PDA

View Full Version : Airfields in Suffolk - Latitude festival

Ian_Wannabe
2nd Jun 2008, 11:45
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I've got tickets for a music festival called Latitude which is based in Henham park, Southwold. Apparently this is just north of Blythburgh in Suffolk.

I want to hire a Warrior from my local club and fly myself and my girlfriend there as a kind of 'graduation present' - but I was wondering, what is the closest airfield??

(a £50 taxi fee on top of paying for flying will mean less food for us both when we're there!)

Many thanks

Oh i would look at my map, but I only have one for Wales and central england.

Cheers

Legalapproach
2nd Jun 2008, 11:51
Nearest licensed airfield is Beccles. Henham operates a strip itself but this is usually available for the May wings and wheels event and I expect that it will be under tents/stages/my son and his drunken mates.:yuk:

FREDAcheck
2nd Jun 2008, 16:44
Beccles is less than 10 miles away, and they're pretty friendly there. I reckon the cost of a taxi to and from will be pretty small compared to the cost of the Warrier hire.

Gertrude the Wombat
2nd Jun 2008, 18:38
under ... my son and his drunken mates

And mine :*

formationfoto
2nd Jun 2008, 19:28
Beccles is the only sensible option.

Legalapproach
2nd Jun 2008, 19:36
Gertrude

My daughter went last year and when I was asked the "Dad credit card, can you book me......." question I got on to the website. When I started "Hey, the comedy line up looks really good and the RSC are there and.... why don't we get a family camping ticket?" I got the "camping??" look from Mrs Approach and the withering "whaaaat" teenager look from the junior approaches.:sad:

http://www.latitudefestival.co.uk/home/

Ian_Wannabe
2nd Jun 2008, 21:13
brilliant cheers.

I'll probably be one of those drunk people covering the strip :O - I'm not flying back by the way!!

yeah if you can convince your wife and daughter I'd take em! Comedy tent looks brilliant this year

Gertrude the Wombat
2nd Jun 2008, 21:44
"Dad credit card, can you book me......."
No chance, he paid for himself.

(He doesn't spend all the money from getting up at 0700 to work on the market before school on alcohol. Mind you, we did pay for his new pet snake this weekend, having rashly promised he could have one if he passed his trumpet exam.)

Legalapproach
2nd Jun 2008, 22:00
He doesn't spend all the money from getting up at 0700 to work

What is this "work" of which you speak? You have it lucky. The junior approaches believe that work is reserved solely for those over 21 (or fathers over 45). In my day there was car washing, paper rounds, mucking out stables... but then we used to live in't cardboard box in't middle of street, get up for breakfast half an hour before we went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison for breakfast, every day, and you tell young people that and they don't believe you.

jaycee58
2nd Jun 2008, 22:10
Ian,

I'm a student pilot based at Beccles and I can assure you that you'll get a warm and helpful welcome there. A taxi to the festival site will take about 20 minutes and I wouldn't expect it to cost much more than £20 and it will probably be less. Phone numbers of local taxi firms are available at the airfield.

I went to Latitude last year and it was brilliant. It was a really relaxed festival in a lovely setting and the music was superb (Arcade Fire and Jarvis Cocker!). This year I have to miss it as I have to work sometimes so I'll be in India when it takes place :*. Just my luck as Franz Ferdinand and Elbow are both appearing!

Just one word of warning...there were a lot of thefts from tents last year.

Ian_Wannabe
3rd Jun 2008, 02:28
Thanks for the replies guys. Well, turns out that the guy who I wanted to fly the aircraft home can't do it as its his birthday the day before. :uhoh:

Ahh well, a trip for another time perhaps.

Jaycee, mars volta, elbow annnnd Sigur Ros - I'm hearing the word "sick day" from somewhere!!

Gertrude the Wombat
3rd Jun 2008, 11:45
What is this "work" of which you speak?
Unloading a van and setting up a market stall.

You have it lucky.
Yes, we were a bit surprised too. But the desire for money appears to overcome the natural teenage boy laziness.