PDA

View Full Version : Good/Bad Instrument Panel Colours?

brine
29th Nov 2007, 10:16
Instrument panels come in many colours: British were black, then light grey; American a tasteful mid green; Russian bright turquoise blue/green; western airliners light grey or a pleasant beige; GA aircraft, any colour, including red!
No doubt aviation research institutes came up with the different colours – so why are they all different?
As a long-term instrument man, I feel the main requirement should be that the instruments must be easy to read with a bright or dark sky outside. The iris closes when looking at bright light, so dark instrument panels are too much of a shock to the eyes.
So what is the best or worst colour? Any pilots with any opinions?
Brine :)

Rainboe
29th Nov 2007, 10:49
You get used to any colour. I found the Boeing brown unpleasant, until I started using it. Still like dark grey best- I think it tends not to show too much the dirt, fluff, crumbs, grape seeds, croisant flakes, corn flakes, apple pips, tea/coffee stains, dust and greasy fingermarks that are in fact the main features of modern flight decks.

Jabawocky
29th Nov 2007, 11:18
I like a light blue-grey, soft on the eyes and instruments stand out well.

Here is my panel, or half of it!

http://a124.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/42/l_56b7efc0ea9a42b10ab702b7df9f3943.jpg

Rainboe
29th Nov 2007, 11:50
Nah! Garish. Matt black- can't beat it. Hides dirty finger marks which even grey shows.

md-100
29th Nov 2007, 12:42
Jaba... what AirCraft is that??

Fitter2
29th Nov 2007, 14:26
Are we into a new 'what panel' competition?

Looks like a Jabiru to me, and Jabawocky's title might be a clue?