PDA

View Full Version : B737 single-engine landing minima?

Bbow
30th Mar 2008, 02:42
Hi guys,

Having a total brain infarct here (not flown the Boeing for a few years now).

Can someone clarify what the landing minima is when you're single-engine in the Boeing.

I seem to recall it was CAT 1, but I've been told it was CAT3a with a a/p disconnect at 50 ft followed by manual landing, any truth to this?

I looked in the manuals, but all the Vol 1. says in limitations is MUH (minimum use height) for single channel a/p approach is 135 Ft.
Our part B states you must disconnect A/p at 135 ft.

Could someone tell me what the answer is and where I can find it?

rookie#1
30th Mar 2008, 05:53
Cat 1 for B737 Classic. Single engine = single autopliot.

HTH

Denti
30th Mar 2008, 08:18
Would be interesting to know if in those 737s that are equipped with a HUGS (head up guidance system) a one engine out CAT II/IIIa approach is still possible since you can fly it manually anyway.

In normal planes it is not though.

Mr Good Cat
30th Mar 2008, 09:07
As far as I'm aware, only the newest 737NG's (end of 2004-present) have the ability for single engine autolands. Anything before that (definitely all classics without HUGS) will be the standard one-engine, one a/p approaches with MUH 135ft.

The brand new NG's have a totally revamped a/p (think it's a RC as opposed to Sperry?) which is DUAL-DUAL. My Company has several of them but we don't actually use the CATIIIB ability due to training costs / software fit, I believe.

:ok:

Denti
30th Mar 2008, 14:04
Well, you could certify the classics to be CAT IIIa able without the need of an autoland if you had a HUGS installed. So the autoland was not a necessity for CAT II/III.

And yup, our new NGs have CAT IIIb capability as well.