PDA

View Full Version : Desert Flying books...

Sam Rutherford
29th Jun 2008, 16:42
Anybody know one?

I have some great books on Bush flying, mountains etc. etc. but can't find anything at all on desert flying (either fixed wing or rotary)!

Thanks, Sam.

homeguard
29th Jun 2008, 21:25
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. 'The Wind, the Sun and the stars' and 'Southern Mail' to name only two by him. Saint-Exupery spent much of his flying life as a mail pilot ferrying across the Sahara Desert.

Saint-Exupery is probably best known for his wonderful childrens story: 'The Little Prince' which is full of brilliant but simple philosophy.

skua
30th Jun 2008, 16:14
I read the autobiography of Alex Kimball (I think I got that right) about 5 years ago. He flew fixed wing in the AAC in Oman and similar places. Very entertaining and instructive. However I have just tried to find it on Amazon, with no luck.

Skua

rusty sparrow
30th Jun 2008, 16:20
Going Solo - Roald Dahl's autobiography has some good stories of flying (and crashing) in the desert.

AfricanEagle
30th Jun 2008, 20:13
"Open cockpit over Africa" by Victor Smith (isbn 0 7985 0773 X)

Flying Cape Town to London in the 1930s and crashing in the Sahara, and how to survive walking 50 miles in the desert.

A good read.

Justiciar
1st Jul 2008, 12:23
I read the autobiography of Alex Kimball (I think I got that right) about 5 years ago. He flew fixed wing in the AAC in Oman and similar places. Very entertaining and instructive. However I have just tried to find it on Amazon, with no luck.

Amazon.co.uk: Think Like a Bird: An Army Pilot's Story: Alex Kimbell: Books (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1840371757/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top)

Cracking good story :ok:. His accounts of training on an AOP9 and flying a DH Beaver are flying lessons in themselves.

Floppy Link
1st Jul 2008, 12:33
"War Diaries of Neville Duke"

lost of Desert Air Force stuff in there, fascinating read.

snapper41
1st Jul 2008, 14:04
'A Good Clean Fight' by Derek Robinson. Fiction; it's the sequel to the excellent 'Piece of Cake' and follows the fortunes of Hornet Sqn in the Western Desert campaign.