PDA

View Full Version : Farm Strip - Woodcote (surrey)?

Cricket23
11th May 2008, 20:23
'Twas in my garden this evening when a microlight flew over at about 150ft. I reckon he was about to land, but the only thing around here is Woodcote golf course and some other bits and pieces (horses paddocks, small holdings etc), but nothing that I can think of that might be a farm strip.

Does anyone know of anything - might be interested to use it myself if poss.

For those of you who know the area, I live on the Purley side of Coulsdon and he was heading for Woodcote Golf course - next to the 'clock house' estate.

Regards,

C23

JBGA
12th May 2008, 12:22
I used to live locally and was never aware of an airstrip. I would have thought the area was too congested with housing. However, I've had a quick look on google maps and this place next to the golf course looks promising:

Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=51.335552,-0.150687&spn=0.004779,0.013518&t=h&z=17)

Shows up a bit better on the Live Search:

Bird's eye view (http://maps.live.com/?v=2&sp=Point.sjpdxtgzmp0p_Airstrip%3F____&encType=1)

trevs99uk
12th May 2008, 15:38
There is an airstrip there.
Just east of the Golf Course is a line of tree going North south.
The airstrip is down the the middle of the tree line.
Access is via a gated entrance of Lt Woodcote Lane.

Cricket23
12th May 2008, 16:13
Great, thanks chaps.

Any ideas of how I might get in touch with the owners?

regards,

C23

Edited to say, having just looked at the links above it appears that the gated entrance is next to a house. I'll go and knock on the door.

trevs99uk
13th May 2008, 13:03
I did go here some years ago.
I think its a white gated entrance marked something like.
Please close the gate.
The owner lives in the cottage at the end of the strip.

trevor

Cricket23
13th May 2008, 19:31
Thanks trevs99uk. Do you, or indeed anyone else, have the contact details of the owner please. Is he/she an approachable type?

C23

Nipper2
13th May 2008, 21:47
Interesting... just a short distance from my mum's house and I never knew it was there. And outside the London CTR

At 450m with some big obstructions at either end you would need to be pretty STOL.

I would be interested if anyone has details.