PDA

View Full Version : 12 Hours a year???

stocker
16th Apr 2008, 09:01
One of my friends just started his PPL and asked me about the minimum hours for maintaining a licence once you have obtained it.

Knowing the rule but not sure where to find it I checked my copy of the AIM, found all the licencing info on the 90 day rule etc but nothing on the annual minimum flying hours.

Maybe the print was too small or I just got tired looking but I dont want to dissapoint the man so if any of you can point me to the particular article and save me further searching I`d be grateful.

Twiddle
16th Apr 2008, 09:09
Check revalidation in LASORS, but in a nutshell, either 12 hours in the second year, 1 hour of which must be with an instructor+a signature from an examiner on or before the revalidation date (upto 3 months before) or if you don't meet that, a revalidation flight test with an examiner.

IO540
16th Apr 2008, 09:16
The "AIM" is an American publication, relating to the FAA PPL. This has no minimum hours but a mandatory 2- yearly checkride with an FAA CFI (instructor). The book is called FAR/AIM and comes out every year.

The roughly corresponding UK CAA publication is LASORS but this doesn't contain much of the basic law which the FAR/AIM contains. The law is the ANO. LASORS tends to contain rules which are within the power of the CAA to make as they wish e.g. the maximum number of big toes you can have...

stocker
16th Apr 2008, 09:30
Oh well, Id better get my head into Lasors so he still thinks of me as one of the grown ups..
Cheers for the info.

tegwin
16th Apr 2008, 10:16
Silly question, but where can you buy/download this book of truths?

BackPacker
16th Apr 2008, 10:20
Google for LASORS 2008 and the first hit is the official CAA pdf. You can buy paper copies (who needs those anyway?) from the normal aviation suppliers. AFE Online etc.

==============

Edited to say it's actually the second hit.

DaveW
16th Apr 2008, 18:26
This unofficial PPL Validity summary flowchart (http://www.flyer.co.uk/jar/ppl_valid_single.php) may prove helpful.

Here's the MEP equivalent (http://www.flyer.co.uk/jar/ppl_valid_multi.php).

TheOddOne
16th Apr 2008, 21:41
Google for LASORS 2008 and the first hit is the official CAA pdf. You can buy paper copies (who needs those anyway?)

...the majority of us who find the 2-column layout impossibly irritating to read electronically!

Why oh why can't the CAA produce a web-friendly version that enables you to scroll down the text in a more readable format?

TheOddOne