PDA

View Full Version : PPL Training

Tim Shannon
24th Jun 2008, 22:16
Hi there, I'm looking into starting lessons for my PPL which I'm really looking forward to. However, I'm not sure what flying school I should be looking into. I live in the Norfolk/Cambridgeshire boarder region, do any of you know of any good flying schools in the local area?

Also, what is included in the class 2 medical that you require for your solo? I'm 15st 7lbs (I'm built like a brick sh!t house! lol), will that cause me to fail?

Thanks in advance :ok:

znww5
25th Jun 2008, 09:00
Hi Tim,

I'll leave others who know your neck of the woods to give advice on schools etc as I fly from Wellesbourne near Coventry. However it would probably help if you mentioned where on the Norfolk/Cambs border you are located as that's quite a large area!

The usual advice is:
1. visit several schools to sample the atmosphere and go for the one where you feel most comfortable
2. phone ahead or visit on a poor-weather day so people will have time to talk to you - the weekends can be very busy
3. never pay for large blocks of lessons unless you use a credit card to protect your money

Don't forget that you will need to pass a medical before you can fly solo, and it is wise to get that out of the way early on. The instructors will give you chapter and verse on the rest of the course.

The only other thing, given that you are 'amply proportioned' would be to sit in various aircraft with the instructor and the doors closed to see if it is comfortable for you. If you are broad shouldered you may find some of the 2 seaters rather cramped - you need to try them for size.

Finally, welcome to the world of private flying - I hope you will really enjoy yourself 'up there' :ok:

Tim Shannon
25th Jun 2008, 16:59
Hi, thanks for your reply. I live near Wisbech so more towards the west of the county. I've flown in a Cessna 152 I believe it was and that was fairly comfortable so I don't think I shall have too much trouble if I'm flying in a similar aircraft type.

Another thing, anyone know of good reference material/books that I can use for theory? Any online topics would be fantastic too.

Thanks again.:)

edit: I found a CAA approved flying school near Norwich which isn't too far away. They have the 152 which would suit me as I know the pit layout already. I've been on the ground for too long lol, last flight was nearly a year ago! :{

Say again s l o w l y
25th Jun 2008, 17:11
Since most instructors are of a similar size (due to the diet of bacon sarnies and coffee) then you might struggle in many 2 seaters when it comes to keeping the aircraft under the max take off weight. Don't worry about your weight for the medical.

Personally I think the best books are the Jeremy Pratt ones for PPL study, you can get them either from the club you join or from shops such as Transair or Pooleys.

Be careful about buying off Ebay, whilst it is usually OK, the books do change periodically and you might find yourself with something out of date, Air Law is the main one to watch for in that regard.

As for schools, as has been mentioned, go and have a look at all the clubs and schools and see where you feel most comfortable. Ask lots of questions and make sure that they don't do things like chop and change instructors regularily. That really stuffs up your training and will cost you more in the long term.

Be very careful about things like accounts and paying upfront. The general rule is just don't, no matter how much the school offers in discounts. There are too many tales around of schools going bust and taking all the money on account with them.

Good luck with it all and enjoy. It is great fun!

Whirlygig
25th Jun 2008, 17:16
Your nearest flying school is Fenland Flying School and I believe there are also school at Connington and Sibson. Norwich is a bit of trek!

The best books for the theory are either Trevor Thom series or those by Jeremy Pratt.

Cheers

Whirls

Tim Shannon
25th Jun 2008, 20:33
Ohhh, Fenland is actually really close to where I live. Does anyone have any comments on the school? Conington looks good too, I'd like to start with the 150/152 as I've flown the 152 before and know the pit layout well. I've only landed on tarmac runways before, how much of a difference does the grass strip make?

Thanks for all the replies! :)

SpeedbirdXK8
26th Jun 2008, 11:48
I highly recommend Fenland. Not sure whether Lee is still CFI, I heard a he had got a job flying jets.

mo0g
26th Jun 2008, 13:38
Cessna 152's are the standard a/c to learn in at most flying schools, so no worries there.

Wrt the medical, as has been said, get that out of the way asap - you don't want the (unlikely) situation of having had 10 hours or so of lessons and therefore spent nearly £2k only to find out you will never get your PPL due to medical reasons, however...

I dont think anyone has mentioned the NPPL as yet, which is a reduced version of the PPL in that it is limited to the UK and so on, but what it does mean is that you dont need the class 2 medical for it, only a GP sign-off to say you are fit to drive (and thereby fly). So, if you did happen to fail your class 2 medical, you still have the option of the NPPL, which may or may not be suitable for you.

Tim Shannon
26th Jun 2008, 16:50
Thanks, I'd prefer to go for the full PPL, but I'll bear that in mind.

What kind of things are covered in the C2 medical? I got my eyes tested a while ago and they were fine no problems there, I suppose its things like BP etc right?

Tim Shannon
26th Jun 2008, 19:39
Thanks for that info. I think I'll go down the NPPL route initially and then do the C2 med like you suggest.

I'm a little on the heavy side, and ate loads of crappy food when I was at 6th form so I think my cholesterol/BP may be a bit higher than they should be. I'm starting to go to the gym a few times a week too so I should be in good shape by the time I get towards getting my 45 hours as I will only be able to afford 1/2 hours per month.

Thanks for all the tips and info guys I really appreciate it :).