PDA

View Full Version : Road Angel Adventurer 7000 Gps

coodem
21st Jun 2008, 17:24
I have a friend who is after a moving map GPS, He is trying to do it on a budget, and has been looking at the road angel 7000, as he already has one for his car.

Question is are they any good for aviation, and can the regular car version be upgraded to allow the use of the CAA/memory map?

I assume he will have to buy the OS base map and then the CAA regional map

Any advise appreciated

jgs43
22nd Jun 2008, 07:15
Check out this site - http://www.blackspot.com/products/navigator7000/

The memory map CDs each contain the software programme to run the maps. there is no need to buy the OS maps as well as the CAA charts unless you have a need for both. While the CAA charts take up relatively little space on the SD card the OS maps are large files and can easily overwhelm a typical SD card.
The system that is suggested will provide a basic system on which you can plot routes but provide little else other than in fight information re position, track, g/speed etc.
I run memory map on a PDA but also have most of the OS maps and a large capacity SD card. I use memory map for the airspace information as it is more reliable than the airspace provided with the gliding software that I normally use when gliding. The memory map charts, I use mainly while flying power.

Memory map have recently changed the format though and the CAA charts now come as a seperate CD for each chart (previously you got each half mill plus all the relevant quarter inch low level charts on one CD)

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Jun 2008, 22:43
Is it not possible to get the FlyAngel/Flymap software separately to run on the RoadAngel hardware?

G