PDA

View Full Version : Balloon over south London

Footless Halls
4th Jun 2008, 11:35
Looking south over the river from my office at Blackfriars, there seems to be a balloon over south London. Without binoculars I can't be certain, but it looks to be free (not tethered) and manned. Anyone know any more about that? Presumably it's not supposed to be here?

airborne_artist
4th Jun 2008, 11:51
It's a hot air balloon. The hot air comes from here (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=SW1A+0AA&ie=UTF8&ll=51.500101,-0.124648&spn=0.006665,0.014591&z=16)

xraf
4th Jun 2008, 12:20
Have you not been on Google today?

They have a hot air balloon logo on the home page - We thought it must be some kind of anniversary but once you click the link it tells you that the first balloon flights were in September 1783.

Perhaps your balloon is something to do with this?

Regards
Xraf:ok:

GyroSteve
4th Jun 2008, 12:57
Why shouldn't it be there? Balloons operate on CofA's (many are also on AOCs), typically are multi "engine" (burner) so there's no reason why they can't fly over a built up area as long as the flight can be planned to land clear of the built up area (ie sufficient forecast wind in an appropriate direction). No reason why you can't carry a transponder too to keep ATC happy.

Take it from me, being able to steer isn't all it's cracked up to be ....

IIRC there is a ride company which offers flights from central London.

jtipper1
4th Jun 2008, 13:01
http://www.adventureballoons.co.uk/products-london.html

It seems they are allowed.:ok:

pistongone
4th Jun 2008, 13:17
Airborne Artist i love it:} I think some people may have missed the subtletly in your humour:confused:

Footless Halls
4th Jun 2008, 13:24
I think I'll give them a call.... I'd swap being there for being in front of this keyboard.

airborne_artist
4th Jun 2008, 13:44
Pistongone - sometimes jokes are more fun if not everyone gets them :ok:

What would happen if a balloon was on a conveyor belt? :E

BounceBounceLand
4th Jun 2008, 15:56
I do have to giggle at the thought of the ATC conversation though, if the balloon had radio as well as transponder.

Controller: Turn Left heading 230

Tumbleweed

Balloon: Balloon says nooooo

Guess thats why the hot air bags get right of way!

BackPacker
4th Jun 2008, 16:25
Balloon says nooooo

Reminded me of this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzEyk4aIl6Q

Dysonsphere
4th Jun 2008, 20:01
Still a classic

DBisDogOne
5th Jun 2008, 11:26
PistonGone: Give you a clue, Where do the biggest waste of space, self-serving, publicly-funded windbags go to work in the borough of Westminster? (& I use the word 'Work' in it's loosest possible sense:rolleyes:).

;)

pelagic
11th Jun 2008, 18:54
G-LRGE. watched it from my workplace.

MartinCh
11th Jun 2008, 21:01
that youtube vid's good laugh.

Let's hope I won't be contacted by battleship when flying flimsy Robbie over Oregon coast :-P

I thought of doing hot air ballooning ages ago when I was thinking of a present activity for my mum. Her being her body shape and herself generally, I couldn't expect her to get strapped to paraglider tandem harness with instructor and fly over the ridge with me in my kit... So I thought of ballooning. Didn't get to make it happen, but I'm saving some flying about in C172 or P28 sized SEP in few years' time. She's seasoned business traveller, but one can't compare flying in small aircraft (or small 'cockbasket') with being in the cattle class of regional airliner.

What about that Zeppelin/airship I've seen over London couple years ago? If they can fly about far enough from airports, why not balloon?
Presume they check prevailing wind first :-D