PDA

View Full Version : Why does AirCanada ignore eastern europe?

dash88
8th Mar 2008, 14:34
Airlines flying into YYZ from EU;
Aerflot 4x SVO
Transaero 2x DME
Aerosvit 2x Kiev
Lot altleast 4x WAW
Also Malev, Czec, etc.
Airtransit is starting Croatia in summer

YYZ has huge EU populations, you have to be blind to see the potential!

meaw
8th Mar 2008, 18:07
AC should also fly to Athens,Lisbon,Spain,Lebanon,Thailand,India and Africa but doesn't.I keep scratching my head as to why.
We keep hearing that it is a lack of aircraft but we just returned 11 A340's and a bunch of B767's.

click
8th Mar 2008, 18:46
It's a new trend....we (CSA Czech Airlines) stopped flying into Toronto and Montreal after 37 years of continuous scheduled service. Why? Because the planes were full....that's why. To paraphrase our president, (new kid with a sharp pen and a basket of beans to count) it's because each flight was flown at a loss. Something wrong here, full planes, booked months ahead, impossible to get on in the summer due to weight, always at gross and still being flown at a loss. Someone is not playing with a full deck...and it ain't me.

doo
8th Mar 2008, 23:39
Maybe it would step on too many toes in Star Alliance

connies4ever
9th Mar 2008, 00:28
I think AC is happy with their feed over FRA and connecting to LH's excellent Eastern Europe/Former USSR states/Middle East network rather than push their own metal.

Moscow might happen, and perhaps Beyrut.

J.O.
9th Mar 2008, 00:49
Actually it's Skyservice that will serve Croatia (BEO and ZAG) this summer for the second straight year.

Dushan
9th Mar 2008, 03:28
Zagreb (ZAG) is in Craoatia.
Beograd (BEG) is in Serbia.

Both former Yugoslavia...

Married a Canadian
9th Mar 2008, 12:41
Is it true that Iberia are going to start up to YYZ again...and Air Turkey aswell?

Again if this is true then Air Canada really are missing out on some routes....unless of course there is some restrictive framework in place!?

CSA stopping flights into YYZ?? wondered where they had gone! Odd

connies4ever
9th Mar 2008, 13:06
If AC can make more filthy luchre servicing LHR 12-13x daily from various Canadian locations than they can by going to BEO or ZGB or DME 2-3x weekly, why would they bother with the Eastern Europe destinations ? AC are the 2nd largest North American airline presence at LHR (AA is #1) and are a recognizable brand. So one would expect them to try and build on that.

Going into BEO or ZGB, WAW and other locations is likely going to be low- (or no) yield O&D traffic better served by essentially charter outfits like Skyservice. As an aside, believe SSV will be serving BEO & ZGB with a 757 and a tech stop at SNN. And, from AC's p.o.v., there's the opportunity cost: for all the time the have a 763 tied up serving a minor destination, they're missing out on potential revenue from LHR, CDG, or FRA.

AC has served MAD seasonally from YYZ and I am sure they look at it regularly, same for MAN, which they abandoned last year. VIE might also be possible. As earlier stated, if the Russian economy continues to grow, I think Moscow is a real possibility. BEY has been in their sights for some time but the US government has made it known they would be unhappy with this. I also would expect resumption of service to Mumbai and/or Delhi once the 787s arrive.

meaw
11th Mar 2008, 18:20
Daily YYZ-MAD starting in June on B767.
Heard it was for the summer only but also heard it was going to be year round.

THEICEMAN
14th Mar 2008, 03:15
AC has the star alliance connection through LOT polish & Austrian for eastern europe. No need to fly there when you can code share.

Ac wanted to do YUL-Beirut, but the government put a stop to it. I believe it was in 2004???

Daily YYZ-MAD starting in June on B767.
Heard it was for the summer only but also heard it was going to be year round.

ooh God! YYZ-MAD has been loosing tons of $$$ when they were doing the route. Now they want to do it again???

Why not keep the YUL-FCO? It was looking great! Loads were full & with time, it would have been profitable....Ah well!

AC should also fly to Athens,Lisbon,Spain,Lebanon,Thailand,India and Africa but doesn't.I keep scratching my head as to why.
We keep hearing that it is a lack of aircraft but we just returned 11 A340's and a bunch of B767's.

-Madrid lost a lot $$$$
-Thailand....maybe??? But they have to dedicate a 773 or 77L. Can it make money?
-Lebanon....could work through YUL, and maybe it will be a future route.
-India....lost a lot of money with the A343. The 763 through Zurich lost less money.
-Africa....nice one!

It cost a lot to mix 343 & 777s into the fleet. They are only keeping the 333 for several more years, then it will be all wide body Boeing with the arrival of 787.