PDA

View Full Version : AS332L Tech Info Req'd

Farsmaleg
20th Dec 2007, 07:31
Probably should post this on the Engineering Forum but will take a punt on here first.

Does anyone happen to know the pedal pressure required (kgs or lbs) for full deflection of pedals and compression of toe brakes on the Puma (LHS)? I had an accident a few years ago when some rotor debris customised my leg and I'm in the process of trying out some new physio/muscle strengthening on my streamlined limb. It would be interesting to see how far off the mark I am.

Any advice or information appreciated:ok:

212man
21st Dec 2007, 02:50
Join Bristow: they opted not to install toe brakes in the LHS :ok:

Sorry, can't help with the figures, but puts it back to the top. Good luck with the physio!

finalchecksplease
21st Dec 2007, 07:37
Have you tried contacting Eurocopter themselves, they might have those figures as part of the certification process? Otherwise if there is an easy way of measuring this maybe call to an operator of these aircraft might get you these figures.

Good luck with the physiotherapy!

Greetings,

Finalchecksplease

Blind
21st Dec 2007, 14:26
Farsmaleg,

Good to hear from you! Having just had my ankle out of plaster I'd reckon if you can drive a manual car with a heavy clutch you'd be ok in a puma but no idea what the kg/lb values would be. I seem to recall it was your left leg so just go and change a few gears. If it was your right leg the biggest difficulty will be getting in and out of the cockpit.

I always found your meccano leg quite fascinating but I'm a bit odd like that!!:\ I'll pm in the new year to catch up properly. Good luck.

helirider
21st Dec 2007, 14:46
You have a first answer in the certification standards: in the FAR 29.397 (limit pilot forces and torque), it is said: for foot control: 130 lbs
see: http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=5e47967e85ce7ea41ef233d3d49c82c1&rgn=div8&view=text&node=14:1.0.1.3.14.3.329.14&idno=14
Good luck !

Farsmaleg
23rd Dec 2007, 07:36
Appreciate that, thanks. I'll track down the information eventually. Tried Eurocopter and CHC Engineering but no response as yet.

Meccano set has long since gone and now sporting a leg that looks like a half eaten pasty. I may never dance in tights again! :eek:

Look forward to hearing from you.

All the best and thanks to all who responded.

Brom
23rd Dec 2007, 08:16
Pedal pressure in normal flight is not very heavy, as Blind says, 'If you can drive a manual car...etc'. However, a Puma with an autopilot hydraulics failure is something different, the pedal pressure is very heavy and it is required on a base check (OPC, VBC whatever you want to call it) that you demonstrate your ability to land the aircraft in this configuration. I would suggest that this is the pressure you should try an ascertain. Sadly I can't help you with that one as I don't know what value it is, but I would think it's very close to those that Helirider pointed you towards.
Hope this helps, I wish you all the best with your recovery.
Brom.

Farsmaleg
23rd Dec 2007, 10:05
Thanks Brom. I remember that 'jelly leg' feeling after my first OPC and wanted to make sure I can hit those figures before I put myself forward.

Thanks for the response.