PDA

View Full Version : Mode S for VFR in Germany/The Netherlands/Belgium/Sweden - Advice

London Flyer
11th Jun 2008, 15:16
I'm planning a trip from the UK to Cologne, Berlin (Tempelhof) and Malmö (returning via Belgium or The Netherlands) in July and would appreciate confirmation from pilots based in those countries about transponder requirements for VFR flights.

My plane is only equipped with a Mode C transponder. Having read the relevant AIP/AICs for the above countries, my understanding (or lack of!) is as follows:

The Netherlands:
- ENR 1.6-1 (dated 5 June 2008) states at 2.1.1(a)(1) that "VFR flights are allowed with mode A and C only."
- However, AIC-A07/08 (dated 22 May 2008) states that "For VFR flights with ... aeroplanes and active Mode S SSR transponder is already mandatory in the Amsterdam FIR except for class G airspace below 1200 feet AMSL..."
- On the basis of the above, I'm confused as to which statement is correct.

Belgium:
- AIC 05/2008 makes it clear that VFR flights in airspace where carriage of an SSR transponder is currently mandatory will only need a Mode S transponder from 1 January 2011.

Germany:
- Mode S mandatory for the following VFR flights from 31 March 2008:
- all flights in Class C or D airspace (but not CTR) or in a TMZ
- all flights with motor-driven aircraft above 5000 ft MSL
- all flights by night in controlled airspace

On the basis of the above, provided I remain clear of C/D airspace and TMZs before entering the Tempelhof CTR, and remain below 5000 feet AMSL, I will be fine with Mode C in Germany. Correct?

Sweden:
- Mode S currently not relevant to VFR flight.

I should be grateful for any additional/corrective information from local pilots, or UK pilots that have flown to these countries.

Many thanks
Mark

Four Holer Roller
12th Jun 2008, 16:47
If it's any help I had a similar dilemma. I've just flown to Texel and back via Calais, Ostend, AMS FIR and through several military zones. No-one wanted to know about Mode S! Have a good trip!

ft
12th Jun 2008, 18:58
AIP Sweden:

http://www.lfv.se/templates/LFV_InfoSida_70_30____2555.aspx

Specifically

http://www.lfv.se/upload/ANS/AIP/GEN/GEN%201/ES_GEN_1_5_en.pdf

paragraph 3.

Rgds,
/Fred