PDA

View Full Version : Aeroclub Como - seaplane lesson

tuscan
1st Jul 2008, 09:51
Im heading to Lake Como soon on my motorcyle and couldn`t resist the temptation to book an hour with one of the instructors at the club.
Does anyone have any tips of what to go and see rather than just relying on being treated as just another tourist?

irish seaplane
1st Jul 2008, 12:01
Been there a few times....

Lads there sort of know it all and nothing really impresses them. But my tips...

1) Take your flight in the Super Cub rather than 172, and book this and confirm.

2) Ask for the "River Landings" at Leggo... Dont be surprised when they tell you its illegal. You just have to push right buttons.

3) You can try ask for the interesting stuff... Down current docking, bows to docking, plow turns downwind in wind, short lake glassy landings, restricted area take offs = but it all depends on their mood.

Enjoy

Irish

tuscan
1st Jul 2008, 14:15
My Wife is coming along for the ride so its the 172 and its already booked. Does that rule out your point 2?

Thanks for the info, I cant wait. Its pricey though €300/hr but hey, doesn`t look like I`ll regret it.

Lister Noble
1st Jul 2008, 14:44
I looked at a Cessna 206 in Norway in June and that was £450/hr!
Lister:(

tuscan
1st Jul 2008, 15:20
:uhoh: Sake!!!!!!!! or "For Satan det koste for meget" as they say with horns on up there...Thats pretty steep, where you buying a share???????

Talkdownman
1st Jul 2008, 16:29
At Como buy yourself some dual in the Caproni CA100 with Caesari Baj.

http://www.aeroclubcomo.com/En/Description.asp

Lister Noble
1st Jul 2008, 18:01
£450 was for an hour on my own in the 206,with the pilot of course!
It did sound dear at the time so I didn't take it up.
I paid exactly the same in the UK for my 1 hr renewal flight with instructor in a Stearman,but I did get to fly it nearly all the time and do a loop or two.
Lister:)

Blink182
1st Jul 2008, 21:07
tuscan..........get yourself a copy of a recent Loop newspaper/ magazine.

They had quite a big spread and article on flying at Lake Como:ok:

tuscan
2nd Jul 2008, 09:10
Blink, where do I get a copy of that?

Just googled it and have now registered:ok::ok:

Blink182
2nd Jul 2008, 09:26
tuscan........

Try here........ LOOP.aero (http://www.loop.aero/Default.aspx)

I guess that if you register you can request back copies............. would send you mine but I always read it and then leave it in the crew room at work.:ok:

The copy you want has the SuperCub on floats at Como on the cover...Headlined " Italian Job "

tuscan
2nd Jul 2008, 10:08
Thanks Blink, I have registered and will try and get that one. I need to get home and get my licence No for them before they will send out the mag but will get onto it at once. I hope their pilots are better than their drivers,rode my bike around mid and lower Italy a couple of weeks ago and it was frightening.

BRL
2nd Jul 2008, 10:50
I think I have a copy of that one at work. If you can't get hold of it I will send you mine. :)

tuscan
2nd Jul 2008, 13:28
Thats very kind of you, I will pm you if I need it:ok:

On the Spot
2nd Jul 2008, 19:45
I saw that you were planning to take the wife in the 172 on floats.
I would check as when I did my float rating in the US I was told that the 180HP 172 was a little underpowered on floats.
I can also second the suggestion to use the SuperCub for fun, 150 or 180HP were great fun - as was getting my largish frame through the door.

gasax
3rd Jul 2008, 08:17
A C172 with 180hp and 2100lb or larger floats is fine three up. No ball of fire but still better than a C172 with150/160hp and long or short wings (Canadian mod can give extended wingspan) on Edo or CAP 2000s.

Of course if they had a C180 it would be better still, but in Europe the fuel prices do hurt somewhat!

I would worry less about the type - almost anything on floats is more fun than wheels. Granted a powerful and light machine is really excellent fun but you need quite a bit of practice to start getting the real benefits of that performance. As you're going there possbily not even for the rating and sharing it then just enjoy the experience.

However do try and arrange at least an 'out and back' trip with a destination where you can get at least a cup of coffee. It will wow your partner and probably hook you!

tuscan
3rd Jul 2008, 08:26
Gasax, its my wife, already hooked and nothing impresses:bored:
I have checked with aeroclub como and they assure me three up is not a problem.
I might just for the hell of it though book another hour in something a bit sportier, a bit of "me time":E

Sam LOOP
3rd Jul 2008, 13:38
Tuscan,

if you PM me your address i'll send one out from the office today. The whole piece is beautifully done.
Sam

tuscan
3rd Jul 2008, 15:15
Sam,Ive sent you a pm, thanks everyone for fast and positive response. I will let you know how it went when I get back some time early August.

BRL
3rd Jul 2008, 17:11
Look forward to hearing about it. Sounds like a blast!

The bike trip alone will be worthy of a write up!!

tuscan
4th Jul 2008, 11:46
Im not sure if anyone on here would be interested in the whole trip due to the lack of aviation although I have booked some time with Nearly Heaven at Limoges on the way back up through France and also hope to get the odd flight in at some Alpine fields if possible, they do look stunning.
I`ll maybe do a right up on the motorcycle forum and put the link in for anyone who`s interested.

The whole thing started about four weeks ago in Villefranche sur Mer (between Nice and Monoco), which is where I got the bike shipped. A blast around the mid and lower parts of Italy and next week its up into the Mountains.

Thanks for your enthusiam:ok:

tuscan
8th Jul 2008, 09:32
Sam, magazine and LOOP turned up today, thanks:ok:

PH-UKU
8th Jul 2008, 10:51
A C172 with 180hp and 2100lb or larger floats is fine three up. No ball of fire but still better than a C172 with150/160hp and long or short wings (Canadian mod can give extended wingspan) on Edo or CAP 2000s.

Of course if they had a C180 it would be better still, but in Europe the fuel prices do hurt somewhat!

For that extra oomph, the Reims Rocket is a good bet. 210HP, 6cyl nad CS prop. About half the running costs of a 206 and only about 200lbs less useful carry capacity. ;)

If you find yourself in Scotland over the summer, and I happen to be there
I'd be delighted to show you some 172 flying ...
(http://www.scotlandonfloats.com)

tuscan
9th Jul 2008, 11:48
Ive just looked at your link, looks great:ok: I will have to start saving my pennies once Im back in Scotland as Im sure I`ll catch the float bug on Como.
Good luck with your trip:D

Hogster
9th Jul 2008, 15:24
It looks like we're doing the same thing this summer tuscan! My wife and I are off to Lake Como in a couple of weeks on our motorbikes and I'm hoping to get a chance to fly a seaplane from Como while we're there. If the CAA PLD send my new PPL licence in time, that is.

Also, I stayed at Nearly Heaven for a week earlier in the year while doing PPL lessons. We had a great flight to Ile d'Yeu (LFEY (http://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/aip/enligne/PDF_AIPparSSection/VAC/AD/2/0808_AD-2.LFEY.pdf)), a great little airfield on an island 25nm off the coast. Runway 14 threshold is just beyond the rocky coastline, quite spectacular. There's some good food in the harbour restaurants too, a short taxi ride from the airfield. Only French spoken on the AFIS however.