PDA

View Full Version : The flying side of license conversion...

MarkMcC
24th May 2008, 14:55
Looking for help or advice on the following:

I am looking to convert my FAA/Cdn ATPL to a JAA license - I have completed my exams and done my medical in Ireland, and now must tackle the flying side of conversion. Having spoken with the IAA I find that I have 3 options:

1. Complete a CPL/IR conversion - The standard 15-20 hours plus fees which adds up to about E$8000 and will take 3-4 weeks; or

2. Complete an ATPL skills test on an aircraft on which I am rated (as a military pilot, no chance here!); or

3. Complete an approved type rating course and have the TRTO complete an ATPL skills check / IR upon completion which will then count towards my license conversion (this is verified with the IAA as I have > 3000 hours).

While option 1 is the cheapest, it also takes the most time. Also, I can't help but think that if I'm going to spend E$8000 that I can pick up a 'useful' type rating in the process for an extra few thousand.

So...I resolved to research 737/A320 type rating courses and am coming up quite short of info. Has anyone here been through a self sponsored type rating program? Where would you recommend? Did you also complete base training?

Thx/Merci