PDA

View Full Version : IATRA

Kliperoo
20th Oct 2007, 19:48
Hi All,

Im starting to study for the IATRA and was wondering if anyone could give me a heads up on what they used to study for the exam other than the AIM, ACWM and FTGU. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

MrBurberry
21st Oct 2007, 00:44
Aerocourse is a really good book. I found that the Culhane wasn't all that helpful, and for saying that I probably now have a lawsuit on my hands. B

Aerocourse Workbook/W questions,
Air Command Weather Manuel is a must,
Turbine Pilots Manual is good fun too.

FTGU has ALOT off good information that is often missed even after reading it once or twice.

Kliperoo
22nd Oct 2007, 00:26
Thank you!!

Kliperoo
26th Oct 2007, 20:43
OK...just got back from writing the IATRA. First things first - remember your flight computer...doing the wind calcs by vector diagrams is just too hard! :\

At any rate, here is a list of the questions that I remember. Just as people told me, read the TC AIM. It has most of the information in there, and memorize the formulas in FTGU.

1. With respect to an aircraft, who is the operator? (given the owner, PIC, the company flying it and something else)
2. The maximum speed for an aircraft operated below 10,000' ASL is? (250)
3. What is the lowest level of the Arctic Control Area? (FL270)
4. You are flying VFR in the vicinity of the ADIZ on a flight plan, you have to notify ATC of a delay of x minutes and/or x nautical miles (5 min, 20 miles)
5. Youre given a NOTAM for YOW about the NDB being unservicable until APPROX x time. When can you use the NDB? (When there is a cancelling NOTAM published)
6. In BETA, what controls prop pitch (power levers)
7. What is EPR?
8. Calculate TAS
9. Calculate the time to Critical Point from Gander to Gatwick.
10. Calculate the in-flight wind speed.
11. What is the difference between Vra and Vb (I only got this because the right answer is the only correct answer for Vb)
13. You are in a turbo-prop coming in fast, what is the proper landing technique.
14. You are about to cross a Jet Stream with a decreasing temperature.How do you proceed to avoid turbulence?
15. There are embedded thunderstorms behind an area of moderate rain, how will the weather radar be affected?
16. Given a couple times with fuel flows, and you are expected to find the total fuel for flight plus VFR night reserves.
17. What stops a prop from going into reverse during flight?
18. Given a TAF a Metar and SPECI and asked to determine if the weather is going faster, slower or as expected.
19. Find the speed, altitude and expected turbulence of a Jet Stream from a chart
20. You are flying from A to B and begin to experience -FZRA, what should you do?
21. You forget to reset your subscale going through 18,000'. What alt will ATC see when you reset it?
22. Given some figures and asked to find the amount of weight to move.
23. Given a list of definitions, and asked to find which is correct (TORA,TODA,ASDA and LDA - answer is LDA)
24. How goes GPS work (its the answer that says triangulation)
25. How is clear ice formed?
26. You descend from x altitude to the ground. The temp up top was -20 and down below it is 10, what could happen to the wings? (cold soak phenom.)
27. What does a jet engine have to prevent compressor stall?
28. You are using Type II and IV de-icing fluids, what speeds should you not use them on (answer is with a Vr below 100 knots)
29. Can you take medication when...type question?
30. What is Dynamic Hydroplanning?
31. Given a 2 bar VASIS..how do you know youre on track? (this is easy considering one of the answers is "red/green")
32. Calculate %Mac. Given figures in feet - dont let that throw you, cause it did with me (I dont know why!), I bookmarked it and then thought why should that make a diff...wasted about 5 mins!
33. FL310 or FL270, which is the best SGR? It was 0.17 from memory
34. What do vortex generators do?
35. How does a Machmeter work?
36. What is the worst for DME (short and high)?
37. What is CRM all about? (thats almost word for word)
38. You disagree with the Captain, what should you do if you are nervous (answer is to get over it, voice your opinion, etc)

There were another 12 questions, but for some reason I cant remember them. :ugh:

The exam went Air Law, Met and theory, Nav then Human Factors. You get 2 hours for 50 questions, and if you forget your flight calc youll need it all to do your vector diagrams. Of all the wind based calcs, I got 2 out of the 4 correct so it can be done...just learn from me and dont do it manually. I would have aced it otherwise.

I used the AIM, FTGU, ACWM, Aerocourse and the IATRA exam book from Auslander Pub (half decent). Like I said above though, AIM has almost everything you need bar the formulas.

Islanderguy
27th Oct 2007, 14:59
Your answers are all wrong, i'll help you by giving you the right ones, pay attention here kids.

1. Pilot operates airplane.
2. barber pole.
3. 300 agl.
4. turn off transponder.
5. use gps.
6. the pilot.
7. jet lingo.
8. no, that's the fms's job
9. see above
10. this is getting repetitive.
11. that's classified.
13. chop and drop.
14. this is what ride reports are for.
15. stay out of the red.
16. refer to answer #8.
17. company sop's no longer allow beta descents. damn it.
18. it doesn't matter, you're going anyway.
19. this is getting repetitive, hello?? fms??
20. turn on ignition, also a good idea if you unexpectedly fly through a drop zone.
21. pay attention.
22. consult your nearest rampie, after all, they're the ones moving said weight.
23. semantics, i can make those letters stand for anything.
24. magic, and many tiny elves, working together in perfect harmony.
25. In a tray, in my freezer, removed by applying scotch, preferably in a glass.
26. whatever happens, they'll still be there.
27. hey, i know this.
28. you'll have the environmentalists after you now.
29. absolutely.
30. exciting.
31. if you're still in the air, you're doing allright.
32. fms
33. just answer fms on every question, you'll probably pass.
34. they generate vortexes, come on, that's the stupidest question ever.
35. something to do with elves.
36. you're still close either way.
37. why are you talking? shut up, i'm in charge
38. sure, speak up, hope you like the taste of the back of my hand.

class dismissed

THEICEMAN
29th Oct 2007, 08:14
Islander guy " 4. turn off transponder."

:} that was great!

Kliperoo
29th Oct 2007, 17:12
:D

Oh, sorry my bad - those are all the correct answers. Dammit! Ill just have to remember that for the ATPL's! lol

Airspeed-X
30th Oct 2007, 23:21
Haha! This thread has made my day. Thanks for the wealth of knowledge Islanderguy. :ok: