PDA

View Full Version : Thielert update

BackPacker
2nd Jul 2008, 08:42
Well, we haven't had a good Thielert debate in here since, what, two weeks? So I thought I raise one.

Just kidding. But I was browsing the APEX site for information on the Cap 10C, particularly flight tests (if anyone knows/has one, much appreciated) and I noticed a lot of Thielert related stuff on their "news" page. So I browsed it, and then browsed the Thielert site some more.

Here's what seems to be happening right now:

The insolvency administrator has Thielert back into production. Not just spare parts but also complete 2.0 engines at the same rate as before the crisis. All spare parts and complete engines are covered by normal EU warranties, but the "pro rata" warranty is NOT valid at this time. Payment for spare parts and complete engines need to be done in advance.

Due to insolvency legal issues, anybody who bought anything before the insolvency is now a creditor and should stand in line for any warranty issue. For this group, Thielert is working on extending lifetime limits, particularly focusing on the gearbox.

The insolvency administrator is meeting with, according to his claims, more than 50 potential investors. Diamond has made some noise about setting up a consortium together with Piper and Cessna who would then be one of those investors. But it looks like Piper and Cessna are holding off right now. APEX (think Robin 135 CDI Ecoflyer) is not mentioned in this context.

There are denied rumours about a 100 MEUR/159 M$ asking price, and Diamond was talking about wanting to invest up to 79 M$ in such a consortium. So that's your ballpark figure for what people think Thielert is worth.

THIELERT (http://web.thielert.com/)
APEX - Aircraft (http://www.apex-aircraft.com/en/communiques/communiques.php)

(Disclaimer: This is what I read on their website. I am in no way associated with Thielert, Diamond or any other player, or have inside information on what's going on. I do fly the DA-40TDI and DR400-135CDI so I have a vested interest.)

Squeegee Longtail
2nd Jul 2008, 14:42
Who says these engine are unreliable? I have flown nearly 8 hrs on type and have not had a single engine failure!

BartV
2nd Jul 2008, 15:31
Who says these engine are unreliable? I have flown nearly 8 hrs on type and have not had a single engine failure!

Wauw! Man, you are really messing up the statistics :ugh:

jxk
2nd Jul 2008, 17:44
Just recently, I had the opportunity to be shown around the APEX factory. It was a wonderful experience and I have to thank M. Pellissier for taking the time to give me the guided tour. M. Pellissier is the person talking on the video about the ECOFLYER. and in discussions with him, he didn't think it would be very long before Thielert's problems would be overcome.

A and C
2nd Jul 2008, 19:32
I hope that thisall gets sorted out, the engine seems to work very well in the DR400 (unlike the PA28 & C172) and if the numbers from Robin are Accurae they are on to a real winner.

My only problem is tha they won't retro fit the DR400, having spent lot getting the avionics the way I like them I am not about to sell the aircraft and so Thelert are not going to sell me an engine! (with the fuel tanks fitted in my aircraft the Thelert engine will give an endurance of about 11 hours!)