PDA

View Full Version : USA TSA and finger printing

Sakura-Ichiban
13th Jun 2008, 05:26
Well, finally arrived in the US and the same morning went to the TSA office and was duly fingerprinted, electronically so not so much of a wait time....... wrong I am still waiting here for clearance and it seems that with the "new" regulations, specific aurhorization to start Flight Training must be issued. Before only acknowlegement of finger printing was used as validation, now actual validation, clearance and then notification from the TSA is needed, so, put a few extra days into your schedule.

Let you all know when I can finally start. There is a good side to this, at least I can spend a little more time to study the US methods. I am in class B airspace at Honolulu and I can say that it is a little busier than my previous grass strip experience.

BackPacker
13th Jun 2008, 06:53
Are you sure they classified you in the right category? This is lifted directly from the TSA website:

Candidates in Category 3 may commence training upon payment of the application fee and acknowledgement of receipt of their fingerprints by TSA. You and the provider will both be notified once TSA receives the fingerprints and you have permission to initiate training.

There is apparently a change in procedure but the wording is so vague that I can't really figure out what that means. But the principle still seems to stand.

Sakura-Ichiban
13th Jun 2008, 21:33
Hi, I have received the following notice this morning, I post directly from my mail.
This is the statement you MUST receive. It is no no longer acceptable to have just a receipt for the finger prints. This extra checking will add a few days to your trip.

"All of the required information, including fingerprints, associated with the following Request for Training has been received. Based on information available at this time, the Transportation Security Administration grants Permission to Initiate Training for the following flight training request:

Student: **********
User ID: **********
Provider: **********
Training Request ID#: *************
Training Request Course Name: Initial
Training Request Aircraft Type: cessna 172
Training Request Category: 3
Training Request Date: 06-01-2008 to 07-15-2008

The Flight Training Provider has been granted authority to initiate training. Training must begin within 180 days of this email being sent by TSA. If TSA subsequently receives information indicating that the candidate poses a threat to aviation or national security, TSA will require the Flight Training Provider to cease training in accordance with 49 USC 44939 and 49 CFR Part 1552.

Immigration Status Advisement: AFSP may cancel an applicant's flight training request if AFSP becomes aware the candidate is intending to take flight training without the appropriate immigration status. If you have questions about a cancelled request, you may call AFSP at (571) 227-4544.

NOTE: Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs) of the United States do not require a visa.

If you require help with the AFSP process, please visit the Candidate Frequently Asked Questions page at www.flightschoolcandidates.gov/afsp_faq.htm (http://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov/afsp_faq.htm).

If you need further assistance, please contact [email protected] or call (571) 227-4544.

Sincerely,
AFSP"

Sakura-Ichiban
14th Jun 2008, 00:51
Thanks for the tip for when the course is finished.
Also, I would like to add that the Part 141 course has to be carried out in a specific sequence, the lab training (like a ground school) complete each section fully, then fly. You cannot do flying and then the lab, the dates will be out of sync and the FAA will not allow it.

TheGorrilla
14th Jun 2008, 10:55
Oh my god you want to learn to fly??? In the states?? Clearly you must be a terrorist! :eek:

I'm surprised TSA let you in at all. :rolleyes:

BackPacker
14th Jun 2008, 16:38
This is the statement you MUST receive. It is no no longer acceptable to have just a receipt for the finger prints.

Well, it doesn't look like much has changed. You can only start your training once the TSA confirms receipt of your fingerprints. That's the TSA head office, not some branch office or sherrifs station.

When I was there, this was done with ink and paper, but now that things are done electronically, between being fingerprinted and receiving the e-mail, how much time really did expire? Based on the timing of your posts it was less than 24 hours in any case.

Having your receipt from being fingerprinted (I mean the receipt that comes out of the teller machine to show you've paid) was never enough to start training in any case.

Sakura-Ichiban
14th Jun 2008, 20:27
Hello Backpacker,

Thanks for your posts. I notice your comment on the actual length of time 24 hours not sure where that came from. I arrived in Honolulu 09:00 Monday, received TSA notification Thursday. All in all, not bad bt for anybody out there, unless they can get the finger prints done in advance, they will have to wait a day or two :) (nice weather here anyway)

Thanks

Sakura-Ichiban
16th Jun 2008, 09:16
Explain your statement please an clarify your intentions