PDA

View Full Version : Alouette II from Florida to Panama

hihover
20th Nov 2007, 15:24
A friend of mine.....really, its not me..... is required to ferry an Alouette II from Central Florida to Panama in Central America next week. Sounds like a very exciting trip, however, I would be interested to know if anyone has done the trip as I have some questions.

1. How "GA Helicopter" friendly are the Central American countries?
2. Is there anywhere between Texas and Panama that is a "must avoid"?
3. Any potential traps?

Thanks in advance.

tam

rotor67
20th Nov 2007, 20:04
PM 3top, as he's done the trip from SoCal to Panama.

R91

mavila02
21st Nov 2007, 02:06
PM I may help your friend. Regards.

hihover
21st Nov 2007, 17:36
Thank you both

tam

BLEED-AIR
22nd Nov 2007, 14:07
Hihover this is the third time this week I have heard of Alouette II's been shipped or flown to Panama. Any idea who the operator is or are they migrating to Columbia. I understand Helipan is fairly large in Panama and they operate Alouette III's. Just Curious can you illuminate further.
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused:

hihover
22nd Nov 2007, 14:16
Bleed Air,

As far as I am aware this is a private purchase by an American for his own use down there.

I wonder if this activity you are hearing of is a result of the recent certification issues with Alouettes in the USA. Or perhaps an invasion force coming together.:eek:

BLEED-AIR
22nd Nov 2007, 14:29
Hihover I am assured the same certification measures apply in Panama, hence my suggestion of a migration to Columbia - less stringent alleged.:eek:
Keep Digging !!!!

captyankee
22nd Nov 2007, 22:28
Panama suddenly has an appetite for US Alouettes. We can thank the FAA and several "importers" for creating this situation. II's & III's don't have a good value since the FAA went after the airworthiness certs. Thus the Panamanians can get a great price due to the desperation of U.S. owners trying to recoup some of their investment. And the Panama CAA is either not well informed about the maintenance requirements or can be "bought. For there are no if, ands or butts about it, chapter 5 calendar requirements are not being complied with - In fact, I wonder how many that were flying in the US were really going by the book. And the fellows exporting these helicopters need to be very careful, for there is a lot of paperwork involved in the legal export of these ships _DDTC - the "big house" if you get caught busting the regs!!