PDA

View Full Version : Albert Whitted Airfield St Petersburgh

Scottishflyer182
17th May 2008, 21:51
Hi ,

Has anyone done training here? if so can I have some feed back.

Thanks

maggioneato
18th May 2008, 13:44
It's a super airfield to fly from. We were on holiday when we noticed the airfield from St Pete's pier, so we went over to see if I could fly from there. I was still a Student learning in the UK, but managed to grab quite a few hours, visited various airfields in the area. I wasn't interested in building hours just having a bit of fun.
This was prior to 9/11, so a good few years ago. I went back the following year having got my licence, and was able to fly with a German instructor who was also on holiday, without having a checkride first. The place was friendly and accomodating both years.
I have some pictures of the approaches somewhere, if you are interested PM.

ChampChump
18th May 2008, 20:19
I've not visited in the last ?four? years, but it's definitely more fun than many of its size. The approach from the SE, IIRC, was at not above 1000' over the bay.

I used to visit there with a friend who was trying to keep the banner-towing Cubs airworthy and legal, when so many of the mechanics around were totally unused to working on old, small, hard-working, much abused aircraft - not what they learned in mechanic school. There was much sucking of teeth, but somehow she managed to get the messages through.

Sorry about thread drift.

Yes, go for it. Lots to see!

belowradar
19th May 2008, 09:53
Lovely airfield and close to the Pier and town

Great area for flying and can be challenging at night due to water (black hole effect) with lack of depth perception.

Definitely a good experience:ok:

Parsnip
19th May 2008, 15:17
Oh this brings back memories.I flew there once in 1995 whilst on holiday at clearwater.I remember it was a really hot morning and I had one pax behind (the wife) and an american FI in the right hand seat in a PA 28. The guy in the rt hand seemed to think it helped the ventilation if he held the door open in the take off roll.When I asked him what the hell he thought he was doing he grudgingly closed the door and then I noticed that he hadn't fastened his harness, this is whilst approaching the wet end of the strip at 65knots. We flew for about an hour and a half the scenery was great up the gulf of mexico. On right base he stopped my hand going for the flaps and made me wait until 1/2 mile final ,put down all the washing, chop power and drop onto the concrete. At the conclusion he shook my hand and said "great safety, I like to see that" and wandered off. Not the way we were trained in Blighty, but an interesting experience none the less.

the dean
19th May 2008, 15:41
hi scotish,

as others have said..great little field. over many many years going there to st petes and treasure island on vacation i flew with..think it was bay air ? at albert whitted and did a lot of my twin rating there and touch and goes in clearwater international.

it was particularly nice to able to back from a hot airplane and jump into the surf...and like parsnip says, we used to taxi but only taxi with the door open ( nice breeze...but then it was august )

its been six years since i was there ( though hope to go back next year ) but the last time i got the impression ( right or wrong ) that there did not seem to be a flying school there any longer, but i was at the opposite side of the field near the pier and so i could be wrong.

i'm sure our american friends can tell you if you can still get hold of a plane there.

great approaches..loved that cross runway..:eek:

ah yes...i remember it well...:D

DeeCee
19th May 2008, 16:02
Great place and enjoyable flying. I flew there a couple of times in May 01, a 172 N9400L (might help you find the FBO). Have fun.

Scottishflyer182
20th May 2008, 14:12
hi all,

Thanks for your replies. Bay Air are still operating and have at least 4 C172's and 1 C182 along with a few other training aircraft.

I like above was on the Peir and noticed the airfield ( I actually thougth it was St Petersburgh:ugh:) on visiting the club house at Bay Air I got a reasonable reception and booked a trial flight on the 182 for the following monday. The FI was a guy called Brandon Lawrence very helpfull friendly and managed to answer all my questions about training for my IR and CPL (FAA) in Jan.

Our flight was amazing what fantastic scenery the best I've ever seen, the west cost of Florida is one of the most beautiful places I've visited and from the air it's even better.

I'm going back over in January, really looking forward to it.

Cheers

Scottishflyer182