PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter on private farm

spinnaker
28th May 2008, 19:24
I'm considering the idea of setting aside an area for helicopters to land on my farm. Does anyone have any advice or pointers to some practical resources. I haven't flow for some time, and never flew rotary when I did. I want the facility for customers to fly in, and maybe the odd ppl visitor.

Cheers

Bravo73
28th May 2008, 19:45
Sounds like an excellent idea! :D

BHAB (British Helicopter Advisory Board) produce a guide about the requirements for a helipad. Click here (http://www.bhab.flyer.co.uk/sitenew.doc).

Otherwise, try asking over on Rotorheads!

will5023
28th May 2008, 19:58
Hi, you will only be able to operate on the 28 day rule, for change of use of the land from agricultural to landing area. However if you keep the movements quiet and don't annoy the neighbours too much having your own landing pad/airstrip is most pilots dream.

Will.

tegwin
28th May 2008, 22:24
Im sure you would have many willing visitors, especially if you can supply a proper brew:8

Where abouts are you in the country?

spinnaker
29th May 2008, 00:16
Thanks for those tips.

Location is north Scotland, 30 odd miles south of John O'Groats. I have a few customers who may want to fly in. If I can get it going, any spare capacity can be used up by ppl visitors. Yes, we do first rate tea/coffee, up here we have too.:)

If the ground was level enough, I would put a 1km strip in for fixed wing, but its just not viable.

niknak
29th May 2008, 17:15
If the location is John O Groats, 800m of level ground clear of rocks, bumps, Nessies and wee timerous beasties would be viable.
I know that you'd have o do a lot of work, but once done it'll be OK for a long time.
If you can offer B & B or similar, or nearby neighbours can, it could prove to be a popular destination.
I can't offer anything other than moral support, but perhaps a working party could be gathered in return for a bed, ale and grub.:ok: