PDA

View Full Version : Light aircraft crash in the loop.

RICKO
3rd Nov 2007, 07:35
Morning.
After spending all day on Cad photographing the usual locals and one or two pointy things we spotted a light aircraft exiting the loop late in the afternoon and within minutes it got into trouble and crashed into a tree in a field.
Whils one of us telephoned the police to report the crash I ran down the hill and was able to flag down a police car on his way to try and find the site, which was impossible to see from the road.
We managed to get to the crash site and being one of the first on the scene were able to direct others there.
Below is what we found!
The pilot was ok and was helped down from the reckage by which time an ambulance had arrived with the fire brigade to assist.
Lucky or what?
Richard.
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/SPEC%20INST/c+l+1+copy.JPG

Al R
3rd Nov 2007, 07:44
Good drills Richard, well done. Excellent news about the pilot.

Neat shot too. The fact that the tree is still standing speaks volumes for the strength of mother nature.

Ay the SAR flt at Valley we were notified by the Air Ambulance that they had been tasked to this but nothing came from the ARCCK as they had not been contacted at all. We thought it was a mistake by some non-aviation observer and that they had actually seen the aircraft disappear behind a hill and thought it had crashed. I guess we were wrong and someone was very very lucky to walk away from that.

airborne_artist
And this is what it looked like before:

http://www.airport-data.com/images/aircrafts/small/067/067498.jpg

RICKO
3rd Nov 2007, 07:56
He was a very lucky man indeed.
This is what came through 15 minutes before and you can see how low the cloud is in the background.
Richard.
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/SPEC%20INST/ISEOorkvJE0oDtuxwLaeq7mXBvWV5iEx0300.jpg

airborne_artist
3rd Nov 2007, 08:15
Ricko - what trouble did it appear to get into?

serf
3rd Nov 2007, 08:40
He was waving at a photographer and become disorientated.

RICKO
3rd Nov 2007, 09:13
Hi.

It looked as though he lost control in some way and started to spiral out of control and simlpy slammed into the tree.

Richard.

6Z3
3rd Nov 2007, 09:14
Looks like it's ripe for picking as the next caption competition!

Phil_R
3rd Nov 2007, 09:27
Thread hijack-a-go-go: why is that Tornado in what looks like 80s desert camo?

Phil

RICKO
3rd Nov 2007, 09:33
It is one of the RSAF Tornado currently at Warton i believe.
http://shutter08.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/17/009/7A/EF/F1/C9/YkZKpPDR4G4B5QZfdniHgHpAgbPYWf5N0300.jpg

Al R
3rd Nov 2007, 09:45
Great shot by the way. :D

RICKO
3rd Nov 2007, 10:17
An other view.
http://shutter10.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/16/007/57/5C/23/78/pdjlzTvm+VuIW7fusTix985K0UIeH9i90300.jpg

BluntM8
3rd Nov 2007, 10:24
Wow, what a lucky bloke. It's not often that you can fly into a tree and walk away. Bet he's shaken!

Flik Roll
3rd Nov 2007, 10:27
Looks like that tree saved his life. I'd take a tree over the ground anyday

RICKO
3rd Nov 2007, 10:45
Removed as suggested.

Just showing that he was ok.

Richard.

Fg Off Max Stout
3rd Nov 2007, 11:43
Ricko,
I think the usual photos of military aircraft in the Welsh mountains are absolutely first class and I would say that the photographs of the downed Luscombe probably have a legitimate flight safety merit on these pages. However, I can't help but feel that the picture in your last post is probably crossing the line and infringing the poor bloke's privacy somewhat. I'm sure the last thing he wants when he's been injured, his beautiful classic aeroplane has been wrecked and his pride severely dented is a paparazzi style situation, and it doesn't really add much to the aviation side of the story. To hear that he walked away from it is great news - I'm not sure I need to see a close up of the poor chap.

But...I don't make the rules. Maybe he cleared the photos, maybe he's fair game in a public place. I'm sure the tabloids would buy that photo but the broadsheets would choose one of the others. What do you think? I'm just interested - not picking a fight.

airborne_artist
3rd Nov 2007, 12:12
More on this on the Luscombe (http://www.europeanluscombes.org.uk/community/forum/viewtopic.php?t=241) forum.

OwnNav
3rd Nov 2007, 12:45
G-BUKT has a bit of history it seems:

http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources/dft_avsafety_pdf_502019.pdf

Utrinque Apparatus
3rd Nov 2007, 12:48
Lost RSAF Pilot perhaps ? Looks like Saudi Air Force livery to me

Utrinque Apparatus
3rd Nov 2007, 12:51
FOMS

Fair comment but what a pic !!? Had the aircraft impacted directly with the ground the result may well have been a little gorier and less likely to have been posted I suppose, but if the guy is OK then fair game.

Great flying to spill out of a loop and aim for the one tree in hundreds of yards :}

Fg Off Max Stout
3rd Nov 2007, 13:02
I think they mean 'The Loop' not 'a loop'. :ok:
http://www.warplane.co.uk/Wales.htm

tonker
3rd Nov 2007, 13:39
My great uncle did a flyby for his local pub whilst serving in the RFC. He and his Camel swooped down and whilst waving bravely and in a heroic fasion at the young ladies present, flew straight into the hedge at the end of the field.

As a young boy he used to explain to me this is why he now drove a traction engine as this was about all his attention span could manage!!!!!!

B_Fawlty
3rd Nov 2007, 15:54
It may have been the case that the nice springy tree made for a less abrupt halt for the unfortunate aircraft and pilot but the rapid appearance of a jaggy broken branch through the cockpit could seriously spoil someone's day :ouch:
Glad to hear that the pilot is safe and sound.

Tigs2
3rd Nov 2007, 15:55
Well done Richard :D:D. There's a story that will get you free pints in the pub for years:ok:

Two's in
3rd Nov 2007, 18:32
"Lucky" he hit that tree and narrowly avoided all that flat grass behind it you can see in the first shot...

johno617tonka
3rd Nov 2007, 19:18
is the 'loop' anywhere near....carno????

i do recall my days in a blue suit on as&tf there was a crash of a light a/c with a twin stick jag that ended very tragically....

the non mil a/c ended up in a similar position in a tree, although IIRC there was a lot less of it in said tree....

just wondered like.....

TEEEJ
4th Nov 2007, 11:40
Lost RSAF Pilot perhaps ? Looks like Saudi Air Force livery to me

In Saudi camouflage and registered as ZH917. A few Saudi IDS airframes are in the UK as part of the Tornado Sustainment Program.

Some images of ZH917 at Warton

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1197996/L/

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1106242/L/

mystic_meg
4th Nov 2007, 13:14
...time to change the B in the reg. for an F methinks...

Cyclone733
4th Nov 2007, 14:49
Guess I owe my EFT instructor an apology, maybe he wasn't quite as bonkers as I thought, suggesting aiming for the tops of the trees in the event of an EFATO following a departure off one of our more interesting runways. Choice of trees, railway, shark infested custard etc.

Good to hear the pilot is ok

PPRuNe Pop
4th Nov 2007, 15:19
I recall a test pilot of extreme note saying that you should put to good use the kinetic energy of an aircraft in impending crash by aiming bewteen two trees. The top of ONE will do if "that is all that's available."

Never tried it and I wouldn't know if it's right. But I'll bet that there is someone who will know!

Runaway Gun
4th Nov 2007, 21:05
I know of a pilot who made a mistake and realised that he was about to crash into a heavily wooded area. An instant decision had to be made, whether to try to pull up and suffer the possible consquences, or shut the throttle and aim between the trees. He decided on the latter, the wings were ripped off, and he stepped out of the wreckage unscathed.

kiwi chick
8th Nov 2007, 21:27
Oh my god, I cannot belive how LUCKY he was to hit one bloody tree!! In all that open land!!

My great uncle did a flyby for his local pub whilst serving in the RFC. He and his Camel swooped down and whilst waving bravely and in a heroic fasion at the young ladies present, flew straight into the hedge at the end of the field.

:D :D :D Now that is FUNNY! Pity that wasn't caught on camera... :ok:

I know I'd aim for the tops of trees - but I think Ag pilots are taught to pick a ridge to land up? (I know if I tried that I'd pick the wrong one, land safely, only to roll back down rearwards to my death... ;)

KC

Seldomfitforpurpose
8th Nov 2007, 21:45
Which Kiwi, is exactly why women should not be allowed out of the kitchen :E

kiwi chick
8th Nov 2007, 21:50
What? And let the accident rate per capita skyrocket? ;) :E

kiwi chick
8th Nov 2007, 22:48
Yes, yes, Samuraimatt, quite right, how silly of me.

Then he would have also felt lucky when the next thing he saw was the Pearly Gates.

:ugh:

kiwi chick
8th Nov 2007, 23:04
I don't think "landing" was an option.

"Coming to a sudden halt" seems more appropriate! ;)

Seldomfitforpurpose
8th Nov 2007, 23:09
Matt,

Just when I had convinced her that there was a very real reason women marry in white you go and blow it you stupid boy :rolleyes:

kiwi chick
8th Nov 2007, 23:17
Huh? :confused: :bored:

Seldomfitforpurpose
8th Nov 2007, 23:19
The defence rests :p

kiwi chick
8th Nov 2007, 23:23
Oh.... I see. You have a penis so you're automatically smarter than me.

What's your history, Seldomfitforpurpose ?

Care to put your money where your mouth is? ;)

Runaway Gun
8th Nov 2007, 23:23
If if was true that he had lost control, and spiraled or spun it in, then it does appear lucky that the tree arrested his fall.

I'm with KiwiChick on this one (and I don't normally think much of EnZed women).

kiwi chick
8th Nov 2007, 23:25
Thank you Runaway.

My IQ of 76 seems to have held me in good stead on this one.

(What did we ever do you, btw?! ;) )

Seldomfitforpurpose
8th Nov 2007, 23:45
Kiwi,

I apologise unreservedly, having attempted to introduce some banter which I suspect was cyclically inappropriate I will simply retire in the knowledge that maybe next week you may see where I was coming from :ok:

kiwi chick
8th Nov 2007, 23:52
Seldom

No, don't run away! Having never "met" you before, I didn't know if you were joking, or serious (like some other posters appear to be...)

I'm all up for banter - the cheekier the better!!!

For an intelligent woman ( :} ;) )I'm still trying to work out the "married in white" thing... I'm thinking ... virginal? Or whitewear (ie our closest companions... ;))

Kiwi Chick :ok:

spanners123
8th Nov 2007, 23:57
Kiwi,
it's an old joke:-
Why do women get married in white?
All kitchen appliance's come in white!
:ok:

Seldomfitforpurpose
8th Nov 2007, 23:59
Kiwi,

I could grow to love you miss..........as regards married in white..........it;s to match the fridge, washing machine and other associated kitchen appliances..........:E

My history is long and varied but currently about to reach the big 50, not a pilot but a captain and co pilots little helper :ok:

harrogate
9th Nov 2007, 00:24
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/harrogate/fukt.jpg

(Only a quick one. Coudn't be arsed doing the reflection in the puddle ;) )

kiwi chick
9th Nov 2007, 00:32
Harrogate :D :D :D :D

As usual, brilliant!!

seldomfitforpurpose

captain and co pilots little helper

Oh my god, are you an abacus or a spell-check? ;)

KC :ok:

Runaway Gun
9th Nov 2007, 00:43
They fixed that quick. Just a bit of 5 minute araldite and a new seat cover...

AllTrimDoubt
9th Nov 2007, 09:34
Methinks KiwiChick is a bit feisty, mmmm!

:ugh:

GPMG
9th Nov 2007, 10:12
Oh great, another hounding of a woman on an internet forum.
:rolleyes:

Seldomfitforpurpose
9th Nov 2007, 10:15
Bit unkind there GPMG suggesting she is a dog when you have never even met her :=

Flik Roll
9th Nov 2007, 13:52
Ah yet more girly banter....

There are many girls on here that everyone seems to think are blokes :8

I was going to attach an amusing powerpoint show called Blokes Rules but it appears that I can't

harrogate
9th Nov 2007, 16:40
Quote Flik Roll:

"Ah yet more girly banter....

There are many girls on here that everyone seems to think are blokes

I was going to attach an amusing powerpoint show called Blokes Rules but it appears that I can't."
------------------------------------------------------------------

Bless.

Get a bloke to do it, luv.

TEEEJ
9th Nov 2007, 17:22
A short video of a Typhoon pulling out of the 'loop' at the Bwlch. Taken a few days before the light aircraft crash.

http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff31/lluniauawyrenau/?action=view&current=30-10-2007-5.flv

Flik Roll
9th Nov 2007, 17:30
Harrogate...

waaah

samuraimatt
9th Nov 2007, 22:09
There are many girls on here that everyone seems to think are blokes

You've seen the photo's in Jet Blast as well uh?

LowObservable
12th Nov 2007, 16:29
Caption:

Tweet :mad:ing Tweet