PDA

View Full Version : ryanair vs instructing

willfifteen
30th Nov 2007, 20:27
Hi all!

I have been offered to go for an interview for the €28.5k deal with ryanair, and my doubt is now:
Should I go for it (260 pounds the interview) regardless the financial problems I will have in the first years or should I try to find a job as an instructor (I have my FI rating on my license), which I am being told there's some available and hold there for a better deal which I am sure will come across at some stage?

Basically what I am asking here is for some similar experiences you may have already had (especially from people who are now working at ryanair or those who were in this situation and decided to instruct).

Please, don't enter into the "I am not paying for my type rating" thing generally, as this is quite more specific to ryanair and the deal you get with them.

Thank you very much in advance for any constructive input!

wf

ab33t
30th Nov 2007, 21:07
This is a no brainer , jet time or 152 time , yup the first year will be hard but hey the jet time will be getting higher , once that is over you will be on +- 70 euro a hour.

adverse-bump
30th Nov 2007, 21:10
depends, do u want to rush onto a jet, which u may be flying for 30/40 years, or spend a year doing FI work, have fun, and end up a much better pilot.

willfifteen
30th Nov 2007, 21:27
Well, let me point out/ask a couple more issues/questions:

How much can you expect to earn during your first year with ryanair(from the assessment day up to one year afterwards)?(Better if someone already working at ryanair them can point this out)

How do you repay the loan (I don't have the 28.5k in my pocket) while not yet earning any money(or earning less monthly than loan repayment)?
Which bank does borrow you that an amount of money(28.5k + living expenses for ?6months? + interests till you can pay), with you not having a job offer/contract?(I am not a british/irish national and may not qualify for certain loans)

Any advice/info really appreciated

wf

supramkiv
1st Dec 2007, 01:52
Sorry but this is a no-brainer and i'm definately not a fan of RyanAir's treatment of its pilots.

Sure flight instructing will make you a better pilot and certainly a better prospect then a low hours guy, but IMO it doesn't even come close to the personal development as a pilot you will experience operating a jet as a First Officer, which is far more complex and requires a far higher level of situational awareness then teaching students circuits in a 152.

I am not trying to put down flight instruction in any way but if your career goals is to fly jet airliners and you have been offered a jet job then take it, even if it involves lining Mr O'Leary's pockets. In 3 years you should have the experience to go work for a decent airline.

Good Luck! :ok:

Deano777
1st Dec 2007, 02:53
No brainer

get in the system now before there's an economic downturn, if (when) it happens you will probably have to wait a few years or more.

PosClimb
1st Dec 2007, 03:25
You have to pay Ryan Air 260 Pounds for an Interview?

If you have to use the toilet during the interview, is there an extra charge for the toilet paper?

dartagnan
1st Dec 2007, 07:24
the 260 pounds include the sim, so a good way for you to see a 737 simulator and see if you enjoy it or not. go for it...

as for paying for the type, it is risky.but if you don't take any risk, you wont get nothing.

I would suggest you to go for the selection and see by yourself, 260 pounds wont kill you.:ok:

YYZ
1st Dec 2007, 11:08
Lets not turn this into the normal "OMG, Ryanair charge for everything" debate. The question has been asked and it's nothing to do with paying.

I don't think it's a no brainer. It depends on your age, if you are young I'd say instruct, money is improving and other doors do open once you're in the system, however, if you are on the wrong side of thirty, then you have to go for Ryanair, difficult for the first year it will be, but you will progress quickly.

YYZ

adverse-bump
1st Dec 2007, 11:28
I don't think it's a no brainer. It depends on your age, if you are young I'd say instruct, money is improving and other doors do open once you're in the system, however, if you are on the wrong side of thirty, then you have to go for Ryanair, difficult for the first year it will be, but you will progress quickly

Probably the best bit of advice on here.
:ok:

portsharbourflyer
1st Dec 2007, 11:29
It also depends on what kind of a deal you can get with the instructing. There are some instructor jobs out there now paying salaries/ decent daily retainers.

Early this year I had contemplated doing a type rating with either PARC or SKyblue. A week before the tr assessment I was offered a full time instructors job paying a respectable retainer. I opted for the full time instructors job.

At the end of nine months of full time instructing I was invited to four different airline interviews/assesments.

Received two offers as a result and consequently in the next few months I will be starting a turboprop type rating.

All four of these interviews/assesments were offering training bonds.

All I can say is I am glad I opted for the instructors route I am certainly £20,000 better off for it. As an instructor I was certainly earning more than a second officer at Ryanair.

Superpilot
1st Dec 2007, 11:50
As an instructor I was certainly earning more than a second officer at Ryanair.

You were earning more than £2.2k/month?

portsharbourflyer
1st Dec 2007, 12:19
I did say Second Officer not First Officer.
Retainer + flight pay as an instructor worked out at about the equivalent of 18,000 a year, at this time of year the bad weather means I can't fly but I still get my retainer and can sit around wasting time on pprune.
Well I thought the SO pay scheme in the first year at Ryanair, was 850 a month for the first six months, then 850 a month + half sector pay, therefore the figure I heard quoted for Ryanair second officer in the first year was about the equivalent of 17000, plus if you consider the fact it costs you 30,000 (type rating + expenses during line training) to cover your first year at Ryanair, then effectively your first year you are working at a loss. So yes I will still claim to be better off than a Ryanair second officer in the first twelve months.
I am not saying don't go to Ryanair; I just think instructing in the long term leads to better and more interesting opportunities. If this guy already has invested in an instructors rating then I think my own experience shows that persevering in the FI field will yield a result in the end.

Luke SkyToddler
1st Dec 2007, 12:30
I got nothing really to add to the views aired, they're all valid points of view but it is a sad indication of just how bad this industry has got, when people can have a serious for-and-against argument about the relative merits of instructing vs joining Ryanair!

JCM5
1st Dec 2007, 13:18
willfifteen let's analyse the pros and cons (from my point of view):
Instructor + You are already a FI and Spain is the FTO's paradise! It's a rewarding experience and you will acquire very nice flying skills.
Instructor - Where to work? In Barcelona there's only one "serious" school, maybe you have to move away if you want to work in a proper environment. Salary is not competitive at the beginning as a single-engine VFR instructor.
Ryanair + B737NG, challenging, 2 bases in Barcelona (Reus available from Oct'08).
Ryanair - The initial outlay and T&C, as you should know... FR is not the most glamorous airline!

I do not know exactly how much money you'll earn during the 1st year as a SFO. As far as I know, during line training (2 months) only 750 or 1000 pounds. Then 50 per hour (less after tax).

If you think pay off the loan will be difficult for you, then you're a FI, find a job, enjoy teaching and flying and take your time, better opportunities will knock at your door!

Superpilot
1st Dec 2007, 13:28
phf,

I assume your getting that info from ppjn.com? If so, I've seen it there for a long time too and am surprised how it has gone unchallenged. From the guys that I know who have started with FR recently. They were on 800p/m for only 2-3 months and then straight onto Brookfield contracts earning around £2k a month.

Nichibei Aviation
1st Dec 2007, 14:25
It depends alot of what you want to do in your life with your license and Honestly, I would go for Ryanair if I were you.
The pay is not spectacular in the first years but if you instruct now and start on the line 5 years later, at that moment you will earn the same money as you would now.

Personally, don't take it too hard but I don't think that people asking this sort of questions belong in an airline cockpit.
It's a matter of common sense, and you will need that alot during your career believe me.

About the Ryanair deal and your eventual financial problems:
YES it's a self-sponsored training, but you will get a contract from Ryanair that says that you will be hired if you complete the TR, so in no way is it similar to students who just close their eyes and jump into a TR without job warranty.

Financial problems?
NO, if you show your job warranty stuff signed by Ryanair, any bank will get you enough money to spred-pay your TR in as many months as you want.

But you've not passed the selections yet, and if I were you I would fetch my books and start studying ;)

Bambe
1st Dec 2007, 14:30
Asking people what to do is a point, but man the choice is yours. I've seen on this forum some guys cancelling there FR's interview after reading some post....It's nosense.

The fact is that today, Ryanair is the main opportunity for low hours pilot in Europe. If you have a look on OAT website, you'll see that over 50 recent graduated are now flying for Ryanair...Which means they paid over 80 000 pounds for their training... That's a hudge amount of money but they are all flying a B737NG.

I wish I'll never have to fly for FR, but if I don't have any other choice, I'll do it. Think of what you really want. It's not for sure the best position but your career is just beginning and you'll have many opportunities within the next years with 3 to 5 000 heavy jet hours.
260 pounds is not a big deal man, take the assessment, do your best, and simply do what you've trained for...

Cheers

portsharbourflyer
1st Dec 2007, 14:40
Yes it is based on the ppjn info, and you are probably correct in the figures you quote for the Brookfields contract.
It is probably fair to say that if you are going to pay for a rating Ryanair is not the worst scheme out there (at least they pay you something for the line training) unlike other SSTR schemes where you pay for the line training.
However, I will still vouch that instructing will yield more interesting opportunites.

1st Dec 2007, 16:02
Sure flight instructing will make you a better pilot and certainly a better prospect then a low hours guy, but IMO it doesn't even come close to the personal development as a pilot you will experience operating a jet as a First Officer, which is far more complex and requires a far higher level of situational awareness then teaching students circuits in a 152.

Because you think flying the same routes over and over again develops your sense of SA? :hmm: Perhaps!

I'm sorry willfifteen, I do not have any advice to give you. They both have their pro's and con's as you've already found out yourself. As it was said earlier you're the one with the answer as it will also depends on your personal situation.

zakka
1st Dec 2007, 18:54
Don't waste your money on Ryanair. Go for the instructorjob.

Just having to pay £260 for the interview shows how much they care about their future staff - stay away from them.

supramkiv
1st Dec 2007, 21:24
Because you think flying the same routes over and over again develops your sense of SA? :hmm: Perhaps!

As opposed to flying the same nav x-country routes over and over again, but at 100kts? Or round in circles in the circuit?

It may be down to my inexperience in the RHS but I find an airliner cockpit far more challenging and a far higher demand on my S.A. then I ever experienced in GA aircraft.

Maybe you're finding it so easy (presuming your FC) because of the high standard of SA you have from piloting jets! :ok:

I'm in no way bashing instructing as an option, but the sooner you start getting jet time you'll end up leap years ahead of someone who instructs for a period of time instead, both financially and in experience.

You could instruct for a year and still find that only RyanAir will offer you an interview just like that, especially if the industry enters the negative part of its cycle.

Just my 2c :) (flame suit on)

2nd Dec 2007, 04:41
Supramkiv, it seems that you're either insulting your instructors or you've been badly trained. :{

Whatever you do is your choice hopefuly. Enjoy it. And whatever altitude / flight level you fly at, stay down to earth and keep a small head on your shoulders.

portsharbourflyer
2nd Dec 2007, 08:50
Supramkiv
I assume you have never actually instructed. There is a difference between just flying a light aircraft and instructing in one. Personally I found the FI course alot harder than the IR or the CPL.
Of course a jet from a systems point of view and speed is going to create workload, however in a jet you are operating multi crew.
After instructing if ever you leap back into an aircraft and you only have to fly the aircraft then you suddenly realise that is feels incredibly easy; that is because when teaching and flying, the teaching aspect uses a reasonable amount of capacity. Also a 737 is alot more complex than a seneca; so are you going to tell me you have better SA than a seasoned air taxi pilot; I somehow doubt it.
Anyway the above argument is irrelevant to the original question.
However what I would like to add it is the JAA training system has propagated the SSTR route, in the CAA self improver system you had to gain 700 hours to gain a full CPL; as a consequence most people were forced to spend some time in general aviation; the JAA modular system allowed modular/self improvers to hold the CPL at 200 hours and this has allowed Ryanair to take advantage of low hour pilots.
It is a gamble Ryanair- large outlay but straight onto jets
Instructing- no guarentee of a job at the end- but after a year you could still find yourself invited to an interview for a jet job where the company pays for the rating and covers all the other stuff as well (uniforms etc).
Anyway for the original poster; why not instruct for 6 months full time see if anything arises, if not then consider the Ryanair route.

supramkiv
2nd Dec 2007, 11:34
I'd like you to explain how i'm insulting my instructors? This is purely a debate on wether someone should choose to instruct over accepting a job offer from a jet operator. If the posters goal is to fly airliners and not be a career instructor then I personally see little point in burning VFR holes in the sky, as I expect the majority of the initial instruction he gives will be limited to SEP VFR PPL instruction. And who knows what the market will be like in 1-2 years. I'm sure an instructor really does raise the bar once teaching MEP, IR's and CPL's, but depending on where the person instructs this could take some time.

If people enjoy instructing and choose to do it and prefer it, then by all means do it.

F.O. 737-800
2nd Dec 2007, 16:11
As can be seen by a lot of the posts to the original question, everyone is under the impression that the way he/she has proceeded with there aviation career is “clearly” the most sensible route, and this is in some ways quite correct as everyone has differing circumstances and will take the best option for them at the time.

For what it’s worth IMO, Ryan Air would be the way to go if you can afford it/comfortable with taking on that amount of debt. It’s no mystery that as a company they lack any ethics and will no doubt at some point treat you poorly. However they will put you in the right seat of a shiny new 737-800 and you will be getting those all important hours on type. Stay a year or two, leave and remove the whole experience from your memory. Please understand I’m not knocking all those FI out there, I just think as an FI there is still a strong chance that in the end you will have to pay for a type rating on a jet.

In the end do what is best for you.

Good Luck

emme
2nd Dec 2007, 20:40
I think that one thing doesnt exclude the other because if you are going to be based near your home (it happen) you could be even instructor and flying for this company...Many peoples even if they got a job on a big jet they are stil involved as instructor with some airclub or training school.
jusy passion for fliying!!
I

emme
2nd Dec 2007, 20:42
I think that one thing doesnt exclude the other because if you are going to be based near your home (it happen) you could be even instructor and flying for this company...Many peoples even if they got a job on a big jet they are stil involved as instructor with some airclub or training school.
jusy passion for fliying!!
I would waist this money in the assestment its a tragedy fail!!

ReallyAnnoyed
2nd Dec 2007, 22:47
Emme, instructing counts as commercial time in the eyes of the CAA which means that every hour spent in a bug smasher will have to be deducted from the maximum 900 hours that the airline can utilise you. Therefore not always easy to obtain permission from the company to instruct in your own time, as it decreases the work you can do for the airline.

3rd Dec 2007, 03:36
I'd like you to explain how i'm insulting my instructors?
By patronising them/us! Read your posts again.
Another example: little point in burning VFR holes in the sky
Without an instructor "burning holes in the sky" with you, you wouldn't feel being in the right hand of "an airliner cockpit far more challenging".
I seem to understand that you do not know what instructing is all about (please correct me if I'm wrong). But that's ok. You can't know everything and/or be good at everything:rolleyes:.
If the posters goal is to fly airliners and not be a career instructor
Did you happen to leave school/college/uni and went straight to that
commercial flying job? No other jobs in between knowing that these wouldn't be a career? Did you ever wash those easy flown VFR hole burning aeroplanes?

Mungo Man
3rd Dec 2007, 10:53
and you'll have many opportunities within the next years with 3 to 5 000 heavy jet hours.

Is the 73 really a heavy?!

My advice, just do what you want to, as long as you can afford to financially. Instructing can be great fun for a while.

flyingcamel
3rd Dec 2007, 12:37
Not meaning to be obtuse, but why would you have an FI rating on your licence and not be sure about using it? Ryanair's intake of low hours guys is hardly news to anyone and so you must have known of this before you did your FIC so why enter into this decision after the FIC?

Also regarding the Ryanair assessment, I do recommend you go along and do it. You can always turn the job down later, and I believe it's an open offer for up to a year. However, you do have to actually PASS the assessment, before you can realistically chose between the two so don't go counting any chickens. I was lucky that I was offered another job straight after my FR interview whilst in the waiting area for the sim! However, I wasn't offered FR, for whatever reason. I didn't have to make MY decision in the end, it was made for me.

In my personal opinion I would go do the assessment regardless (if you can afford the £260.) Who knows, you might learn something about FR/yourself/CRM/jet skills and countless other lessons that MAY carry across into instructing and benefit you and your students long term. I instructed in another industry and found it MASSIVELY rewarding. If using your FI at least you build time, get paid (albeit not a large some) and get the buzz of instructing.

Go do the assessment THEN make a better informed decision, would be my advice. But either way, good luck.

Desk-pilot
3rd Dec 2007, 22:54
I for one think that this decision boils down to two key elements:

1. Can you afford the £25000 investment required for Ryan Air?
2. Do you like the idea of jumping straight onto a jet or are you happy to instruct for a while - and yes age does play a part in this.

For me Ryan Air is the last company I would ever want to work for because the guy who runs it is the worst kind of sh*t and has pretty much demolished and dehumanized this industry in a mere decade. On the other hand I was older and never really had any desire to instruct as a career so in your shoes I would probably go for the airline option (even Ryan Air).

One further observation, I spoke with a BA longhaul SFO the other day and he has pretty much worked his way up through the industry from instructing on a 152, to single crew twins, then regional turboprop before joining BA some years ago. He said to me that his job satisfaction has been inversely proportional to his pay packet and status because quite simply flying short hops in a puddle jumper is actually more 'fun' than systems monitoring in a 777 for ten hours. It certainly made me think about things and is an interesting perspective.

For what it's worth I decided that I would not self fund a type rating because after funding an integrated course and maintaining currency I had reached my self imposed line in the sand that meant I wouldn't sacrifice my family any further at the altar of aviation. I'm pleased to say after almost two years of job hunting I eventually joined a well known turboprop operator who still do things the 'right way' with a bonded type rating, uniforms, line training, hotels and hire cars etc all fully provided by the company. I admire companies with such business ethics so the BA's, Virgin's, Monarch's, Flybe's of the world will always command my respect whereas Mr O'Lairy does not!

I hope this is helpful,

Desk-pilot

supramkiv
4th Dec 2007, 14:03

No, I fail to see how i've insulted instructing one bit. Of course I am glad that people do choose the instructing route, but over all the various ratings/licences i've taken every instructor bar one has been doing it for one reason, no airline job offer yet, and have left instructing the second an offer was on the table.

Not for a second have I said that the service provided isn't extremely valuable, but this isn't a discussion about the service they offer, it's a discussion on what the job brings to their own ability vs accepting a 737 job and what that would add to their ability.

I don't have any statistics on the %'s of instructors doing it for a career vs those doing it to get an airline job but at a guess I'd say it steers towards the higher % doing it to get an airline job, but I stand to be corrected. Which would explain to me why most of the schools/clubs around SE England are struggling to retain instructors during this recruitment peak.

portsharbourflyer
4th Dec 2007, 14:36
Spramkiv,

You have just stated a very valid argument for doing the FI route; lots of schools are struggling to retain instructors due to the recruitment drive at the moment.

Also you can bet all these instructors are getting training bonds and not having to pay for ratings.

4th Dec 2007, 22:49
Ok I believe you. A different wording might have got the message through better though.

I agree with some of your points but won't discuss it any further as it's already been done in previous threads: What experience is best? (eg: ability to manage a cockpit, handle an aeroplane, an unforseen situation, etc), and why do instructors leave?

willfifteen
5th Dec 2007, 08:28
Hi all!

Thank you very much for all replies, they are all really appreciated.

I am steering to the instructor route. I am not going to starve for 2 or 3 years or more just to fly a shinny jet, at least not yet.

I would say the Ryanair offer would convince me if you had a decent pay that allowed you to live and repay the loan that began being paid the day you began to fly with them (after base check for instance) (setting aside any thoughts on how they treat their employees), but as it is not the case, I just can't afford to live on nothing plus having such a loan for 1y+.

Hopefully I will come back to this post in a year's or two years' time and find I choose right.

I will post my view in a year's time or so.

Happy landings to all!

wf

tupues
5th Dec 2007, 12:26
Remember though not everyone is a natural teacher. People act as though anyone can easily be a instructer. Its one thing being able to fly its another to teach it.

MarkyT
5th Dec 2007, 13:09
Tupues, your right mate not everyone is FI material.
When i finish my training ideally i'd like to get a job on light twins (through family connections) for a year or two, building experience and hours. Then i'd be a better pilot and have experience in ''life stuff''. I personally don't want to go down the FI route, but at the end of the day if it was a choice between FI and Ryanair.... i'd be forking out the dosh for O'leary. I know you older (more experienced) guys don't agree with paying for TR, but like most people you'll do what it takes to get where you want to be.

One last thing, what's the rush to fly jets??? If your young then you got all the time in the world for that.

Take it easy:ok:

Marky

portsharbourflyer
5th Dec 2007, 17:00
MarkyT,
Flying Light twins if it is on an AOC will be single pilot public transport work, as such you will need 700 total time with at least 40 p1 multi IFR; alot of air taxi companies will ask for 1000 total with 100 p1 multi, as such air taxi work in light twins is not something for a fresh qualifier.
It is actually easier to be co-pilot on a big shiny jet than to fly single pilot in a light twin.
With 250 hours air taxi work will not be an option.

Flying in Africa may give you a chance to build the required hours though.
The majoirty of air taxi pilots will have come from an instructional background.

MarkyT
5th Dec 2007, 17:08
Thats why i said family connections, i won't need that many hours to fly for them:ok:. Cheers for info though.

Marky

portsharbourflyer
5th Dec 2007, 17:21
Sounds as though you are going to be flying a "private owner around" in their own aircraft, good stuff anyway, enjoy.

6th Dec 2007, 01:24
When i finish my training ideally i'd like to get a job on light twins (through family connections) for a year or two, building experience and hours. Then i'd be a better pilot
Unfortunately "experience" doesn't rhyme "better" :ouch: all the time...

MarkyT
6th Dec 2007, 09:33
2604, would you recommend i go straight 'fresh' to ryan air then? I agree experience doesn't always make you better, but i f***ing hope it does:}!

Marky

portsharbourflyer
6th Dec 2007, 09:53
Misfortunately to get experience you have to start off inexperienced. so at some point you are going to have to be slightly out of your depth.
My only word of caution MatkyT is you may have an excellent opportunity to build experience, but there are reasons that air taxi companies have the minimum hour experience requirements. Flying a heavily loaded twin on one engine isn't a walk in the park. I will add alot of the training aircraft such as the dutchess, seminole or the twin star will not prepare you for flying a larger twin.

Yes a 250 hour person is going to be alot more suited to flying as an FO on a 737 than flying light twins single pilot.

MarkyT
6th Dec 2007, 10:16
The reason i was going to fly the twins is to see all my family in NZ, I need to see the world before i start my career. I know what you mean though mate. Its either i fly on my year (or 2 years) off round the world or just chill?!

Marky

Splab
4th Jan 2008, 19:12
I am an FR SO (FO who knows what rank, depends what you read, 2 stripes anyways) at the moment, and I paid for the TR. Just for info here is the pay deal and time frame:

During TR - No pay no accomodation (7-8weeks)

3-4 weeks off

Base training (from this day onwards €15k per anum)

1 week off

Line training (2 months all over europe and you have to pay for accommodation, free jump seat rides for positioning. This is stressful just because of the moving around, sometimes with only 2 days notice before you start, but trainers and training is top notch, in my opinion, and fun!)

Once Line checked at end of line training is complete, 1/2 sector pay, so you can be on 1/2 sector pay from 3 months after your TR finishes. Sector pay rate depends on base. Some cadets are "based" in uk, as in they do most of the line training in uk, then they get the higher uk rates, most are in europe and on the lower euro rates. I was on euro (no choice here) and conservatively work on £600 -£700 per month 1/2 sector on top of the basic salary of 15k. So that works out as about £1200 gross

Post line check and before being permanantly based you may still be moved around. Permanant base given between a week to a couple of months, depending on how lucky and vocal you are.

Normally given 3 options of base, but contract tends to be a brookfields contract, this may change now as new pay deal agreed by Ryanair FOs.

Brook contract then from around 4-6 months from TR finsihing

€55.5 per scheduled block hour (<500hrs Jar 25)
€75.5 per sbh (>500hrs)
€85.5 per sbh (>1500hrs)

Expect to do about 75 hrs a month (but this can vary from 50 - 100) so:

£2900 gross after 4-6 months
£3900 gross after 9-12 months -ish depending on hrs and eschange rate

Not sure what the Ryanair rates are on their contract but I don't know any FOs that are on it. Be aware brook contract you are self employed effectively. No sick pay, pension or basic salary! All based on flying time. You have to sort out your own tax and national insurance, i.e. you need to pay for an accountant, well unless you like numbers and that sort of stuff. Remember "tax doesn't have to be taxing", yer right!

This is just for info, I don't want to join the eternal FR debate. Make up your own minds, but next month I will be on £3900 gross and I have been in the company about 9 months. Your choice, but think of earnings differential by going into instructing and how long it would take to fund a TR. In my opinion they probably equal, but I'm on a jet NOW!

Good luck all of ya, it's worth it, I was in your position this time last year and I know how you are feeling. :ok:

VNA Lotus
5th Jan 2008, 00:56
Well it is very funny that people talk about choice...
Personnally between instructing and FR, I would choose instructing...
Just because it is not about any choice, I don't have enough money to spend for a TR (30000 euros). but I have money for FIC.
If I had money, I would pay for TR maybe.
But it is not the case, and I can't see how we can live during two month without being paid. (pay TR, food, accomodation, clothes etc) Unless momy and daddy can help...

So it does not make any sense in my opinion to compare a FIC (10000 euros) and a TR (30000) !! if you guys you compared a 320 TR and 737 TR, I would understand.
Sometimes people do not have enough money for a TR like that.
Think about it.

Honestly with money we can have a lot of things, I would like to pay this the TR. But when I think more, I really prefer to earn a job and a company pays a TR for me because they believe in you.
And do not tell me companies like that does not exist it just take more time.

Young people who pay for FR, they just want to be in a jet at 20 y/o.

Obviously, (maybe I'm wrong) people who can throw 30000 euro like that, I guess money it is not an issue for them. i can't see others solutions...

so it is not question of choice : you have got money, naturally you'll pay a TR just because you can. You don't have enough money, you'll work as a FI, then turbopro, then jet...

Do whatever with your money, but please don't say you always have to pay a TR to become a pilot on 737 320. It is not true.
Wannabees : don't believe those fashion victims. Take your time, maybe it will take 10 years to fly a 737... so what ?
we are never happy, one it is 737 tomorrow 777 and after tomorrow A380...
Be satisfied as long as you fly.

davidathomas42
5th Jan 2008, 01:19
Well said VNA Lotus

Finally someone on here with half a brain that see's the bigger real picture

EpsilonVaz
5th Jan 2008, 07:10
Obviously, (maybe I'm wrong) people who can throw 30000 euro like that, I guess money it is not an issue for them.

Yep. You are wrong.

Money is a big issue for me, IF I decide to go the Ryanair route (which I most possibly might), I will not be taking the decision lightly nor will I be throwing €30k at them because it was pocket money from mummy.

So it does not make any sense in my opinion to compare a FIC (10000 euros) and a TR (30000) !!
Think about it.

Of course the SSTR route is not for everyone, different people have different targets and goals in life. Fair enough.

But, think of it as an investment, after all you are investing in yourself and your future. There is a much higher ROI when taking a Ryanair SSTR than a FI rating. Anyway, I would rather invest in myself than some dodgy stocks and shares! ;)

Young people who pay for FR, they just want to be in a jet at 20 y/o.
Wannabees : don't believe those fashion victims. Take your time, maybe it will take 10 years to fly a 737... so what ?

Maybe some people's goal isn't to fly light aircaft, maybe they've always wanted to fly big Jets. Again, different people different goals.

we are never happy, one it is 737 tomorrow 777 and after tomorrow A380...

That's called ambition.

Be satisfied as long as you fly.

Of course that would be ideal in a magical world of fireflys and faries, but, we live in a wonderful world of bills, commitments and the taxman. For some people flying is their job, they cannot afford to go flying around VFR in a C152 for hours on end each day then go back to a wife/kids and expect to pay the bills each month.

Flying a C152 is different than flying a B737, different people will enjoy the different aspects and experience each seperate type has to offer. Who's to say who will prefer what?

EpsilonVaz