PDA

View Full Version : Aussies receive new NH90

Flyingblind
19th Dec 2007, 02:48
Perhaps i should send this link to your PM and advise him that now and again, it is advisable to spend a Little of the peoples money on important assets that allow the guys and girls at the pointy end to do their job more effectively.

Understand from this rumour network ( and others) current UK throw-wing assets are getting rather tired.

Is the reluctance of some to spend the money simply because there not built in UK?

Link;

http://www.defence.gov.au/media/download/2007/Dec/20071218b/index.htm

Like This - Do That
19th Dec 2007, 02:54
Great news but IOC in 2011? Blimey ....

It ain't your grandfather's P-51, is it? Still, I guess it will still beat the F-35 into the squadrons.:ugh:

scran
19th Dec 2007, 03:41
See the last pic? An ex-RN guy recruited laterally is one of the instructor pilots.

IOC of 2011 does sound a bit late. Perhaps the news people got it wrong, and that's full delivery or inital Squadron fully raised...........

BentStick
19th Dec 2007, 04:34
And a new Tiger FFMS (Full Flight & Mission Simulator - Sim hours logged as aircraft hours);:ooh:

http://www.defence.gov.au/media/download/2007/Dec/20071213a/index.htm

Tiger_mate
19th Dec 2007, 06:14
operational capability of 2011

As this surely means all aircraft on the flightline and most crews Combat Ready on type, ie the fleet ready for war, 2011 is quite resonable.

It is a great pity that UKplc are not doing the same.

Rakshasa
19th Dec 2007, 07:03
Given our procurement woes, I'd rather we just bought some shiney G model Wokkas. God alone knows what QinetiQ would do if turned loose on some UK NH-90s! :eek:

Aynayda Pizaqvick
19th Dec 2007, 10:02
Yeah, good thinking... cos a Wokka will EASILY fit into the landing spaces that a small helicopter like the puma does:ugh:

Rakshasa
19th Dec 2007, 14:31
Oooohh, get her! :E

That wasn't a dig at the Puma, more a comment that if we could afford more lift let's get the most lift for our money.

Aynayda Pizaqvick
19th Dec 2007, 17:03
I have nothing to do with the Puma so didn’t take it personally. I am just sick of all the people that think all our SH lift problems can be resolved by purchasing an all Chinook superfleet. Yes it is a brilliant aircraft and one we could scarcely do without, but we need fleets that complement each other.
And if you are after the most lift for our money then surely we should purchase about 50 Hips!!!

scran
19th Dec 2007, 20:46
Tiger_mate,

What you describe is FULL Operational Capability.

Initial Operational Capability (when I worked in an area that was related to this project) was being discussed. The general feeling at the time was Initial capability should be defined as some part of the force to the standard you describe (crews trained, ready for war etc), be that the capability to put a standard "block" (say - 4 birds onto the LPA) ready to do "operational" stuff was available.......................

minigundiplomat
19th Dec 2007, 22:06
then surely we should purchase about 50 Hips!!!

Put the bottle down mate, I think youve had enough!

I agree that the wokka isnt the answer to every question, and the Puma is proving that in the Gulf. But Hips?

Theres a reason they are cheap mate!

knowitall
20th Dec 2007, 00:01
"Is the reluctance of some to spend the money simply because there not built in UK?"

now that westlands is Owned by Agusta thats solveable, at a price

its because he regards all defence spending as a waste of money

Rakshasa
20th Dec 2007, 03:27
I have nothing to do with the Puma so didn’t take it personally. I am just sick of all the people that think all our SH lift problems can be resolved by purchasing an all Chinook superfleet. Yes it is a brilliant aircraft and one we could scarcely do without, but we need fleets that complement each other.

And I don't disagree with you. But we're now talking about a wider issue than I was in my original comment.

I'd wouldn't say no if the treasury loosened the purse strings to buy some but I know even if they did, we'd be talking penny numbers and another asset tying down crews for conversion and training. I doubt they'd pull the plug on Puma - or if they did, replace them frame for frame.

Also, we'd be looking probably at a year or two before we'd have a useful deployable force. That's not gonna help the SH force in the short term as much as some more cabs we already operate would.

Well, that was my thinking anyway.

And if you are after
the most lift for our money
then surely we should purchase about 50 Hips!!!
I wouldn't be against it if they were new and built to western standards but by then they wouldn't be all that cheap either. :}

MarkD
20th Dec 2007, 16:39
I wouldn't be against it if they were new and built to western standards but by then they wouldn't be all that cheap either.And assuming that nice Mr Putin didn't have some kind of kill-switch added in somewhere...