PDA

View Full Version : Getting a FI ticket with a OML

PIELORD
28th Jun 2008, 15:55
Hi

Is is possible to teach PPL students whilst having a OML on my Class one medical?

Thank you for your help in advance!

homeguard
28th Jun 2008, 17:45
Yes

In my experience you would most likely be restricted to flying with students only when they have completed their 1st solo.

PIELORD
28th Jun 2008, 19:10
Thank you for replying homeguard, thats really good news! :ok: Do you know if this would effectively leave with a permanent FI(R) due to the inability to sign off 25 Solo's?

Thank you again for your help.

Whopity
28th Jun 2008, 22:05
It surely depends upon what the OML is for; only the CAA can really give you an answer to the question. I have seen an absurd situation where a pilot has an OML on a Class 1 but not on a Class 2. He can give ab initio instruction on the Class 2, if unremunerated.

If you were not allowed to teach prior to 1st solo, there would be little point being an FI! in any event, it would have no bearing on 25 solo signs off as they are all post first solo!

homeguard
29th Jun 2008, 10:03
Whopity

Of course, you are correct in that the CAA, being the horses mouth, is the final decider although, that said, in these days of JAA and EASA they are sadly not always authoritative.

However, the precedent is set as I previously described. Even operating the FI on a Class 2 might still bear the OML, just the same as the Class 1.

PIELORD

A restriction to fly with a pre-solo student would not prevent you sending students on subsequent solos. The OML presumably is not a restriction on your mental capabilities (sic). Removing the restriction (r) from your rating would be just the same as any other FI(r).

As Whopity has already said your next move is to consult the CAA (medical section) to discover whether your OML will be applied to PPL instructing privileges - who knows.

PIELORD
30th Jun 2008, 10:44
Ok thank you to everyone who gave input :ok:

I shall duly consult the CAA and LASORS section A:O and see if I can gleam some further insight:)