PDA

View Full Version : Logging glider hours

Lister Noble
2nd Jul 2008, 16:59
I am about to embark on a gliding course.
I have a PPL (SEP) and log my flying in a small (A5?) blue Transair log book.
There are places to enter SEP and Multi day and night hours,also columns for instrument and other flying but no hours columns for these two.
I would really like to log all my flying in this one book,including glider hours.
Can I do this with anotation or do I log glider hours in a seperate log book?
I'm sure I will be told what to do when I start but I'm just wondering if others have had this problem.

Lister:)

MIKECR
2nd Jul 2008, 17:06
I work 2 different logbooks. I have an official BGA book for my gliding time and a JAR FCL book for my power flying.

You are of course only legally obliged to keep a record of your flying time, it doesnt state anywhere in what type of format that should be. You could in theory write your hours on the back of a fag packet and it wouldnt matter.

Best advice however, get a BGA logbook(its not expensive, just a paperback) as your gliding time will be recorded much more logically and sensibly, especially if you pitch up at another club and want to fly one of their aircraft.

BackPacker
2nd Jul 2008, 17:10
I had the exact same problem two weeks ago. Just remember the law specifies that you have to record your hours in some permanent form and supply them, upon request, within a reasonable timeframe, to the authorities. The law does specify WHAT you need to record, but not HOW to record it.

My logbook is the Jeppesen Professional one (only one that was available at the flight school I trained). It has columns for SE, ME and two blank columns behind that. I simply used these for Glider and TMG, respectively. I also added the flight time to the total time column and since I was training with an instructor on board, used the "dual" column. Had the instructor sign. No problem.

So as far as my logbook is concerned, Glider and TMG are just different class ratings.

Gliding is great fun. Hope you enjoy the course.

DBisDogOne
2nd Jul 2008, 17:20
I put my gliding in the "Other flying" column in my main PPL logbook (which doesn't count in my hours total) and keep a separate BGA logbook for gliding only. Don't know if this is correct or otherwise but it seemed the logical answer.

Lister Noble
2nd Jul 2008, 17:32
Thanks for the prompt replies.
So it looks like two log books ,the BGA official one and also log glider type and registration flight times etc but not hours in the original one.
Thanks a lot
Lister:ok:

Arclite01
2nd Jul 2008, 22:31
Tibenham ?? - You'll just love it mate

Arc

Lister Noble
3rd Jul 2008, 08:46
Arc,
Yes,Tibbenham,probably end of next week as they have a competition running for the next few days.
Exercised the Cub yesterday,lovely flight just bimbling around.
Best wishes

stiknruda
3rd Jul 2008, 09:20
Lister,

Arc took me up in his glider a few years ago. I logged the flights and times in my powered logbook in a different colour but did not add the times to my totals.

I also glued in a very pretty picture of the glider.

Was told that you were playing music on Sunday. Did you watch the show?

Stik

sollas
3rd Jul 2008, 09:43
Hi Lister,

Great place to stay over, good facilities, good people. Rach and Eddie will look after you in the bar and for food. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

I log my gliding in a different log book to my power flying, keeps it simpler I think. Most of the other people that do both at my club I think have separate log books as well as far as i know.

Have fun

sollas :ok:

chrisN
3rd Jul 2008, 10:01
For some gliding purposes, recording the type of launch – aerotow, winch, catapult etc. (there are others too!) can be important. The gliding logbook has a column for this. People who use a power logbook and spare columns or whatever would be well advised to at least make a note in the remarks section, in case e.g. currency on type of launch comes into question. Really, separate books are better for most purposes.

There can be an issue of which to use for certain flights. E.g. on my gliding instructor training course, before I had done any power flying as such, we used a small powered aircraft for some spin training, to obtain a higher rate of rotation than happens with most gliders. I had no choice but to record it in my gliding logbook.

If you fly TMGs at some point, they might count as gliding (like SLMGs) or power. I did some of both – when flying a Falke as a glider (Instructor doing the power bit) I put it in my gliding logbook. When obtaining what was then a class D to add to my PPL class A, it went into my power logbook. Under EASA, I don’t know how that will evolve or be clarified.

Hope this helps.

Chris N.

Lister Noble
3rd Jul 2008, 13:17
Thanks again for replies.
I live near Tibbenham which is also next door to Priory Farm where we keep the L4 Cub,and I sampled Rachels food yesterday.
I have flown in gliders a few times before I had my licence, but it will mean a lot more to me now.

Stik,
Yes we played at Old Buck airshow on Sunday ,and I saw your very accomplished display.
I thought the whole day was great,fantastic displays and an enormous crowd of people to watch it all,in stunning weather.
We also played on Saturday night in Pulham for a friends 50th.
Would you PM me your telephone number as it was on my old PC which is now no more.

stiknruda
3rd Jul 2008, 15:14
Lister,

Thank you for your kind words. We each put 40hours into our logbooks working up to that show!

You should have my numbers by PM.

S

kestrel539
3rd Jul 2008, 20:05
Under the present rules, once you have a "Silver C" , you no longer have to log your gliding launches/hours

David Roberts
3rd Jul 2008, 21:08
Under future EASA rules you will have to keep a log book

Arclite01
4th Jul 2008, 02:13
Hey Stik - 4 years ago !!:}

Lister - enjoy - see my earlier post re: thermalling the cub - it'll change your perspective massively

cheers y'all

Arc