PDA

View Full Version : Headset Advice

ready2fly1
4th Jun 2008, 13:29
Any advice on a decent headset.

Am about to start my flight training for my ATPL and am looking around at headsets right now.

Currently considering the following
David Clark X11
Bose X
Sennheiser HMEC460

Any experiences or recommendations, good or bad, with respect to these particular headphones would be greatly appreciated.

Also any other alternative suggestions would be great too

R2F
(edited for grammar correction)

XX621
4th Jun 2008, 13:41
Have the X11.
Now this is a real can of worms, prepare for a long debate.

I went for the X-11 because they were incredibly light, and of low profile physically.

But, I doubt they have the best ANR on the market...I understand BoseX is the leader in that regard.

My ears used to ring after flying with my old 13.4s, they don't with the X11. So they do it for me.

But, I think they are overpriced, and the recent price drops at Transair reflect that.

ready2fly1
4th Jun 2008, 14:04
Thanks

I expected a can of worms with this debate as a lot of it is down to personal opinion.

However, it will be nice to weigh up the pros and cons from those who have used these headsets for a while.

R2F

Rod1
4th Jun 2008, 14:28
I got a Bose many years ago and it has been very very good. I have recently been in the market for a new headset as my other ½ would not fly unless I gave her my Bose!. I have tried a wide range of headsets, but not the DC Xll which several friends had panned, including sending them back for a refund before I could get my hands on them. The result of my research is the Bose is still the best and I am going to get another…:\

The Bose is HM’s best selling headset. You cannot get a new pair of ears, so this stat does not surprise me.:ok:

Rod1

BristolScout
4th Jun 2008, 14:28
Ask twelve pilots about headsets and you'll probably get thirteen different answers. The big debate is between 'normal' and noise-cancelling types with the protagonists for each side holding forthright views. The main thing to look for is comfort, so best to go to a Transair shop or similar establishment and try on a selection. We've all got different head shapes so there is no 'one fits all' solution.

For what it's worth, I use the no-frills, standard Dave Clark 13.4 which I find comfortable, robust and compatible with most other makes. One of my students showed me his top of the range Bose recently. It's very good but not worth the extra £400 in my opinion.

ready2fly1
4th Jun 2008, 14:41
Cheers guys for the info so far.

Have tried on all 3 (of the above mentioned headsets) at various shops and comfort wise I'm happy with all of them.

Just wondered how they each performed in flight.

Pilotdom
4th Jun 2008, 14:50
Go for the Bose. I am still a stude at the moment but a 5 hour flight under some DC's and the same flight under a pair of Bose X's showed me the light. Yes they are expensive, but if you buy them with a few to keeping them say 6 years (they should last 10), thats £116.00 a year at todays prices, your hearing and comfort has got to be worth that. It is in my opinion best to buy quality and quality that is proven to last!

Saab Dastard
4th Jun 2008, 17:37
If you know what aircraft you will be flying in most of the time, check to ensure they work in it...

SD

Shunter
4th Jun 2008, 17:46
Bose.

End of discussion.

soay
4th Jun 2008, 17:53
For ANR headsets, the new Lightspeed Zulu has had very good reviews, and has more features than the Bose-X, but have a look also at the Clarity Aloft. Much nicer than having a sweaty band over your head and around your ears!

172driver
4th Jun 2008, 18:11
BOSE. What price your hearing ?

PS: The only other I would consider, but never got a chance to try, are the Clarity Aloft.

ready2fly1
5th Jun 2008, 08:52
Will be flying C152/172 and Mooneys

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Will look at the other suggestions too now.

SNS3Guppy
5th Jun 2008, 09:11
When you say you're working on your ATP certificate, does that mean you're preparing for your practical test in the mooney and Cessna, or that you plan on going to work in mooney's and Cessna's once you've obtained your ATP?

In a professional cockpit, you can get by in most cases with a fairly light weight, simple headset. Today on our flight deck, we had one wearing a plantronics starset, and two of us wearing simple telex airman type headsets. Very light weight, no noise cancelling required.

In a light airplane, nearly any headset will work. The Bose X is very comfortable, as are the lightspeed headsets. Any basic david clarke type headset with an upgrade using the oregon aero earseals, hush kit, and headband is reasonably comfortable, with the ANR not really needed. It's nice enough, but if you're on a budget, it's not necessary.

You needn't pay full price for a Bose, or any other headset, either. I got quite a bit of use out of a Bose X purchased on Ebay.

What headset is appropriate for you really depends on what you'll be flying. You should also ensure that your headset will not only be compatible with the avionics in use (primarily a microphone issue), but with any intercom that may also be used. Even in a simple intercom system in a light airplane, mixing headsets can create impedence problems that prevent communication. A good example might be your own portable intercom being used for flight instruction; having different headsets between you and your student could create a problem. Getting into an airplane that doesn't permit you to use your headset will make the headset relatively worthless to you...determine exactly where it will be used, try to borrow one and try it out (for several hours; be sure it works, and it's comfortable), then decide.

Africrash
5th Jun 2008, 16:05
Hi,
Ihave the DC X11, now have a bit over 1000 hours with it in Emeraude, C206, C210 and Caravan. I love it, light, comfortable and good noise cancelling.

Another pilot here tried it last week and is now selling his Bose X to get a DC X11, tells the story!

Crash