PDA

View Full Version : Lee on Solent saved for GA

Mike Cross
14th May 2008, 12:48
Some of you may be aware that Lee Flying Association with advice and support from AOPA UK have been fighting to stop the airfield operator (Hampshire Constabulary) from closing it to private aircraft.

Today was the deadline for closure and Hampshire Police have issued a Press Release allowing existing users to continue to operate. More details here. (http://www.eghf.co.uk) We're still some way away from a situation where you'll find it easy to fly in or out but this is a major step in the right direction.

Mike

jez d
14th May 2008, 13:04
Good news Mike. Just who is left there now though? Solent Flight went well over a year ago and I gather Carill Aviation has also closed its doors.

Is it just private pilots flying out of there now, or is there still some sort of club/school operating?

Cheers

Jez

Mike Cross
14th May 2008, 15:23
If you're interested in self-fly hire or in hangarage please drop me a pm with your contact details and I'll put you in touch with the right people.

As an unlicensed a/d Lee can't be used for ab-initio training, Carril used to have to reposition to Bembridge or Sandown to start the lesson. Carril were driven to close their doors because of the restrictions that were imposed on flying on Wednesdays and at weekends when the gliding club operates. Once the a/g radio is in place it should be possible to restart mixed ops (gliding and power) as the means will then exist to de-conflict power from winch launches.

IO540
14th May 2008, 15:29
Brilliant news.

I am not familiar with this exact area. What is the realistic driving time from the airfield to the nearest A27 junction?

DBisDogOne
14th May 2008, 15:47
IO, it's about 15-20 minutes from J11/M27. Not very far in distance but takes a while to get there. A27 access is a little nearer.

Well done to Mike & LFA for all their efforts, saw you getting I/V'd last night by my lot!

BroomstickPilot
14th May 2008, 17:58
Congratulations to you and to all at Lee, Mike.

I sincerely hope you finally win through and return Lee to being a proper GA airfield.

Broomstick.

Mike Cross
14th May 2008, 20:02
saw you getting I/V'd last night by my lot!

And very nice people they are too. Kerry Swain and Mark the cameraman. Steve Cockshott from LFA took Kerry for a short bimble in an AA5 and she returned with a great big grin plastered over her chops! They were there for a good two and a half hours, during which time they saw one arrival of a coastguard S61N and one departure of the police Islander - busy day.

DBisDogOne
14th May 2008, 21:23
Mike: Mark the cameraman is a good mate of mine, he was very impressed with the place as an airfield and particularly taken with the Catalina. From his non-pilot/general public (with no axe to grind either way) point of view, he thinks the situation at Lee is utterly insane, he couldn't believe the fencing and gates business and how so many businesses have so casually been wrecked/are in the process of being wrecked.
Amusingly, when I explained the situation to him, his reaction was that of any rational, intelligent individual, "So light aircraft sharing the place with SAR & the police...... erm, And the problem is?" - Exactly.

Keep up the good work.:ok:

MikeJ
15th May 2008, 20:32
I'll fly in to Lee just as soon as I can get permission and an up to date airfield chart. Any idea when, and a phone no/ radio freq for the proposed a/g?

Mike.

Mike Cross
15th May 2008, 21:13
I'll fly in to Lee just as soon as I can get permission and an up to date airfield chart. Any idea when, and a phone no/ radio freq for the proposed a/g?

Give us bleedin' chance!

Have a look at www.eghf.co.uk
If you follow the Airfield and Operations links you'll see some details. There's no such thing as a decent aerodrome chart but there are some aerial photos. Aerodrome Manual is there but is in need of a rewrite. If you have a legitimate business reason you may well get to fly in but if you just want to get a new entry in your log book you need to wait a while. There are no facilities, not even somewhere to get a cup of tea except when the Gliding Club is operating and until the a/g is in place there won't be any mixed (gliding & f/w) ops.

Major Major
15th May 2008, 22:19
Well done all...a triumph for democracy?

I'll drop in too when I have a legitimate business reason...um...thinking...

steve.cross
18th May 2008, 22:22
Hi Mike

My name is Steve Cross and I currently live in Lee on Solent. I gained my PPL through Solent Flight at Southampton and moved to Lee when they moved out of Southampton. I last flew just before they had to move out of Daedlus and my PPL has now expired. I would love to start flying again but Shoreham and Bournemouth are too far for me to travel on a regular basis Do you think there is a chance that there may be a Flying School at Lee again in the near future?

Chequeredflag
19th May 2008, 08:16
Great news indeed

Mike Cross
19th May 2008, 09:12
Hi Steve

Solent Flight now operate from Lower Upham using Ikarus C42's I believe.

Carrill closed its doors as result of the severe downturn in trade caused by mixed ops (power and gliding at the same time) being banned in mid 2007. As gliding operates Wednesdays and at Weekends as well as during the week-long classes run by PNGC in the summer it made Carrill's operation unprofitable. The ban on mixed ops will continue until the a/g frequency has been obtained from the CAA and the equipment installed and approved. To the best of my knowledge Carrill ceased operations, it did not cease to exist.

The new regime will take some time to settle in and we also still need some form of agreement between DfT who own the runway and SEEDA who own the land on which the aircraft are based for ongoing acccess by tenants of the SEEDA land. SEEDA and the local community want aviation to continue at Daedalus but they will have problems attracting investment from the industry unless the prospective tenants can see they have some security of access.

I've dropped you a PM with contact details for Steve Cockshott, who you probably know as one of the Carrill instructors. He'll be better placed to give you more info regarding intruction. In case anyone is wondering there are no plans in hand to license the field.