PDA

View Full Version : Air Canada's preference for new joiners?

NewEssO
20th Apr 2008, 02:23
i've heard that all new joiners into Air Canada have to fly the smaller planes (i.e Embraer and minibusses)

so the answer to my question might be very obvious, but I'll ask anyway:

Does that mean that AC values someone with 1000 hours of copilot on minibus more than 1000 hours on a 777?

basically, I am trying to learn what the best way is to setup to join Air Canada, what kind of hours, and what kind of rating?

Panama Jack
20th Apr 2008, 04:24
My friend,

If you are fortunate enough to get yourself a "time building" job on a 777, you might seriously want to reconsider Air Canada. Air Canada isn't the airline that it used to be, especially considering their starting pay structure. Hence, a number of people aren't going to Toronto on their knees upon Air Canada's beaconed call anymore and turning down the offer.

In any case, Air Canada's preferences seem to be highly variable and hard to plan for. In the past, it seemingly preferred hiring people with Twin Otter experience "from the street" rather than from it's regionals (the logic being that by hiring from it's regional, the regional would have to hire again too).

My recommendation is to seek multi engine time, turbine time, preferably jet, wherever you can get it, preferably in a company that pays you enough to maintain a decent standard of living, in a place you like working, where they aren't trying to kill you. At least if Air Canada doesn't call, your life won't be a frustrated one and opportunities abound elsewhere.

Flytdeck
21st Apr 2008, 18:46
Secondary education is considered when applying to Air Canada. Potential "New Hires" (the term "joiners" is foreign to the AC culture) are initially screened for experience and education. The better the education, the less flying experience required.
Build your flying experience the best you can, but as Panama Jack pointed out, do it safely. Don't focus specifically on Air Canada as there are many other opportunites available that would provide a very fulfilling long-term flying career.