PDA

View Full Version : Avmap EKP-IV Linux Project....

NW_Pilot
26th Apr 2008, 17:58
I Have Been chatting with a few old time geek friends online it looks like we are going to start an embedded Linux project for this hardware while keeping it capable of running current nav data/maps my unit just booted an 8 gig CF card (Avmap SW) a friend is going to try a 32 gig card in the next week or so on his. Looks like this hardware will make a great open source platform.

Unit Booted SanDisk Connect Plus With Wifi 2 bad they are not larger in capacity... Would be Great Wifi Addition.
Unit Booted 8 gig CF Card Type 1
Unit Booted 2 Gig SD With CF Type 1 Adapter
Unit Booted 1 Gig micro SD With CF Type 1 Adapter

Unit Did Not Boot With CFII Micro Drive..... I think it's a Power Issue...
Unit Did not Boot With 2 Gig SD With CF Type 2 Adapter

I Will test Other Forms and sizes of flash memory when I can get my hands on them. If any one Know of any sources of low power Wifi CF cards with 4gb or larger capacity please let me know.

Also looking for Avmap Pro Data Card Files PM Me If You Would Like To Share.

Will Be a SWX Flash Based Boot File!!! From what I am Seeing We Need More Info On Operating Instructions Of Avmap OS.

EchoMike
27th Apr 2008, 01:43
Please keep me updated on this - I have an EKP-IV - neat device, I like it!

Best Regards,

Echo Mike

IO540
27th Apr 2008, 08:57
Interesting - is the Avmap 4 an arm-based pocket/pc or a 80x86 windoze platform?

If you can get the Italian mfg to tell you the time of day you are onto a winner, so don't expect much support there ;)

Currently, this is IMHO the best GPS on the market.

NW_Pilot
27th Apr 2008, 22:28
We are going to make it better,

It's a Samsung Arm9 @ 226+ MHz there are many devices running Linux on this platform.

Update: Friend who has had one for a few years cracked his Open Today Numbers On the CPU Chip Are S3C2410 Translates To ARM920T RISC CPU kernel with max. 266 MHz core clock... Waiting on a newer unit to be opened to see whats inside.

Info On CPU
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/productInfo.do?fmly_id=229&partnum=S3C2410

Playing with cards it only supports 3.3 V flash will not support any 5V flash cards... or adapters...

Waiting on a newer unit with a cracked display to arrive for Disassembly and parts search and Possible Jtag connection Location unless can be Loaded/Downloaded Via USB.

NW_Pilot
29th Apr 2008, 06:11
OK,

Found out that the key File in Avmaps software is the CMAP2.CER it is some how tied to The Compact Flash ID on the CF card marrying the data base to the CF to the data base... This issue will be solved....

If anyone know how to clone the CF ID let me know.

From an Indepth Search on the net of key associated files this is a windows based OS with a small web server running flash to render the grafics very stable system. There is a Jtag port on that older unit sending out my Spare Jtag to have my friend read his older SiRF Star III unit The the newer U-BLOX units That I have On the way I guess have a Different Arm9 Unit in them rumor is it's 400MhZ unit.

NW_Pilot
29th Apr 2008, 08:22
Wife did not tell me UPS left a Package On the Door...

Upon Disassembly I notice Very Good Construction, The Wave and Re-flow and Photo Etching of the Board Is Top Notch Way to Go to the Board Houses if they are In House at Avmap can see this company around a long time.

I do have the tools to remove the BGA package but not going to risk this unit as it is a working one... and my skills are very rusty been few years since i played with SMT rework equipment.

I will as soon as i recive the broken one first thing is remover and Dump the TSOP thank Xeltek for the Auto ID feature the Old Legacy Model Superpro 680 (http://xeltek.com/pages.php?pageid=11) I have On My Desk Still Supports 11,400+ Parts hehehe Will decompile it and see what's actually going on inside this thing.

Beware Battery Back Up Ram!!! If You Unplug the GPS Receiver You Will Loose Your Almanac And Need To Wait About 30 Min to Download a New One....

GPS CHIP Set
Ublox
LEA-4S-0-000

Main Board, # BM831E

48LC8M16A2 X 2 SYNCHRONOUS DRAM

cy62128ev300ll-45ZXI Still Searching? Anyone?

Altera MAX EMP3256ATC144-10NIC, COMPLEX-EEPLD,256-CELL,7.5NS PROP DELAY,QFP,144PIN,PLASTIC

Flash 29L? Ground Off???? Under the S8 Sticker...

CPU Samsung
S3C2410AL-26 CO707 ARM 9 Under OK SMD Sticker

Right Now Changing Power Plug to Standard Type!!!!

Will Add DB9 Serial Connector To GPS Reciver Board

Lithium Battery Will be Socketed!!!

Will Add Standard USB if I cannot find adapter.

Photo's Are Very Large...!!! Right Click & Download Use Photo Shop Or Something?

Photo 1 Main Board 3.5MB (http://airplanemanuals.com/avmap_apart/Avmap_MB_DL.jpg)

&

Photo 2 GPS Serial & USB 1.5MB (http://airplanemanuals.com/avmap_apart/Ublox_Serial_GPS.jpg)

More To Follow,,,,:) Linux os looking good...