PDA

View Full Version : Pilot crash lands into lake

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
26th Jun 2008, 13:49
A PILOT whose light aircraft made an emergency landing near Bradford on Avon had to be rescued from a private fishing lake by firefighters.

Pilot Crash Lands Into Lake (from Wilts and Gloucestershire Standard) (http://www.wiltsglosstandard.co.uk/display.var.2365949.0.pilot_crash_lands_into_lake.php)

Good to know that the driver's OK even if the aeroplane isn't very healthy.

Maps and directions (http://www.tiscali.co.uk/travel/maps/#map=51.36031,-2.23915|15|8&loc=GB:51.36169:-2.23547|bradford%20leigh|Bradford%20Leigh%2C%20Bradford-on-avon%2C%20Wiltshire%2C%20England%2C%20BA15%202)

Bad luck finding the lake.

Rod1
26th Jun 2008, 14:21
Aviation Forums for pilots - from FLYER Magazine (http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=45541&start=0)

Including comments from the pilot!

Rod1

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
26th Jun 2008, 14:45
Thanks for the Link.

At least this is one forced landing aeroplane the local pikeys (and there's loads round there) will find difficult to set on fire.

Supersport
26th Jun 2008, 21:19
Crazy stuff, lucky chap. No beer will have ever tasted so good :ok:

A Job well done :D

XL319
26th Jun 2008, 22:15
Why did he choose a lake? Are there no fields in wilts:E :}

On a more serious note....glad to see the pilot escaped unhurt :ok:

Union Jack
26th Jun 2008, 22:54
XL319

Why did he choose a lake?

If you read his surprisingly chipper entry in FLYER the lake chose him!

Jack

PS According to an eye-witness "Jerz" did some work on his laptop whilst waiting to be rescued rescue - probably looking for tips from Old Hairy's marvellous Sunderland thread ......

Nashers
26th Jun 2008, 23:05
i wonder what he was doin flying in the first place if the winds are 30kt! good to see all the training is time well spent.

papa oscar
27th Jun 2008, 01:08
i wonder what he was doin flying in the first place if the winds are 30kt! good to see all the training is time well spent.

What's wrong with 30kts of wind. If it's straight down the strip then there ain't a problem.

Bahn-Jeaux
27th Jun 2008, 08:44
Jerz, the lucky/unlucky pilot posted this,

Hi Guy's
I've got to own up it was me. :uhoh:
Long story, engine losing major power. Shutdown attempted forced landing into what looked like a reasonable field, the rest were no more than allotments.
Turning finals strong headwing 30kt ish realised not going to make it, when originaly it looked so good.
Other more immediate forward options no good "Schools , hospitals and large trees"
Whilst still time to turn 180ish for only remaining option now to land field ahead, not long enough wind behind me.
Visiting the tall hedge row and trees, slowing me before I disturbed some ducks in a small lake the other side.
It happens fast, hindsight is always wonderful.
I'm extremely lucky, just a few bruises and a lot of hurt pride.
Poor Lima India will be no more. :{:{

If you follow further you will find that he clipped the trees, losing a wing in the process before pancaking into a fishing lake he didnt even know was there. One very lucky chap.

Guys.
I've loads to do for present so I'll be brief.
I wasn't aware of any water anywhere until I emerged the other side of the tree line now 1 wing less, backwards I fortunately pancaked onto the water, I kept the gear up I think.

As I scrambled out a fisherman on the bank shouted at me that the water was only about 5ft deep so I decided not to go swiming and wait for the next boat that came along. As a good skipper I stayed with my craft.

A bit of strong advice. You guys who DON'T wear your shoulder harnesses DO
I probably owe my life to the harness holding me tight and loads and loads of luck!

trident3A
27th Jun 2008, 10:24
How fortunate...well done that man. BBC report here:

BBC NEWS | England | Plane crash-lands in lake (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7475864.stm)

S-Works
27th Jun 2008, 10:40

That was just a troll right? 30kts is a light breeze. My favourite day Jersey to Leicester at 212kts in a 172......

dont overfil
27th Jun 2008, 12:00
30 kts? no problem in a "spamcan" as some of the lightweights like to call them.
DO.

Tim Shannon
27th Jun 2008, 17:29
There was actually a story on the crash in the Mail today, quite an odd sight looking at just the tail fin sticking out of the water. Lucky escape!

Croqueteer
27th Jun 2008, 18:43
:ok::Reg wsn't "G-GOOF" was it?

1800ed
27th Jun 2008, 19:03
i wonder what he was doin flying in the first place if the winds are 30kt! good to see all the training is time well spent. I was doing PFLs on Wednesday in the strong winds. I can understand why he had a few probalems!

barit1
27th Jun 2008, 19:09
We just had a similar event here in flyover country; engine failure, landed in the Ohio River, everyone swam away without injury. :ok:

1d2d3d4d
27th Jun 2008, 20:06
Looking on Google earth calling it a lake is a bit strong the measuring tool has at 60yds by 20yds. Or have I got the wrong place?

flybymike
28th Jun 2008, 00:15
Looks about the size of a duck pond. Quite a good shot really, even if not intended.....