PDA

View Full Version : ICAO vs State R/T Differences

Mister Geezer
24th Apr 2008, 00:15
Just wondering where each state will publish any different R/T phraseology from ICAO standard that they wish to use?

I know we have CAP413 in the UK but I am lost as to what other states will use.

BusBoy
24th Apr 2008, 02:36
local languages!!
Often in France have no idea as to what is going on around you due to clearances in French, same in Spain.
Only a couple of times has it been a real issue for me eg when we have been cleared for take off and only because we have seen an aircraft turning very short final have we queried. :ugh:

Mister Geezer
24th Apr 2008, 03:06
I am referring to differences in phraseology rather than language differences.

john_tullamarine
24th Apr 2008, 03:53
would expect that to be in the local AIP or equivalent

TCAS FAN
24th Apr 2008, 08:18
Let's not start creating differences, it's not "R/T" its "RTF", ICAO specify that as the standard abbreviation. Most Contracting States, including UK have adopted it, although you could be excused for doubting that when many documents originated by the mandarins at CAA still use "R/T".

Mister Geezer
24th Apr 2008, 11:41
Actually the CAA have been very public in highlighting the differences that they have adopted in the UK. NATS recently made a DVD for aircrew to hammer home what the UK differences are and why the CAA have decided to use these different items of phraseology!

I have not seen (in the UK at least) any mention in any AIP as to what the differences from ICAO are, so I suspect it is not a requirement for such details to be published in a AIP!

hvogt
24th Apr 2008, 11:50
Hello Mister Geezer

according to ICAO Annex 15 Appendix 1 the AIP shall include information on radio communication procedures under section GEN 3.4. This shall include

"a statement concerning the ICAO documents on which the service is based and a reference to the AIP location where differences, if any, are listed [...]"

Mister Geezer
24th Apr 2008, 12:22
Lovely... thanks for that!!!