PDA

View Full Version : What happens to all the new aircraft sold?

lauchiemb
24th Apr 2008, 13:15
I was just wondering where all the new aircraft are. All I ever see at the clubs and schools are ageing 152s and PA28s plus Slingsbys and a few Robins. All tend to be quite well maintained but at least twenty years old.

Where are all the new Skyhawks and Mirages that I dream of? Are they in the USA or hidden on private strips or at Blackbush?

IO540
24th Apr 2008, 13:47
Perhaps 90% of new certified planes are sold in the USA.

Non-certified ones, I don't know, but if you include the US Experimental category there is another large # which flies in the USA only.

There is a sprinkling of modern planes around the UK but when you have paid say £250k for a nice machine you want it hangared, and hangarage is a huge problem in the UK. Most of UK's most popular GA airfields have essentially no available hangarage (the hangars might be there but are full of planes that never fly, or there is a very long queue).

But the number of 'spaceships' in the UK is small. Cirrus have sold around 50-100 in the UK so far (SR20/SR22). Diamond have made significant inroads.

But there isn't much that's regarded as suitable for PPL training. A lot of people in the PPL training business don't think the DA40 is built well enough for this and will last only a few years.

Rod1
24th Apr 2008, 14:48
Interestingly if you go to a farm strip you will typically find a significant amount of new stuff, an approximately equal number of vintage aircraft and a very small number of 40 year old spam cans in the middle.

Rod1

egbgstudent
24th Apr 2008, 15:24
Ulster Flying Club (In Newtownards Co. Down) have got a fleet of spangly new(ish) 172's with Garmin gns530 and leather interior

Irish_Stu
24th Apr 2008, 17:00
Indeed! And two of those 172s have been replaced in the past month or so by G1000 172s, so now the UFC fleet is even newer :ok:

radicalrabit
25th Apr 2008, 09:58
So how do you get Objective 1 funding to acquire flying assets?
Air experience for the under privilaged in schools? Wholistic education showing physics and geography at work:ugh: in industry ?

theyounglaird
25th Apr 2008, 12:47
What are on about Radical Rabbit? Sounds like you should stay away from all aircraft (or at least the solvents used).

NW_Pilot
25th Apr 2008, 12:48
I ferry a Bunch of new ones over to the EU, Middle East, and Africa!

egbgstudent
25th Apr 2008, 13:43
Sounds like you have got new toys to play with there Irish Stu.
Keep away from Scrabo, and out of Strangford

gasax
25th Apr 2008, 14:01
Hate to be a wet blanket but although these airframes in Ulster have low hours, apart from the flat screens and leather they are no different to 40 year old Cessna's with a respray.

So no one would ever know unless they got close.....

Perhaps that is the reason for the question?

Irish_Stu
28th Apr 2008, 18:06
I know what you're saying Gasax, but probably the biggest advantage for me is knowing that I'm less likely to turn up at the flying club to find the aircraft has been grounded for technical problems. I started training at a school with old aircraft that were constantly going tech, it wasn't fun.

SpeedbirdXK8
29th Apr 2008, 16:29
Piper UK sells on average one new Piper a month from a Archer III to Saratoga and 6.

Cessna sold at least 1 Caravan this year in the UK.

Aircraft sales are doing well in both the new and used markets.

Ferry pilots are busy.

Plenty of Cirrus being bought and helicopters.

PPL(H) new licences were up in the UK.

Microlights a plenty, they know make up 25% of the UK CAA register.

The Isle of Man register is exceeding all expectations (not all new aircraft).

Recession (sorry, Credit Crunch), what recession!