PDA

View Full Version : Will airlines ever sponsor a type rating again?

Toujours
13th Jun 2008, 12:24
Let's say a low hour pilot out of flightschool with 200 hours. Will airlines now or in the future ever pay for the type rating training (and create a bond with the recruit)

Or is it up to the the pilot to fund is own type rating?

MIKECR
13th Jun 2008, 12:54
There are plenty airlines out ther who offer a 'bond'. There are plenty of course who dont.

geordiejet
13th Jun 2008, 13:01
No, they won't. In fact, you will pay them, for the type rating, and most likely for line training, if the latest easyJet scheme is anything to go by.

It's bad enough as it is, but there are airlines, and wannabes willing to go to new lows every day (i.e. Flying_Clara et al). It's only going to get worse.

MIKECR
13th Jun 2008, 13:18
Not true geordiejet, there are still airlines out there who will either pay for your TR and bond you, or you pay the TR and they pay it back to you over a bond of 2/3 years. The typical operators who insist on you self funding your own TR are the likes of the low cast carriers and the bucket and spade charters.

I think half the problem is that most wannabee's come on here and dont realise that life actually exists beyond Easyjet, Ryanair, BMI and Thomas Cook.

They see a nice shiny FTO pic of some smiling numpty standing beside the big 'orange' airbus and dont realise there are actuall many other options open to them in the flying world.

TDK mk2
13th Jun 2008, 14:06
Loganair of Scotland still offer a deal of sorts which pays for the type rating to low hour pilots. It's a £12k loan from RBS I think which is in the candidates name. They then pay the candidate 1/36th plus a percentage over Bank of England interest base rate in addition to salary (starting circa £23k) over 3 years. If you leave that's fine with them and you pay off the remainder of your loan. Stay for 3 years and you'll pay nothing for your type rating and probably be up for a command as well...

MIKECR
13th Jun 2008, 14:42
Spot on with the Logie deal, its a 3 year bond(12k) for the saab. Starting salary for FO £23719 , flight pay £16 per duty and £140for working day off.

G SXTY
13th Jun 2008, 17:13
Or there's Flybe, who don't expect applicants to pay anything for the type rating. You are simply bonded for three years.

Then again, most of their aeroplanes have propellers, so they might not count . . .

Adios
13th Jun 2008, 20:38
Then there's BA, DHL and Aer Lingus.

SinBin
13th Jun 2008, 21:17
And bmi, 3 year bond

combineharvester
13th Jun 2008, 21:30
Re the Logan posts above: The money you "front" when you join is yours to find off your own back, they do not have an arrangement with RBS. The bond repayment is seperate from the salary, if you leave they just simply stop paying you back!

MIKECR's details are spot on, apart from a recent percentage pay increase.

MIKECR
14th Jun 2008, 18:07
Combine,

I was told by Logie that if there were problems finding the 12k then they could arrange the loan for you. Im not sure which lender its with though.

ps. how bad is the overcrewing??

Icanseeclearly
14th Jun 2008, 19:32
mikecr

You were bang on with the details you posted, obviously you are in the know.

The company is curently overcrewed especially in Glasgow (although there are the correct number of FO's in EDI and ADN). Last I heard we were not looking to recruit until late summer at the earliest.

MIKECR
14th Jun 2008, 20:07
Yes, im in the know. All recruitment has been put on hold for the timebeing. No TR courses expected til probably August or Sept, at the very earliest. Unless theres some movement beforehand then the wait could be even longer.