PDA

View Full Version : GA visit to Durham Tees Valley

echobeach
11th May 2008, 06:59
Fresh from a successful trip to Tempelhof in the trusty arrow I decided to make the most of the good weather and use the same craft for a trip the North East of UK. This was the first time I thought that I could take myself to a meeting and enjoy the trip both ways by flying. No hard deadlines so though this would be a good idea.

Looking at airfields it seemed that Durham Tees Valley was closest and planned the hop from airfield I fly from just near M25. Notams the day before showed that handling at Durham was compulsory and so having read all the PPrune threads about expense at UK airfields it was with some anxiety about costs that I planned to land here. Also, although visited many European fields in Class D I had not yet done this in UK.

I must say that I was given the most seamless, helpful RIS from Waddington to Durham being handed on from one controller to the next. Durham were most welcoming and cleared me straight in to a right base join (with a little orbiting for big traffic to clear)

On the ground I parked the arrow past a rather gleaming line of Falcon jets. Handling arrived in the form of an air-conditioned MPV. They arranged the refueling and the taxi. They showed me out of the airfield and booked the transport back the next day.
The following day they met me at the security gate and arranged to pay the taxi on account. They helped me take me luggage through the security check and drove me to the plane. En route they called the ATC for me to book out and handed me their phone once they got through. As I left the car they gave me all the print outs of the weather with up to date 215, 214 and the Tafs etc in a folder. (I had all this already from lap top but a really nice addition to have the hard copies)

And what I hear you ask was the enormous charge for this humble VFR GA pilot at such a scene of efficiency and welcoming enthusiasm?

£ (http://www.expedia.co.uk/daily/holidays/offers/far-and-away.aspx?region=London&rfrr=-26268&mcicid=home_faraway_price)5 is the answer.

Well I was most impressed! Worth a visit.

Rugbyears
12th May 2008, 01:55
Well done for taking the time to share your experience with us, it is always good to hear of such excellent services in the world of GA!!!:ok:

r44flyer
12th May 2008, 14:44
Wow. That's almost impossible to believe. £5!? Don't Durham charge silly landing fees on top, though?

Zulu Mike
12th May 2008, 15:02
I couldn't agree more about the excellent value of the mandatory handling, I too was charged £5 for the same efficient service.
The total for the landing and ground handling was £29 so I suppose £24 landing fee is a bit on the high side but in my case it did include vectoring for a practice ILS approach which became much less of a practice and more of a survival exercise as on the localiser having gone from 'field in sight' into IMC then at 1500' I flew into a thunderstorm. Still makes life interesting.

airborne_artist
12th May 2008, 15:32
Another thread quotes landing fee is £8.00/500kg or part thereof.

echobeach
12th May 2008, 21:05
Landing fee was 24 pounds but I thought that wasnt too bad for the service and the fact that I left the craft parked there for 24 hrs before returning home. Will certainly drop in again.

XL319
12th May 2008, 23:16
DTV are very GA friendly!!!! If your aircraft is below 758kg then handling is free. I think they want business hence the small handling! landing fee's for a C152 is 11.49 which is average, even cheaper for a regional airport.

papa oscar
13th May 2008, 00:28
DTV are very GA friendly!!!! If your aircraft is below 758kg then handling is free. I think they want business hence the small handling! landing fee's for a C152 is 11.49 which is average, even cheaper for a regional airport.

It's mandatory handling for all visiting aircraft regardless of weight.

It's good to see a positive side to DTVA. :ok: for Midwest who provide one of the best GA handling facilities at a very low cost.

Being based there, I can only agree that ATC are very GA friendly and provide a service second to none.

horsebox
21st May 2008, 11:16
Popped into DTV a few days ago. After the introduction of mandatory handling, I was expecting the usual massive hike in prices and charges. Not the case. The landing fees have risen slightly, and it costs you a fiver for handling.

Midwest couldn't have been more helpful, and having experienced the old days of walking across to the terminal to pay a landing fee, negiotiate security and track down the refueler, having someone on hand who can sort everything out was alot easier.

Very helpful, and good to see an outfit who understands the needs of a GA pilot.:D