PDA

View Full Version : Scramjets?

future.boeing.cpt
16th Oct 2007, 08:09
Are there currently any known aircraft that are powered by these beasts?

cornish-stormrider
16th Oct 2007, 08:55
:EBeadwindow:E

Beware the men in black omega's who are en-route to your location.

Seriously, I have never heard of a true scramjet in use but I would imagine that the yanks have tried one somewhere

LowObservable
16th Oct 2007, 13:29
There are no known operational scramjets. Actually I rather doubt that there are any operational SCRJs, known or unknown.

Now, ramjets....

Start searching things like HyFly and X-51A for the status of SCRJs. In the known world (I'm not sure the black world is much farther ahead) the SCRJ world is progressing towards airborne test vehicles - as opposed to ground rigs - that run scramjets for a length of time that would be associated with a practical missile profile... 500 miles or a few minutes.

dakkg651
16th Oct 2007, 13:41
I,m pretty certain that Thunderbird 2 is powered by scramjets!

Tigs2
16th Oct 2007, 15:45
No it was Thunderbird 1 flown by Scramjet Scott

dakkg651
16th Oct 2007, 16:44
Sorry Tigs

Thunderbird 1 was powered by J79s running on AVTAG. Hence the trail of black smoke it left behind.

Incidentally, Thunderbird 1 must surely be the only swing wing aircraft that ever worked properly!

splitbrain
16th Oct 2007, 17:06
I think the technology is only in its infancy although it has been tried on a demonstrator. We're probably still a good few years off seeing a production vehicle with such a powerplant.

johnny99
16th Oct 2007, 19:32
As you would expect NASA has current scramjet experience.

http://www.nasa.gov/missions/research/f_scramjets.html

Alber Ratman
17th Oct 2007, 08:46
[quote]: Incidentally, Thunderbird 1 must surely be the only swing wing aircraft that ever worked properly![quote]

And don't us CMU gents know it!:mad:

Arm out the window
17th Oct 2007, 09:26
Actually, I think it's us hero Aussies who have recently been the first to demonstrate thrust produced by a scramjet in tests, albeit briefly.
Unless I'm totally barking up the wrong tree, which could well be possible, working scramjets for operational use are still a way away, so to speak.

c-bert
17th Oct 2007, 10:18
I think the main issue with scramjets is that you have to be going at Mach 2 or so before you can get them to start. Calls for a fairly long runway....:E

Green Flash
17th Oct 2007, 10:29
Calls for a fairly long runway....
Thank you c-bert:):ok: Spilt me tea!

c-bert
17th Oct 2007, 10:34
Spilt me tea!

I dare say that would happen even in Virgin Atlantic First Class at that speed.