PDA

View Full Version : UK "Rule 5" Exemption charges

JimBall
30th Jan 2008, 08:29
Late last year there was a proposal from the CAA to increase the Rule 5 Exemption fee from £100 to £380 by this April.

The CAA consultation got responses from certain individuals and the British Helicopter Advisory Board - and the result is that this massive increase will not now happen. The increase will be a small inflation-based amount.

Well done BHAB. May your trawl for new members be successful, because your system works.

ShyTorque
30th Jan 2008, 08:44
Very glad to hear it, Jim.

Last year the charge increased by 10% as it is, it went from £90 to £100.

Does this mean it will go up by only 2.9%? - I somehow doubt it.

Whirlygig
30th Jan 2008, 09:56
I hate to be pedantic (actually, that's not true!) but an increase of £10 to £100 is an increase of 11.11%.

Cheers

Whirls

helimutt
30th Jan 2008, 10:14
You love to be pedantic!;)

JimBall
30th Jan 2008, 11:02
I hate to be accurate. It actually went from £96 to £100. And the % is.........

Whirlygig
30th Jan 2008, 11:23
4.17% rounded to two decimal places! Only a tad above inflation.

Cheers

Whirls

leemind
30th Jan 2008, 12:07
Ah Whirls, is that CPI or RPI you are referring to :-)

Whirlygig
30th Jan 2008, 12:09
WPI - Whirls' Price Index. It's a number I pluck out of the air on a random basis - bit like the Government and the CAA do!!!

Cheers

Whirls

ShyTorque
30th Jan 2008, 15:14
Pedantic? Catty, more like. :rolleyes:

That will teach me to read PPRuNe while I'm also thinking about flying..

Don't worry, I'll soon find a spelling mistake (or "typo" as some prefer to call them.....). :E

:p:p

Whirlygig
30th Jan 2008, 15:21
Catty, more like

Ha ha Bitch! :E

Cheers

Whirls

EESDL
31st Jan 2008, 10:02
rotorheads must be grounded I think...................

ShyTorque
31st Jan 2008, 12:33
Well, I, for one, was flying yesterday ;)

JimBall
31st Jan 2008, 16:20
And just confirmed by the CAA - the charge from April 1 will go up from £100 to £103.

Even I can work out that percentage.

Whirlygig
31st Jan 2008, 16:29
Does this mean it will go up by only 2.9%? - I somehow doubt it.
You're right, the increase wasn't 2.9% :} :)

Cheers

Whirls

Aucky
15th May 2011, 12:34
How/to-whom does one apply for a rule 5 exemption for photographic aerial work? what is the likelihood of approval? (floated R44, CPL(H), no AOC)

Scenarios: over water in the vicinity of sailing boats (tall masts) & coastal footage in the vicinity of an open air surf event...

(CAA are shut on sunday, hence asking here, also thought many of you would have personal experience in the matter)

JimBall
15th May 2011, 15:55
Flight Ops GA. £111. Will depend upon duty of care to the public. There's a form here (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=497) and you'll also need the payment form here (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=2181).

Aucky
15th May 2011, 16:04
Thanks Jim, Great help :ok:

md 600 driver
16th May 2011, 15:55
i still think its amazing how it becomes safer when a form is submitted and payment is made

surely a risk assesment from a competent commercial pilot is all that should be required

is it the same in all european countrys? and will it change when EASA gets in total control

gribbs
16th May 2011, 16:00
No reason it should unless EASA decides to implement pan-European Rules of the Air. The RoA are in UK legislation so it's the UK that is responsible for them and any derogation from them.

JimBall
16th May 2011, 17:39
I am not a fan of form filling. But it's really all about a**e covering. The regulatory authority has to justify granting Exemptions/Permissions to any legislation in the ANO. In the case of CAT & AOC holders, they derogate this to the AOC holder - albeit that a conversation might have to happen between the Flt Ops Inspector and a responsible party at the AOC holder.
But for other GA, how can the CAA cover its bum if it's dealing with people it may never have met or inspected?
The completion of the form and the delivering of detail, with its subsequent approval, is a good answer to the risk assessment brigade who would try to have a field day should the operation result in injuries to, particularly, members of the public.
It's pretty easy to develop a good relationship with the appropriate CAA people - it's just a shame they all seem to move-on frequently. IMHO I believe the current charges are fair and proportionate for Rule 5 Exemptions / Rule 6 Permissions.

JimL
16th May 2011, 17:45
Gribbs/md 600 driver,

That's what Single European Rules of the Air (SERA) are. They were out for comment last year!

Jim

Aucky
16th May 2011, 22:18
Jim Ball - The completion of the form and the delivering of detail, with its subsequent approval, is a good answer to the risk assessment brigade who would try to have a field day should the operation result in injuries to, particularly, members of the public.

I found the Flight Operations Inspectorate (General Aviation) very helpful on the phone today, even skipped the automated telephone woman ;), he seemed optimistic, was in no hurry to say NO, and gave me the exact information/advice that I was after. Didn't even have to send a cheque........

.... yet :oh: