PDA

View Full Version : Vx and Vy on A320

NIK_
12th Feb 2008, 08:47
Hi,

just wondering if somebody of you guys can provide me with the information about the Vy and Vx speed on A320.
I pretty sure that Vy is the green dot speed, if Iīm wrong please correct me. But what I donīt know and I cannot find it somewhere in the FCOMs is the Vx, I have an idea but before I start to blame myself I would really like to know if someone knows the answer.

Many thanks

OPEN DES
12th Feb 2008, 09:37
Vx: maximum angle of climb speed: Green Dot
Vy: maximum rate of climb speed: speed at Cost Index 0 (ref. FCTM and getting to grips with perf.) or 250/275/.76

This is all theory ofcourse.

In practice you will select an appropriate speed to expedite and will seldomly make it come back to GD.

Bad to the bones
12th Feb 2008, 10:44
VY= Best Rate of climb speed all engines OP
VX= Best Angle of climb speed all engines OP

FROM FCTM A320

Once airborne The speed can be selected on FCU to achieve the maximum RATE of climb or the maximum GRADIENT of climb.
The speed to achieve the maximum RATE of Climb ie.To reach a given altitude in the SHORTEST TIME ,lies between ECON climb speed and Green Dot. As there is no indication of this speed on the PFD, a good rule of a thumb is to use TURBULENCE speed to achieve MAXIMUM RATE.
The speed to achieve the maximum GRADIENT of climb , ie.To reach a given altitude in the SHORTEST DISTANCE, is GREEN DOT. The MCDU PERF CLB page displays the time and distance required to achieve the selected altitude by climbing at Green Dot speed. Avoid reducing to Green Dot speed at High altitude, particularly at heavy WT, as it can take a long time to accelerate to ECON mach

Pugilistic Animus
14th Feb 2008, 15:18
I guess even with the mystical airbus Vx = [L/D]max ;)