PDA

View Full Version : 40th anniversary

hunty
7th Jan 2008, 20:14
Evening all

2008 will see the 40th anniversary of an unusual event, which took place on April 5th 1968. This is the day when Al Pollock flew a Hawker Hunter under Tower Bridge, in protest against the lack of official celebrations to mark the fiftieth birthday of the RAF.

I expect no-one captured it on film?

Hunty

GPMG
7th Jan 2008, 20:37
In 1968 it was the RAF's 50th birthday, yet the top brass did not se fit to mark this with any flypast, choosing instead for mere parades on the ground. Many RAF personnel were less than impressed and one Flt Lt Alan Pollock of 1(F) Squadron decided to mark the occasion in style - first with toilet-roll bombing missions against rival squadrons, and then on April 5th, while suffering from the beginnings of pneumonia which no doubt had some affect on his decision making processes, he flew his Hunter over London and at the last second decided to fly under the top span of Tower Bridge! Knowing of the consequences of his unauthorised trip, he proceeded to beat up several airfields 'inverted' and landed to meet his fate. It would be the end of his RAF career (he went on to run a successful exporting company), with political influences making sure he was treated incredibly unfairly - thrown out of the RAF with no right to appeal, no court martial at which he could present his case, medical evidence ignored, unable to meet with his superiors, etc. It took until 1982 for his case to be fully heard, and only then was he exonerated. Coincidentally, that same year the Hunter he had flown (XF442, which had been sold to the Chilean Air Force) was written off in an accident.Taken from a bit of googleing, no vids so far :(

Also here http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=97214&highlight=tower+bridge

newt
8th Jan 2008, 07:13
Maybe someone would like to make the point again this year???? Could be a quick exit to an airline job!!

teeteringhead
8th Jan 2008, 07:52
The jet in question was at Muharraq in the late 60s/early70s, on 8 or Naval 8, with a dayglo Tower Bridge "mission marker" on the side.......:E

Mr C Hinecap
8th Jan 2008, 08:39
I'm sure the awesome might of MoD PR will have something just as spectacular for the 90th Anniversary - I'm just imagining the thrilling demonstration of air power we can muster.

ATC marching up the Mall making whooshing noises perhaps?

Chough
8th Jan 2008, 08:56
Why not send some of the hundreds of Wing Commanders, Group Captains and the hordes of Air rank up The Mall, seems to me the RAF would be a better organisation if many of them never came back.

Now.......... if this was then followed up wioth a purge at MOD, the RAF might actually begin to move ahead again.

Sorry, boring old fart getting a trifle carried away.

Ivan Rogov
8th Jan 2008, 09:21
By todays standards wouldn't that sort of stunt probably get you locked up, surely even in the swinging 60's it was just as reckless? Was it a great feat of airmanship, or about the most stupid thing you can do with an aircraft and a bridge? Don't get me wrong it sounds like he has balls, but maybe no brains.

Was he really exonerated in 1982?

If so does anyone have the name of his lawyer, could come in useful one day :}

Romeo Oscar Golf
8th Jan 2008, 09:30
Maybe someone would like to make the point again this year???? Could be a quick exit to an airline job!!

What a naughty thing to suggest Newt. Go and stand in the corner and count to a hundred;)

Romeo Oscar Golf
8th Jan 2008, 09:39
most stupid thing you can do with an aircraft and a bridge?

Probably

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v150/roghead/d4788cff.jpg

GPMG
8th Jan 2008, 09:40
I doubt that a Tonka's fin would fit under the bridge.

Gainesy
8th Jan 2008, 09:44
ROG,
Is that from a Canberra in Malaysia? I vaguely remember seeing that before somplace.:confused:

I was told by one of his contempararies that Mr Pollack was a bit of a speed freak on the ground, doing high speed runs on a powerful m'bike in the lanes around West Raynham. Used to time himself going to work and try to knock off a few seconds every day.

Ivan Rogov
8th Jan 2008, 09:49
Nice pic ROG, is it a Canberra? Possibly in SA? Any more info :O
That seems a much more appropriate way to have fun
a) There are less witnesses
B) No one to crash into

teeteringhead
8th Jan 2008, 13:52
And of course the Thames in 1968 was a helicopter route (and still is if anyone is thinking of replicating Al P's feat!)

GPMG
8th Jan 2008, 14:10
And please for gods sake don't drop anything GBU shaped on the Houses of Parliment....say on a Wednesday at about 1205hrs........that would be awfull.....even if it would improve this country and life for everyone living in it.