PDA

View Full Version : A320 cockpit noise levels

An Paddy Eile
25th Nov 2007, 12:56
Just a quick question.

Been thinking about noise levels in the Airbus cockpit and use of intercom, ANR headsets, etc. My old company had numbers showing that the average noise level in the 320 was slightly higher than the maximum recommended for daily exposure. I think the recommendation was about 85db.

Does anyone know or have any info on this?? I remember being told that simply covering both ears with the headset, even the crappy, flimsy, floppy, Airbus ones, will provide enough attenuation to bring the levels back below the recommended max.

Thanks all!

Iceman49
25th Nov 2007, 20:59
Do not know what the db level in the 320 cockpit, however I do remember it as being one of the noiser aircraft I've flown. Additionally when the vents are closed in the cockpit a "rumble" noise is generated.

dontpickit
25th Nov 2007, 21:11
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=289795&highlight=cockpit+noise

kuwait340
25th Nov 2007, 21:20
Yeah...the A320 cockpit is noisy ...specially when the vent's are closed.

so what i do is try to open all the vents to reduce the noise ..it really makes a difference.

Dream Land
26th Nov 2007, 02:34
Noisy? Guess it's all about perspective, the quietest cockpit I been in on a mid size jet.

OneDotLow
26th Nov 2007, 04:18
Any noisier than the B767?

Farrell
26th Nov 2007, 05:06
I find that different types of noise can irritate me a lot more then just cockpits being loud in general.

It's difficult for most pilots to relate to the differences if they've only operated on one type.
The 320 is loud but not excessively so.

I find the 737NG to be one of the noisiest cockpits I have been in for a while.
The Fokker 70 / 100 is loud as well but the noise is mostly at the lower end of the spectrum. It's the higher end sounds from the NG that grate on me after a while.

The A340 and 777 are, for me, the most comfortable but there will always be those who beg to differ.
Horses for courses.

Telstar
26th Nov 2007, 07:07
Spend the money on a proper ANR headset and the bother goes away. Not a flimsy lightweight one with ANR only like the TELEX 850. This only gives you ANR (active relief). Something heavier like a Bose or a Seinnheiser HMEC series headset gives you a physical barrier (Called Passive protection) which I think makes the most difference, I fly the 737NG and it is very very noisy, not just wind noise. It is criminal that Boeing could certify this aircraft with the unbelievable racket off the Air Conditioning system. Using the above headset even with the batteries off gives a good level of comfort and the difference in fatigue is marked at the end of a long day.

soul_rider
27th Nov 2007, 10:09
After 10 years on A330-300s and moving over to the A320/321,the noise level difference is very noticeable. The ground noise due to the blowers and the general noise level in flight on the 320 can make one a little cranky after a long day, 4+ leg tour:cool:.The 321 is better in flight when you get it there.

I have been using a Airman 850 for the last 3 months and can only recommend this headset. No batteries,lightweight, comfortable and around 10db less for the nerves. It comes with the correct 5 pin plug and the correct impedance
for the AB / Boeing intercom system, no extra cables or hot mic's and very clear, low volume ATC.

Generally though, not enough is done by the design of cockpits in respect to noise, temp control, lighting, seating and placement of certain instruments (FMCU etc).Maybe the new generation 787/350 etc have had a little more pilot input

Wear the Fox Hat
27th Nov 2007, 11:08
Turn off the cabin fans! Works for me ;)

Mäx Reverse
27th Nov 2007, 11:33
Turning off the CAB FANS helps quite a lot on our oldest ships. It's expressively approved on GND as long as no PAX are on board (see FCOM Bulletin 805/1).

Unfortunately CAB FANS have been boosted up to a 'No-Go-Item' in our MEL a couple of years ago (No. installed 2, No. required 1), so simply switching them off is not possible any more IMHO, at least not officially. Until then we have kept them off on the noisiest ships all day long.

Only trouble was, that the Floor Area Heater in the FWD Galley was off with the CAB FANS selected OFF. However the heater was deactivated long time ago anyway. The new FPH which are just being evaluated seem to operate irrespective of the CAB FANS P/B, at least the green light in the switch on the FAP stays on.

Fokker79
9th Mar 2012, 18:23
Hi,
I just measure the Db in the A320 cockpit with an Ipad app. I got an average of 105 Db all the cruise flight. I read that above 75 Db of daily exposure you get damage to your ears. This damage means a slowly reduction in the hearing capacity.

PENKO
9th Mar 2012, 21:09
Noise is less than the 737NG but still warrants the use of ANR headsets on TO, and especially the climb (or descent and landing) up to the lower 300's. After that you could do without the ANR headsets, but I prefer them on until my ears get uncomfortable from the pressure of the headsets :E (=>2hrs cruise).

Definately get a pair of ANR headsets.

HPbleed
9th Mar 2012, 23:25
WTF first post on a 5 year old thread? Are you trying to resurrect the dead?

MD83FO
10th Mar 2012, 04:43
what about overriding blower fan on ground? cabbing fan doesn't really change noise much.

Green Guard
10th Mar 2012, 19:02
Did anybody ever measure noise level on any of DC9... MDxx family ?

captplaystation
10th Mar 2012, 19:24
My recollections of the -30 & -15 were that it was uncannily quiet, or has my memory faded so much with time ? The Fokker 100 would be too, if it wasn't for these dirty great fans that cut in at 1000' on the climb.
After 20 odd years on the 737 (7 on NG) I still pass my Audiogram having used the flimsy non ANR headsets provided by my respective employers. . . maybe I have just been lucky ? ? sorry. . . . could you say that again. . .what ? :rolleyes:

nnc0
11th Mar 2012, 16:29
FOKKER79
I have tested noise levels in the A320 flight deck on a good number of some of the oldest msns out there in an effort to justify installing ANR headsets as basic equipment in our fleet. Airbus conducted their own tests on some of the same fins as well. We don't have any of the ducting or 2 speed fan mods installed that might lower the noise level.

I don't know about ipads but with calibrated testing equipment outboard and inboard of the crews ears the noise levels only rose above 85 dBA momentarily and only on less than handful of flights when an short aural anunciated ( I forget which one ) Average noise levels were less than 76 dBA and the highest noise levels were actually experienced on the ground (structural/equipment vibrations fed back through contact with the ground?). This is well below OHS standards. Nonetheless, as you said, the noise levels are fatiguing and can be distracting.

We're looking at installing Airman 850s. They're not absolutely perfect in all conditions* but they are pretty effective and we have demonstrated that they meet or exceed certification requirements.

*with hot mic on, the INT volume needs to be high which leads to some background noise in the earpiece, That leads to hot mic probably being selected off during cruise when it's quiet. If ATC does then call, you won't be able to hear the other crew member's reply. The simple fix is to just uncover one ear during cruise.

Capn Bloggs
12th Mar 2012, 01:32
Did anybody ever measure noise level on any of DC9... MDxx family ?
What noise? The 717 doesn't even have a pilot intercom/hot mike, it's so quiet. :D