PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft manufacturing in Canada: Can an irishman get a job?

nosefirsteverytime
4th Dec 2007, 17:16
Well, I'm about to leave college with a 3-year Ordinary Degree (equivelent to a bachelor's in Canada I think) in Manufacturing Engineering, and I'd like work with water-borne aircraft (I suppose that's my thing really), so what chances have I of getting a job across the Atlantic? Would it be worth it? Or should I just look across to the UK?

5400AirportRdSouth
6th Dec 2007, 20:51
Hey Nose,

Yeah, probably not...even over here everyone knows you cant trust the Irish!

Just kidding!

I know that their used to be a one-year work visa / working holiday visa type deal for citizens of other commonwealth countries. I knew a boatload of Aussies that came over to work at the ski hills here and as long as you were under a certain age( 26? 30? ) the one-year work visa was almost automatic... Could be worth looking into.

And of course, Viking Aircraft out of Calgary/Victoria is getting ready to start producing the DHC-6-400 in very short order as well.... might be worth looking into.

Good luck!

ICT_SLB
7th Dec 2007, 02:32
Bombardier have, in fact, just got more orders for the CL415 (aka the "Superscooper" to the Californians) which they build in North Bay, Ont. They also have a lot of ex-Shorts engineers in both Montreal & Toronto. Like the majority of North American airframers, they're recruiting pretty hard at the moment.

I'm not sure about the exact rules but I beleive if you're from south of the border you can get preferential treatment for a work permit in the US so you could join fellow countrymen here at Learjet.

V1... Ooops
9th Dec 2007, 10:47
Sure, contact Viking Air (www.vikingair.com) - I know that Viking hired one engineer from Ireland two months ago. The company makes the Twin Otter, which is often used on floats.

DHC6to8
11th Dec 2007, 13:58
Dear V1...Ooops...Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a few questions for you and I noticed that I am not able to email or Pm you directly. If you don't mind woudl you mind contacting me via my email.

Thanks a bunch mate!
6to8

Mike Strutter
12th Dec 2007, 16:53
Ireland is most certainly NOT in any commonwealth.