PDA

View Full Version : French ULMs

fauteuil volant
14th Jun 2008, 12:05
Does anyone know if the F-J*** register is replacing the system of registration marks starting with the département number followed by two letters for ULMs or whether the two registers will co-exist? I have noted ULMs carrying one or the other and sometimes both! Also are details of either register accessible online? Neither can be accessed on the DGAC website.

Piper.Classique
14th Jun 2008, 19:27
Hi there
You have two separate identifications here. The department and two letter ident is for the machine, and that is what you need to put on the wing.
The F-J*** is to identify the radio, as one radio can be used in several aircraft under french rules. If you have one radio and five aircraft then all five will have the same callsign. You aren't supposed to put this on the aircraft.

One radio can also be shared by several pilots who own the aircraft jointly, in this case each person will have a callsign beginning F-J. A flying club is considered as a person for this, so a Club can have one radio or many, each with a unique callsign. Clear as mud? It's so the authorities can find out who jammed Heathrow radar on tuesday afternoon.....:}

fauteuil volant
14th Jun 2008, 20:36
Thank you Piper Classique. I'm learning! However when I was at the RSA rassemblement at Chatellerault, I noted at least three ULMs carrying F-J*** marks - namely F-JKRH (Teknam Echo), F-JFQZ (AK Vega) and F-JXWA (goodness knows what!). Sadly I didn't also note what registration (if any!) these were carrying under their wings. Must try harder next time!