PDA

View Full Version : My neck needs help

Olendirk
16th Dec 2007, 07:02
Guys,

some help how to sit right in the 737. after five days flying i often get pain in the neck and back. i do a lot of sports, but how is the best way to sit in the arcraft and do you have any exercises that help you and you do from time to time? any websites with help fo excersises?

Thanks!

OD

Dani
16th Dec 2007, 07:50
What kind of sports do you? It's important that you strenghten your back and neck muscles. Use weight lifting machines rather than free swinging weights (for stability, at least in the beginning). Go to a well renown fitness center whith a therapy section. Bear in mind that most people train mainly limbs, back and six pack, but forget the head. Do the "Schumacher"-exercises (weight lifting machines for the neck). Be patient and don't exagerate. Do it under supervision of a therapist. Visit a doctor before and if the pain doesn't stop. Do not start to train before the pains are away. Stop immediatly when they come back during training.

Dani

PA-28-180
16th Dec 2007, 08:26
I have a feeling this is destined for 'medical'.
Most of the type of problem you describe is postural, so your question about "how to sit" is very appropriate. Are these problems something you've had before flying? If no, when did the symptoms begin? Have you had any neck/back injuries before? May I ask (even approximate) how old you are?
Don't fly the 73, so can't answer specifically, but need more information to diagnose.
As for exercises, I'd recommend you visit your primary care physician. You may also want to ask for a physical therapy referral, if he/she doesn't recommend one (don't know how this may work in Denmark). The RPT can show you what type of strenghthening/stretching exercises to do along with correct posture, and more importantly, HOW to do them and HOW often to do them.
Hope you feel better soon!

Shiny side down
16th Dec 2007, 08:45
The good old boeing seat. Great for numb areas, and generally keeping you awake.

Best position, pedals retracted, seat slightly forwards, reclined as far back as possible, lights down, eye mask on, radio off. (but we can't do that:})

Otherwise. Swimming.

Nightrider
16th Dec 2007, 14:30
Don't know which variant you fly, but, I had the problems on the classic. Turned out to be the airsupply from the upper outlet which blows nicely on shoulder and neck.
Tried to switch off the recirc fan and it worked. Now the fan is back on, using a highly sophisticated air-distribution spreader thingy...., in most companies called the take-off data card, and have no problem anymore.:eek::D