PDA

View Full Version : Interesting AAIB report

jollyrog
10th Apr 2008, 14:33
From this month's bulletin:

http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources/Piper%20PA-28-140%20Cherokee,%20G-ATMW%2004-08.pdf (http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources/Piper%20PA-28-140%20Cherokee,%20G-ATMW%2004-08.pdf)

dont overfil
10th Apr 2008, 14:43
Most definately not made of the "right stuff."

airborne_artist
10th Apr 2008, 14:43
Amazing that it didn't all come to grief much earlier, and that the landing itself was relatively soft, under the circumstances.

dont overfil
10th Apr 2008, 14:55
I think it was Einstein who said that he thought only two things were infinate. One is the universe and the other is the stupidity of the human race, and I'm not that sure about the universe.

Mikehotel152
10th Apr 2008, 15:02
Very lucky chap.

IO540
10th Apr 2008, 15:10
Credit to the AAIB writer who managed to keep a straight face all the way to the very end.

Knight Paladin
10th Apr 2008, 15:12
The mind boggles.....

XX621
10th Apr 2008, 15:32
I'm amazed the AAIB were so charitable in simply highlighting lack of airmanship. I wonder how many private flights operate in such a fashion which terminate in they way they deserve to (i.e an accident).

Some folk never seem to run out of luck though, and quite often they turn out to be characters such as this one.

I have a sneaking suspicion this one will make its way to the next GASIL....

liam548
10th Apr 2008, 15:42
could have been much worse.

IO540
10th Apr 2008, 16:16
could have been much worse

Could have been much MUCH worse. It could have been an N-reg. Think of the headlines.

LH2
10th Apr 2008, 17:15
Credit to the AAIB writer who managed to keep a straight face

:} :ok:

Now seriously, it's all been said previously, but perhaps the PPL syllabus should put a little bit more emphasis on (practical) planning and performance?

Three Yellows
10th Apr 2008, 17:21
All credit to the AAIB for keeping a straight face and sticking to the facts, however from a legal point of view, I'd like to know.....

1) What action was taken regarding not using a customs airfield in Belgium
2) What action was taken for not filing a FPL coming home
3) What happened regarding not diverting to a customs aerodrome in the UK
4) Did it occur to anyone that all this sneaking about at 300ft was to avoid showing up on radar
5) Did anyone investigate how the pilot managed to very easily arrange to get the vehicle to Hinton... and then find it in the dark. I have enough trouble finding real airports in the dark
6) Is it me... or is there much more to this than the aeronautical/airmanship issues?

Shunter
10th Apr 2008, 17:35
I thought that too... it's almost like a drug-runner's instruction manual, that report. Concerned about fuel? Sounds like he was more concerned about landing at an airport with customs on the premises. Trying to get into an unlit grass strip with nothing but a (here's one I prepared earlier) car as guidance... ho-hum.
</CynicalSpeculation>

tmmorris
10th Apr 2008, 17:42
Hinton's not a grass strip - ex WW2 airfield with ?3 hard runways - but totally agree about the suspicious nature of all this!

Tim

LH2
10th Apr 2008, 17:43
from a legal point of view, I'd like to know.....

None of that is to do with the AAIB, whose only task as required by Annex 13 Chicago 1944 is to investigate the causes of accidents and make safety recommendations based on their results (amazing what one can still remember from ATPL Air Law :ok:)

If feeling nosy, write to the CAA with your questions.

Mikehotel152
10th Apr 2008, 17:43
Yes, I agree to an extent. There are definitely a lot of other questions to be asked. And I hope they were! If not, more fool the CAA...But let's not forget that it is not difficult to get a PPL and a lot of very stupid people have them. :rolleyes:

A and C
10th Apr 2008, 17:45
When as an instructor I have to do a PPL checkout I spend a lot of time on technical issues including engine management an performance planning.

It is a mystery to me that when you ask a PPL to set 75% power they look at you and say "is that about 2300 RPM?"

Three Yellows
10th Apr 2008, 17:50
LH2

I know this

None of that is to do with the AAIB... you Muppet. That's why I said "all credit for sticking to the facts".

But as a pilot who regularly flies across the Channel sticking to the rules, however inconvienient they may be sometimes, I'm keen to know what happens to people who don't stick to the rules, which is, as I acknowledge, outwith the remit of the AAIB.

You seem a little to keen to defend this guy.

LH2
10th Apr 2008, 18:51
When as an instructor I have to do a PPL checkout I spend a lot of time on technical issues including engine management an performance planning.

That's good, what I was saying is it's a shame that the JAR syllabus does not insist more on it, as well as on flight planning--it's all there, but unless as a student you are particularly interested, or happen to have an above average instructor (as I like to think I've had the pleasure), it's easy to miss.

you Muppet

In order to make my browsing a bit more efficient, I have a habit of killfiling posters who consistently fail to make useful contributions to a discussion, or who do not stick to the same standard of politeness one would expect on a face to face conversation. So hasta la vista, baby! :ok:

robinpiper
10th Apr 2008, 19:40
Yeah, I'm keen to hear from anyone who flys direct into a non customs airfield in europe.
Have you ever been questioned or fined?

I've got a good mind to go direct to my destination next time and save the landing fee and extra fuel cost of going via a customs field first.

What do you think the reply would be if on first contact with Deauville approach if I asked if they had customs present, then asked them to cancel my flight plan and route direct.

I bet they would not like it, I'd be doing them out of their landing fee.

M609
10th Apr 2008, 19:48
This guy really should have ended up with a Darwin award..... :ugh:

Three Yellows
10th Apr 2008, 20:03
In order to make my browsing a bit more efficient, I have a habit of killfiling posters who consistently fail to make useful contributions to a discussion, or who do not stick to the same standard of politeness one would expect on a face to face conversation. So hasta la vista, baby!

LH2... That's fine, I don't know what "Killfiling" means, but I don't really want to be seen hanging around with anyone who can quote the Chicago Convention from memory:}

As for Deauville Customs... they are always there... can usually be spotted hanging around outside their office at the left hand end (from the apron) smoking Gauloises and presumably these days discussing Mrs Sarkozy.

Check Airman
10th Apr 2008, 20:24
I had a good laugh after reading the 1st sentence. I laughed again after the 2nd sentence...

This flight was doomed from the beginning. Talk about holes in the cheese!

The guy has a very big bag of luck, and a very empty bag of experience. I'm glad he survived though. Hopefully he'll think again before flying:ugh:

Oldpilot55
10th Apr 2008, 20:40
If it swims in the water (or 500' above) has fins then its fishy.

ronnie3585
10th Apr 2008, 20:44
I thought that too... it's almost like a drug-runner's instruction manual, that report. Concerned about fuel? Sounds like he was more concerned about landing at an airport with customs on the premises. Trying to get into an unlit grass strip with nothing but a (here's one I prepared earlier) car as guidance... ho-hum.
</CynicalSpeculation>

Although it is clear to most what this genius was 'actually' up to, the above statement is sailing fairly close to the wind in terms of defamatory effect. Has the pilot been arrested, charged or worse in respect of the flight or the events surrounding it? If not, it appears that the above statement cannot be defended in terms of libel.

Maybe the mods should have some regard to the frankness of the above statement and tone it down a tad. Don't mean to be a bit of a moan but I've seen at first instance the repercussions of such a statement.

'Chuffer' Dandridge
10th Apr 2008, 20:47
I think we all know what was really happening here.......:=

Cubs2jets
10th Apr 2008, 21:16
The pilot wasn't your famous "Captain Kirk" per chance was it? :eek: Sounds awfully similiar to his antics!

C2j

JUST-local
10th Apr 2008, 23:48
I look forward to reading about the second incident (12/07 France) with some very similar circumstances!

I was told about this a while back and thought (was hoping) it was a wind up. Then the second story!

Hopefully this guy won't try a third trip...:oh:

JL....

Three Yellows
11th Apr 2008, 06:41
Has the pilot been arrested, charged or worse in respect of the flight or the events surrounding it?

That's what we all want to know!

Leaving aside what may or may not have been the cargo, allegedly... what about all the other well documented rules that were broken.