PDA

View Full Version : A Question for Helicopter Pilots

snapper41
30th Apr 2008, 15:44
A Jetranger landed in a paddock (much smaller than a field) close to my home at the weekend; I think the pilot was probably visiting friends in one of the houses. The paddock is surrounded by houses on all sides, and close to a main trunk road. My question (not being a helicopter pilot) is; can you legally do this - just pick a field, land, visit your mates, then go home? As a fixed-wing pilot, picking a field usually means the engine has gone quiet!

airborne_artist
30th Apr 2008, 15:58
With the permission of the landowner and assuming this is a rural site, basically, yes, though "surrounded by houses on all sides" rings some alarms bells, as you will see if you read this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=324497) on Rotorheads.

Whirlybird
30th Apr 2008, 21:59
As airborne artist says, it's fine so long as you have landowner's permission....unless the landing site is within a congested area. Does the area you describe qualify as one of these? Your guess is as good as mine.

Whirlygig
30th Apr 2008, 22:08
Whirlybird, the OP describes his location as "Norfolk" so I'd guess it's not a congested area!!! :} Probably far from it!!!

Cheers

Whirls

Flying Lawyer
30th Apr 2008, 23:07
Whirlybird
it's fine so long as you have landowner's permission That's a proposition I've often read on the forums.
Where, in any legislation, can I find such a requirement? :confused:

snapper41
As a fixed-wing pilot, picking a field usually means the engine has gone quiet! That's one of the things which distinguishes fixed-wing flying from the joys of helicopter flying. ;)

Legalapproach
1st May 2008, 05:58
it's fine so long as you have landowner's permission

It may be a misinterpretation of rule 40 which applies to aerodromes but I agree with FL - can find no reference to it in the ANO or the Rules of the Air.

Whirlybird
1st May 2008, 07:10
Where, in any legislation, can I find such a requirement?

Interesting point... I'd heard it so often, right from when I started to learn to fly helicopters, that I just assumed it was true.

So does that mean helicopters can legally land anywhere, apart from the requirements of Rule 5? What about trespassing? I don't think I can legally drive my car on to anyone's field and park it there, can I? Why are helicopters any different?

Whirls,
Even Norfolk has towns and large villages! The surrounded by houses bit....well, how surrounded does an area have to be to be classified as a congested area? I've yet to find a definition that tells you that.

wobble2plank
1st May 2008, 07:19
I seem to remember from my dim and distant past that you don't need any permission to use a 'rural site' (field) to land in as long as the local authorities have been contacted with regard to complaints (police) and accidents during landing/ take off (fire service).

Courtesy dictates you inform the owner, you are however liable for any damages incured during the operation.

But, again, I couldn't give you any laid down references, 'tis, it seems, folklore :confused:

W2P

Flying Lawyer
1st May 2008, 07:55
In England & Wales, a mere trespass is not a criminal offence. (I don't know if the law is different in Scotland.)

The "Trespassers Will Be Prosecuted" signs with which anyone who lives or has lived in the countryside will be familiar are meaningless - but probably effective because most people don't know they are meaningless.

Some here will be old enough to remember the incident in 1982 when an intruder got into Buckingham Palace during the night and sat on the Queen's bed chatting to her. He wasn't prosecuted - he hadn't committed any offence.

The law started changing in 1994 to deal with certain specific problems but, even it's current form, simply going onto someone else's property is not a criminal offence.

Trespass is a tort, and the victim of a trespass is entitled to sue for damages to compensate him for any loss/damage he has suffered and, where appropriate, an injunction will be granted to prevent trespass continuing.

wobble as long as the local authorities have been contacted with regard to complaints (police) and accidents during landing/ take off (fire service). That's another proposition often posted but I'm not aware of any such legal requirement.

It's obviously good practice to obtain PP before landing off airfield on private property, but I've never notified local authorities/police/fire service nor, except in these forums, have I ever heard anyone suggest it's necessary or even desirable.
Note: I'm referring to flights which don't require a CAA exemption re Rule 5.

FL

wobble2plank
1st May 2008, 08:03
FL,

Probably I didn't word it correctly, it is 'prudent' to contact the local authorities. After years of wasting my time on a SAR flight chasing around after 'a helicopter crashed' call which turned out to be someone landing in a field it can save alot of time and effort. The fire service always appreciate a call if a LS is to be used, especially as they will need to respond in the event of an accident and an aircraft type and POB is very useful info for training and planning.

I have landed in many a field, especially during SAR and Medevac operations and never encountered anything but good will and help from the local people. Mainly in the form of a damn good cup of coffee! Many people view this as a curiosity and are quite keen to chat.

Enjoy

Flying Lawyer
2nd May 2008, 18:00
wobble

Point taken.
Although I've never notified local authorities/emergency services, I always give the last en route ATC or equivalent the precise location of the LS, call descending and then, provided I still have radio contact at the LS, confirm landed. (And an estimate for lifting.)

FL

Jucky
2nd May 2008, 18:44
The land owners permission requirement might have orignated from ex-military helo pilots. Military helicopters are required to have the land owners permission and inform local authorities before landing at a private site.

Ken Wells
2nd May 2008, 19:14
The land owners permission requirement might have orignated from ex-military helo pilots. Military helicopters are required to have the land owners permission and inform local authorities before landing at a private site.

Unless of course the Local Authority is in Iraq or Afganistan! As my mate just pointed out , based at RAF Benson.