PDA

View Full Version : Microlights At Night

AIRMISS
5th Jun 2008, 13:11
Has anyone stumbled across any Micro/Ultralights operating at night? Iam doing some work and it all points in this direction.

Rod1
5th Jun 2008, 14:00
Permit aircraft, including all UK Micros, are not alowed to fly at night.

Rod1

Mariner9
5th Jun 2008, 14:02
Stumbling across them would be tough as they dont have running lights fitted (though some have strobes admittedly). Care to elaborate?

wulf190a
5th Jun 2008, 19:28
Many years ago, I flew flexwings with NVG's at night for trials with a certain regiment. Interesting!! (not in UK of course)

Utrinque Apparatus
6th Jun 2008, 09:39
Wulf

Noisy, weren't they ? :ok:

xrayalpha
6th Jun 2008, 13:04
I know (wouldn't be personally, of course) of one that flew at night more than a decade ago.

With one car and one torch and no experience, the question was whether to fly with the torch to see the instruments or have chap stand half way down the runway with torch so one could line up car headlights with torch.

Best way to land was to flare over the car and then hold off in the headlights! Fortunately, nights are often very calm!

XA

The Flying Pram
6th Jun 2008, 18:26
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=973t3UzIwH0&feature=related) YouTube clip shows a Hungarian microlight display team nightflying at the Abu Dhabi airshow last year!

trevs99uk
9th Jun 2008, 19:02
There is some Youtube sites with microlight (Flexwings) operating in and out of commercial airfields in the USA.
I have also been in belguim and seen a few flying around at night.

Under the new EASA rules coming in will mean Night VFR is allowed and all countries will have to abide.

trevor