their problem.

In my case, that was IFR inside CAS, very busy too, which is why they don't let you get on with flying the airway. It was very much their problem indeed :}

If the ATCO does actually care, and many VRPs are seriously hard to find for all other than the locals

Ah, I see where the confusion comes from. I said reporting points when I meant intersections (the five-lettered stuff). Apologies.

Wrong Stuff
7th Jul 2008, 23:52
If one can do a popup clearance and then fly around IFR for hours, I'd be interested in knowing how it works. Not saying it can't be done, but it won't make one very popular
Yes, you can do it with the phrase "I wish to file an airborne flight plan". A Google search for that phrase should give you the details. In the UK I guess you'll usually get passed to London Information to take the details. I've only needed to use it once myself when a Z flight plan went missing on a flight from Sicily to Corsica and the controller insisted there was nothing in the system. Having already taken off VFR and flown a fair distance from the departure airfield, I filed a new airborne flight plan with the Sicilian sector controller. You're right - it's a long winded process and doesn't make the controller's day.

englishal
8th Jul 2008, 01:47
Saw a 737 full of pax do that (in the States ;)) His flight plan had got lost and the controller was getting a bit arsey so the pilot said "ok, we'll depart VFR and file with LA Centre once airbourne"

Got to love the usa :ok:

mm_flynn
8th Jul 2008, 09:23
When I first moved over to the UK from the US I was on a flght routing towards DTY under a LARS service (proably from Waddington) and he asked my intention re the descending airways. So I said, "Can I Airfile IFR and stay at this level" - he said, ":eek::mad::= ..." or something like that.

I think true adhoc IFR flight plan requests at the enroute levels are a massive pain for UK ATC to process. This compares with the US, which seems to have an 'Instant Flight Plan button' and can generally get you sorted very quickly.

The 'adhoc' process is different from the process of airfiling with someone like London Information (which although sometimes difficult over the RT seems to work the same as calling Heathrow and dictating it down the phone) and allowing a reasonable amount of time for them to work it through the normal system before getting a joining clearance.

IO540
8th Jul 2008, 11:37
With satellite internet, you could log onto homebriefing.com and file an IFR FP while in the air ;)

There is also AFPEx of course but I am not sure one could get through their anti-KGB-snooping login procedure (actually completely insecure if somebody else has physical access to the PC) before the fuel ran out :)

englishal
10th Jul 2008, 08:26
seems to have an 'Instant Flight Plan button' and can generally get you sorted very quickly.
I was once caught out by that though....Coming back to LA from the desert, 100 miles vis in the desert, ****e in the LA basin. Called up and asked for IFR - I could almost hear the controller chuckle when he said "ookkkkkkaaaayyyy - hold on the paradise 270 radial, time now 10 expect further clearance at 47".....Umm, roger, cancel IFR.:O

Julian
10th Jul 2008, 09:02
Pop up IFR is brilliant in the US, I had the same thing. I had just dropped a mate off on a flight from Van Nuys to Palm Springs and the weather as with EA was perfect outside the basin and crap inside it!

Called up and got an IFR clearance in complete with vectors to final - brilliant :)

J.