PDA

View Full Version : SID Question...

Got the horn
13th May 2008, 21:59
Does anyone know why a SID begins at 16 feet above the threshold? Is it some sort of historical thing? Did a google search and came up with nothing.

Cheers

Pugilistic Animus
13th May 2008, 22:13
where is that figure listed? and for what region?---you may have to look at the flight standards for you country

in the US TERPS the standard SID begins 35' above SFC at the DER from whence the Obstacle Identification Surface [OIS] intersects ---then the requirement is to maintain an all engine climb gradient of at least 48'/nm above the OIS and at least a total gradient of 200'/nm above the SFC and 152' above the OIS---
in the US higher then STD climb gradients or visual avoidance would be specified--if necessary for obstacle avoidable--- at least that's what I think:)

PA

Deep and fast
13th May 2008, 22:29
Wet screen height is 15 feet so I guess the departure would follow. Our sop though is with an engine failure a company specified proceedure below acceleration Alt so maybe I talking balllocks :)

reynoldsno1
14th May 2008, 03:00
QUOTE]where is that figure listed[/QUOTE]
ICAO PANS-OPS (Doc 8168)
and for what region
any that want to adopt the above guidelines

I think d&f has given the reason for the adoption of that figure....

Pugilistic Animus
20th May 2008, 00:38
Thanks Reynoldsno1: I am familiar with PAN-OPS:8
only asking because not everyone to my knowledge has adapted that standard--

I made a major error above TERPS---the procedure begins at 35' agl AT THE DER---I put the edits above

john_tullamarine
22nd May 2008, 05:19
ssg/trickle451 is having a well-earned rest offline for a while.

discountinvestigator
22nd May 2008, 11:56
Not sure that it is the "threshold" of the other end of the runway that you are departing from. The threshold could be displaced.

reynoldsno1
22nd May 2008, 21:17
Th term is DER - Departure End of Runway - rather than the upwind threshold.