PDA

View Full Version : UK Significant weather charts

Christophglex
9th Dec 2007, 13:41
I realized there are no more frontal systems included in the UK Sig charts. The answer from the UK Met office was:
Issued SIG WX charts no longer include surface fronts. This was
introduced in November 2007 as a change in the international (ICAO)
requirements for SIG WX charts prepared by London and Washington World Area Forecast Centres.

What do you think about this requirement??

Tail-take-off
9th Dec 2007, 14:12
It is a real shame the fronts are no longer shown. You could tell at a glance what the overall weather picture was & it was easy to determine where to look for the specific info you needed.

Now the charts are much more confusing:(

Bullethead
9th Dec 2007, 15:51
Insignificant Weather Charts perhaps? :hmm:

lurkio
9th Dec 2007, 19:30
If they don't put the info on the chart then they can't get it wrong can they.

Say again!
10th Dec 2007, 09:57
Shame on the weathermen! They just don't know what they are doing....:confused:

RMC
10th Dec 2007, 18:41
The UK sig wx chart (F415...formerly 215) still has fronts but only covers the UK and near Europe.

RAT 5
10th Dec 2007, 20:39
The question was :"What do we think about this?"

Is this once again a case of not asking the customer what he wants? We are the customer of the Wx service. We should decide what info we require. What consulltation was made before this 'fait accompli' happened? Was t made at DFO level and for cost saving reasons? What does the Pilots' voice = unions have to say about it?

Personaly I am interested in knowing if I shall be flying along a front, climbing or descending through one. They also help me understand the TAFs. They also tell me which way to divert in case everywhere marginal and the commercial places are suspect.

Either way. Is this another dumbing down of the industry and the tail wagging the dog? or is there a good sound reason. if there is, let's hear it and understand.

tonker
10th Dec 2007, 20:56
Give it another 50 years and the blue watery bits will be in ....blue and the green.... nnaaaaaaaaaaah

Say again!
13th Dec 2007, 11:36
Is there an email adress, where one could complain. maybe at the UK met office or an icao office?

machone
13th Dec 2007, 14:30
You could always try this [email protected] ([email protected])

frontlefthamster
13th Dec 2007, 19:03
This could be another consequence of the met office's move away from fronts and towards conveyors. :)

Seriously, there is a strong possibility that the obsession with frontal weather, much to the detriment of understanding of air mass weather, may be drawing to a close. :rolleyes:

The conveyor model, whilst unfamiliar to pilots (and some forecasters - but not Exeter-based climatologists) fills in many gaps, but requires a different perspective... :D