PDA

View Full Version : B-737 Classic initial climb pitch limit?

hocuspocusfidibus
15th Feb 2008, 09:13
Got a question!
With the 737 on very light take off weights it happens to exceed 20° of pitch in order to fly V2+15.
Back in the days when I was flying the 707 my company SOPs invited not to exceed 15° of pitch nose up for pax comfort.

Any comments??

HPF

BOAC
15th Feb 2008, 10:34
A limit of 20 (for 'passenger comfort') is usual. There is no real need to maintain V2+15 with all engines opertaing on a lightish a/c as long as flap limits are observed.

Centaurus
15th Feb 2008, 12:15
Back in the days when I was flying the 707 my company SOPs invited not to exceed 15° of pitch nose up for pax comfort.

Maybe so but although I have not flown a 707 it is probable that the body angles at heavy weights may be a lot lower than the 737 at any weights? I am only guessing here.

Even with heavy weights the 737 in general will climb naturally around V2+25 providing the rotation rate is correct and the normal 18 degrees body angle. A slower rotation rate results in fast speed build up and you have to be careful to monitor the flap retraction rate because it is easy to overspeed the leading edge devices during the acceleration phase of clean up.

With a light 737 and faster acceleration the problem of speed increase commensurate with flap retract becomes something you really have to watch - especially if for some reason you only use 15 degrees body angle to acceleration height

CaptainSandL
15th Feb 2008, 17:05
Performance implications of not flying V2+15 just for pax comfort?

Pennellino
15th Feb 2008, 21:00
I would rather use pitch up of at least 20°,paying attention to not pull more than 25° (upset position as per Boeing QRH) or beyond Pitch Limit Indicator (for stick shaker activation).We should consider also the Low Pressure on FWD fuel pumps blinking if departing with low fuel quantities and a more than normal pitch up condition.Speed...I'd accept what comes out,surely well above V2+15 but hardly impairing flap/slat limitations.Furthermore I hope that day we're using assumed temp method and an earlier than normal climb-2 thrust selection.