PDA

View Full Version : if pilots fall asleep (A320)?

dartagnan
21st Feb 2008, 10:32
what happen after , during NAV mode, you pass the airport.
do the plane switch to HDG, or go to MISSED and hold, (if there is a hold procedure in the Missed approach track)

lowprofilepilot
21st Feb 2008, 10:43
Default to heading! Then the fighters will be deployed!!!!:sad:

5 RINGS
21st Feb 2008, 10:52
hopefully the other guy would have wake you up before that!

Please tell your colleague before you have youself a nap:E

chornedsnorkack
21st Feb 2008, 11:06
We know what happens when pilots of 737-200 fall asleep, and neither of them is in position to wake the other up - and neither can the purser.

Since the purser is the only cabin crew member who knows the cockpit door code, any pilots awake (e. g. on oxygen) in cabin is completely helpless till one engine fails and the cockpit door lock loses power - by which time the fuel is nearly exhausted circling above destination, and it is kind of tricky to do a survivable deadstick landing on an unfamiliar plane with just PPL...

How would an A320 handle in that same situation?

sikeano
21st Feb 2008, 11:17
Answer is very Simple, The good engine of the A320 will take the Plane to the scene of the Crash :ok:

chornedsnorkack
21st Feb 2008, 11:48
The good engine of the A320 will take the Plane to the scene of the Crash

No, A320, like other twins, will no longer have the good engine by the time of crash.

We have seen deadstick landings of both B767 (Gimli) and A330 (Lajes). Which of those planes was easier to land deadstick?

Check Airman
21st Feb 2008, 13:08
We have seen deadstick landings of both B767 (Gimli) and A330 (Lajes). Which of those planes was easier to land deadstick?

I'd say the A330. At least they saw it coming:}

206cc_jim
22nd Feb 2008, 01:32
Since the purser is the only cabin crew member who knows the cockpit door code

Most airlines make the cockpit door code available to all Cabin Crew in the UK, one airline uses it as standard entry rather than reserved for emergency's only and when I travelled on them main crew were in and out more often than I was up for another drink, using the code.

threemiles
22nd Feb 2008, 08:21
Which questions the original intention of keeping violent passengers who put a knife to the throat of a CC out of the cockpit. There is two resolutions to this:
a. stop discussing this here
b. the TSA will demand new rules
Which one do you want?

chornedsnorkack
22nd Feb 2008, 08:50
The person/s in the cockpit are said to possess an override button. The door opens only if the override button is not pushed for a certain time after the code has been entered, whether because no one is capable in cockpit or because they do not mind opening the door.

If the hijackers get the code from the few cabin crew who know it, or if the code is simply easy to get, the person/s in the cockpit would simply keep pushing the override button every time the doorbell rings.

Of course, code or no code but a gang of determined attackers with what tools they have found around the cabin could accomplish something by steadily chipping away the door over the 180+ minute diversion time anyway.

Is there a known case of a plane hijacked because the hijackers knew the door code?

Because there is the known case of a plane lost with all aboard since the cockpit was too hard to enter.

DesiPilot
22nd Feb 2008, 10:48
chornedsnorkack and three miles,

In the Airbus we have three position for the cockpit door operation switch. OPEN, leaves the door open or unlocks the door for someone to enter, Neutral- if emergency code is used from outside after a predetermined time the cockpit door will unlock and LOCK, no action done outside will unlock the door. Of course when someone buzzes from outside I look in the camera to see who it is before I open the door.

dartagnan,

If pilots have fallen asleep than the CC can call us using the interphone. The darn thing is so loud in A320 it will wake up anyone. Now if they are unconscience it is a different story :eek:
Oh and each company has different policy. Our company policy is that the CC must check with flight crew every 20 minutes. Which means that I cannot take longer than 20 minutes of power naps.

Reimers
23rd Feb 2008, 18:02
In Human Performance I learned that a nap should not exceed 20 minutes duration. But what if one feels a longer nap is required, or how to start a 20 minute nap 10 minutes into the interval?
At our company have no fixed schedule that flight attendants are to adhere to, but often they feel safer checking rather often during the night. So I will tell them that we initiate the check, calling them after 18 minutes. And only if this call does not come will they call on the interphone to check. No noise in the cockpit and still a check every 20 minutes